HMS Sphinx 1775 by Hollowneck - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Good advice, Tom.

If one is going deep into the rigging "weeds" the "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War" by James Lees is an essential. It does illustrate many of the earlier rigging conventions of the late 16th & early 17th-century larger English ships (3rd, 2nd & 1st Rate). As the title indicates, there is very clear illustration of other critical ship rigging elements- like masting and spars, anchor & capstan details, etc. It covers changes made over two centuries of ship building, with diagrams illustrating those changes.

I acquired this book a few years ago when it wasn't so pricey. For many it may be out-of reach at $300+

https://www.amazon.com/Masting-Rigging-English-Ships-1625-1860/dp/0870219480/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3G0IWDRWUWQ7N&keywords="The+Masting+and+Rigging+of+English+Ships+of+War"+by+James+Lees&qid=1678821406&sprefix=the+masting+and+rigging+of+english+ships+of+war+by+james+lees+%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-1

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Hi Ron

Following your message to me I caught up on your log for HMS Camilla. I'm not fond of dioramas or figures on ships but what you have done with both and all else blows me away. From the details to the sails to the swirling pennant and the deep blue sea is just extraordinary. I swallow my words. This is a ship in real seaborne flight - I love it and it is a work of art.

Cheers,

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I acquired this book a few years ago when it wasn't so pricey. For many it may be out-of reach at $300+

https://www.amazon.com/Masting-Rigging-English-Ships-1625-1860/dp/0870219480/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3G0IWDRWUWQ7N&keywords="The+Masting+and+Rigging+of+English+Ships+of+War"+by+James+Lees&qid=1678821406&sprefix=the+masting+and+rigging+of+english+ships+of+war+by+james+lees+%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-1

That ia an incredible price!  While the book has been out of print for many years, you can find it for a much lower price from a used book dealer, or from a retired modeler's sale.  You need to be a bit lucky, but they are out there.  Also, if you can't find Lees, Steel's Elements of Mastmaking, Sailmaking, and Rigging is available digitally.  You can likely find a used copy somewhere, although there are very few drawings and you need to puzzle out the 19th century text.

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)