HMS Sphinx 1775 by Hollowneck - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Like I have done for my previous diorama models, I've compiled a 11" X 14" large-format book of photos I've taken of my HMS Camilla model in her seascape presentation. This 24-page hardcover picture book also contains a greatly truncated historical reference to the Royal Navy warship that served throughout the British/American War of 1776-1783. There are no Build Log photos in this book as seen here in the forum. The photos of the completed model are juxtaposed with several illustrations by artist Nicholas Pocock's paintings of the era to lend some context to the ship's legacy.

CAMBook01.thumb.JPG.5ab63328de0450a4e85f82eb4855cb5e.JPG

Edited by hollowneck
grammar fix

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

28 minutes ago, James H said:

What a great final product to have for the build!

You really should consider doing an Indy in that format. Maybe at port anchor and being loaded with provisions etc? I only suggest it as I know it'd look great and I wouldn't be able to pull it off myself 🤣

Thank You, James.

What an interesting idea for a (large) diorama!...Quayside, sails furled, Burton pendants (and other spars) hoisting a last-minute carronade, water and provision barrels being swung over from the dock, etc. I also like the idea of placid water at the waterline. I think I could only pull this off if Chris could make a handful of figures I could add to such a depiction. Building one of Chris' models in this manner would truly be like jazz improvisation!

RNCAMILLA.jpg.18b495c9493102c7d3e021ca84be34ec.jpg

Me (and HMS Camilla) at this month's Philadelphia Ship Model Society's meeting earlier this week. The diorama's "footprint" is not modest; I wonder how large a dockside depiction of Pellew's cruiser Indy would need to be?

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

19 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Looks wonderful Ron 👍

B.E.

Thank You Kindly, B.E.

Ron

beautiful work, and been a pleasure following

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Looks great, Ron. And you don't look so bad either!

Ahhhh, shucks, druxey. Thanks.

Ron

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

beautiful work, and been a pleasure following

Thank you, Kevin. My turn to follow your Build Log for Chris' Indy. You're chugging right along on her! Good, informative posts.

Ron

2 hours ago, James H said:

She really is just beautiful. Skills I could only dream of emulating.

Thanks, James. I'm inclined to blush reading this...and humbled by Chris' and your work to design a kit* of this calibre.

*and other goodies like Vanguard's 3D-printed "clinker" boat and no less than ten über-detailed figures that bring her to life.

Ron

23 hours ago, hollowneck said:

What an interesting idea for a (large) diorama!...Quayside, sails furled, Burton pendants (and other spars) hoisting a last-minute carronade, water and provision barrels being swung over from the dock, etc. I also like the idea of placid water at the waterline. I think I could only pull this off if Chris could make a handful of figures I could add to such a depiction. Building one of Chris' models in this manner would truly be like jazz improvisation!

This would be a fantastic diorama and you most certainly have the skills to pull it off! I hope the idea grows on you and we get follow along on epic build at some point.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

49 minutes ago, BobG said:

This would be a fantastic diorama and you most certainly have the skills to pull it off! I hope the idea grows on you and we get follow along on epic build at some point.

Bob, thanks for the (indirect) high fives on James' Indy Build idea for me. Admittedly, I am now thinking about this Indy diorama prospect and just need to figure out a legal way to get back at James for this enticing tease!...I admit, my modeling fingers are sort of itching to line-up a new, challenging project. But first, I've got to clean up my shop: that will occupy me for a couple months.😆

Ron

That's an excellent model and diorama Ron. Very well done!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Outstanding Sir! One photo there, I had to double take a look cause it looked like a photo of a real ship and the sea. I know it’s supposed to. 😄

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

53 minutes ago, Rustyj said:

That's an excellent model and diorama Ron. Very well done!

Many Thanks, Rusty.

Ron

23 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Outstanding Sir! One photo there, I had to double take a look cause it looked like a photo of a real ship and the sea. I know it’s supposed to. 😄

Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated. That's my speciality: double-takes! "Is that a ship on the sea, or are you just happy to see me?"🤣

Ron

Really amazing work, from the moment I saw this log I have been amazed by it. Thanks for the time you took to share with us.  Indy, your way to busy  lol. But this is a very nice model you have done. Amazing   :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

10 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated. That's my speciality: double-takes! "Is that a ship on the sea, or are you just happy to see me?"🤣

Bahahaha

29 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

Really amazing work, from the moment I saw this log I have been amazed by it. Thanks for the time you took to share with us.  Indy, your way to busy  lol. But this is a very nice model you have done. Amazing   :cheers:

Thank You, thank you, thank you.....You are most welcome. This was a very gratifying build: great engineering and quality of components, well-done plans and instructions, lots of places to add one's own "special sauce" - what more can a ship modeler ask for?

Oh yeah, maybe next kit can throw in a pint of Guinness.

Ron

30 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

Bahahaha

Back 'atcha, Brian. Thank You to U2.

Ron

11 minutes ago, toms10 said:

Truly amazing. Looking forward to seeing it at the NE conference. 
Tom

Big Thanks, Tom.

It will be good to see you as well as all the NE club crews in New London this spring. I'm also looking forward to seeing your latest project, likely another NE show future award-winner!

Ron

Thank you kindly @Spooky spoon. Rigging a sailing model, especially a complex, large vessel with square sails (during the “Age of Sail”), requires knowledge, a good set of plans, the correct mechanical bits (including rope,not thread),and lots of patience and TIME. I remind my friends in our hobby that once they’ve completed a fully-loaded hull, their build of a full-on sailing vessel is at about a halfway point in modeling terms. Personally, I really enjoy the complex challenges involved with rigging; I know there are many who dislike and even “hate” it. This is but one example of how eclectic our hobby remains; after all, because crafting model ships (whether scratch or kit)is a pastime, the whole idea is to seek relaxation, pleasure and a host of other satisfactions.

Go For It, I say! There are many really excellent resources here in the forum on how to up your rigging game; my Build Log is but one source.

Ron

23 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Thank you kindly @Spooky spoon. Rigging a sailing model, especially a complex, large vessel with square sails (during the “Age of Sail”), requires knowledge, a good set of plans, the correct mechanical bits (including rope,not thread),and lots of patience and TIME. I remind my friends in our hobby that once they’ve completed a fully-loaded hull, their build of a full-on sailing vessel is at about a halfway point in modeling terms. Personally, I really enjoy the complex challenges involved with rigging; I know there are many who dislike and even “hate” it. This is but one example of how eclectic our hobby remains; after all, because crafting model ships (whether scratch or kit)is a pastime, the whole idea is to seek relaxation, pleasure and a host of other satisfactions.

Go For It, I say! There are many really excellent resources here in the forum on how to up your rigging game; my Build Log is but one source.

Thank you very much.  Are there any specific resources you would recommend?  I've had a look around here but most of what I found deal more with what to do, instead of how to do it.  I've also been looking to buy some books (I know Lee is very highly regarded but it seems to be out of print here).  You're right about the start of rigging being a halfway point; I already feel like of learned so much even though I've just done the shrouds.

2 hours ago, Spooky spoon said:

I've also been looking to buy some books (I know Lee is very highly regarded but it seems to be out of print here).  

Spooky,

I saw this comment, and I thought, "Well, I'll just buy it down here and send it up there for him". Amazon has a used copy for $154.00! That was the end of that idea. The other option is to scan the build logs of Ed Tosti, David Antscherl, as well as Hollowneck. Probably others that escape me right now, but they all show you both what to do and how to do it.

Tom

On 3/13/2023 at 12:47 PM, Spooky spoon said:

Thank you very much.  Are there any specific resources you would recommend?  I've had a look around here but most of what I found deal more with what to do, instead of how to do it.  I've also been looking to buy some books (I know Lee is very highly regarded but it seems to be out of print here).  You're right about the start of rigging being a halfway point; I already feel like of learned so much even though I've just done the shrouds.

Here is a ‘go-to’ book I’ve used for years: Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson. Go to Amazon; Kindle edition:$12.; Hardcover: $35. & Softcover= $80!!

This book’s strength is in the myriad of detailed visuals and extensive treatment for typical era square-rigged ships, including sail plans. The Lees book is also helpful, and I do refer to it; however, it is not essential for most modelers.

Good Luck. You can do it!

https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Period-Models-Step-Step/dp/1848321023/ref=sr_1_1?crid=32OZM53EG8N00&keywords=lennarth+petersson&qid=1678820704&sprefix=Lennarth%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-1

Edited by hollowneck
spelling fix! Corrected Amazon link

Ron

Ron,

I have used Petersson's book as well because of the excellent drawings that make the explanations in other books clearer.  That said, you need to use caution with this particular book for the simple reason that it is rigging for a first- or second-rate ship, English, post 1790.   For a general explanation of the run of a line, the book is excellent.  However, if you are building a smaller ship for a different period, and it is English, by far the best book to use is "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War" by James Lees.  It is a little tough to go through some of the word descriptions in Lees, but the diagrams help out and you can use Petersson to supplement.  The book fully describes how the lead and fixing points for the various lines changed for various establishments as well as where they belayed.  It also explains where single and double blocks were used.  For example, there are many instances where a double or triple block was used for third rate and above, but only a single block was used in the lower rates.  Topmast or Topgallant yards on large ships have double and tripled lifts while smaller ships used only single lift.  Also, take into account that belaying pins were generally not used prior to about 1790 depending on the size of the craft as well as nationality.  You could also use Lees for Colonial Ships and maybe for latter.  However, there are lists of Boatswains Stores of the Navy of the United States that was republished in the Nautical Research Journal.  There are also several books out there for other nations ships.  

So, Petersson's book is excellent in that it has very clear drawings.  However, if you aren't building and English SOL in about 1800 you need to use a supplement to make the rig accurate.

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)