HMS Sphinx 1775 by Hollowneck - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

For those who have been following my diorama water creation, here are the two most important references I used to determine the color and state of HMS Camilla's seascape: the first graphic from one of the U.K.'s foremost nautical/maritime painters, Geoff Hunt and the second, an iStock photo searched online.

CAMWaterHuntRef.jpg.7825c95d7aa0a820c4f51d4213b8be51.jpg

Here, my inspiration was the size of the waves and the stem/cutwater spray at her head…this is a "three-decker"; I imagined what this sea would look like battering a small frigate.

CAMWaterStockImg.jpg.e9bbc6db460ef3bda698cfa1187efa1c.jpg

And here, the predominant inky green color and the roiled sea surface from confusing winds for inspiration. Note the weather in the sky...a squall in the distance (left).

I have gathered a large folder of sea photos and (mostly) 18/19th-C paintings, some contemporary, others legacy; these two graphics were the ones I had in front of me even when I was working on the plaster surface of the aluminum/cotton ShaperSheet forms.

My sincere Thank You's to @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS @James G @Nipper @shipman @Thukydides @Paul Le Wol @druxey @chris watton @VTHokiEE @CaptnBirdseye & @Trussben for your generous comments.

--------

I am tentatively scheduled to do a narrated NRG Online Workshop on diorama making early next year. I plan to post an outline of the content in advance that will include examining my previous model diorama builds as well as different materials and techniques from others. Per previous online Workshops, this will be free for NRG Members.

Edited by hollowneck
silly self-correcting typos!

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Well done Ron. You can almost feel the wave motion. I spent enough time shipboard during my 20 years of service. I've seen everything from dead calm smooth as glass, to 40 foot + in a typhoon for three days in  U.S. Navy small boys. I've been through the English Channel a number of times and cannot remember a time when it was actually calm. That is more due to current flow, where it is located and depth of water than weather conditions. It gets rather choppy in a good blow. 

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

8 hours ago, hollowneck said:

I am tentatively scheduled to do a narrated NRG Online Workshop on diorama making early next year. I plan to post an outline of the content in advance that will include examining my previous model diorama builds as well as different materials and techniques from others. Per previous online Workshops, this will be free for NRG Members.

I look forward to this workshop.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Just today I started looking , on  how to make water, yours is amazing , I want to be on the list of  that NRG online work shop for sure   unbelievable work :cheers: 

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Many Thanks to @Oldsalt1950, @robert952 and @Knocklouder.

As soon as the final timetable and details are available, I'll announce my NRG ZOOM Workshop.

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I've finished the case staining (Minwax Pecan)and finish sealing (Minwax Wipe-On Poly - Semigloss) and here are a couple photos showing how this turned out.

Also, these photos are a test of the new iPhone 14ProMax phone camera. I did nothing special with the camera and the lighting remains "workshop" quality, not studio controlled. The lenses in the phone's camera(s) are superb. The sensor is quite large so image resolution (crispness ) is very evident here. The main benefit of shooting with my DSLR will be the gain in depth-of-field with longer exposures and small apertures. I'm excited that in many situations the new iPhone 14 will get the job done....HOWEVER... it remains to be seen how studio lighting will yield even better photos with this iPhone 14Pro.

Those who have followed this log will clearly see the difference between my earlier iPhone 6 pics I've posted up to this post and these new ones I've uploaded here. My trusty iPhone 6 can be said to be "ancient technology" (comparatively-speaking!)...

iP14Test005.thumb.jpg.a029484b0ad0318f3cf96681c5efd8c1.jpg

iP14Test006.thumb.jpg.00af0426c25f53cf501b6f5eb7231128.jpg

iP14Test001.thumb.jpg.9ebf34f9db90a12f4828b2a3a97afe17.jpg

iP14Test002.thumb.jpg.58d68cecfebf63c8d76b470550a9246a.jpg

iP14Test003.thumb.jpg.8f3edbc7bfbd1a73fb194fd005195051.jpg

Edited by hollowneck
Photo duplication removed

Ron

Crazy good Ron.  Just pretty much perfect in every aspect, including the photos.

18 hours ago, HardeeHarHar said:

Just pretty much perfect in every aspect, including the photos.

Thank You, Brian. Taking a boatload of hi-res photos will be the next rewarding step in my journey.

10 hours ago, Beckmann said:

Absolutely magnificent!! I am looking forward to this workshop you are planning about water surfaces. I will propably overwork my Unicorn diorama afterwards.

Matthias

Thanks Matthias. Your Unicorn diorama is superb in all aspects: to my eyes you needn't "overwork" it. But do come to my ZOOM Workshop this coming year. I'll post an announcement here when details are finalized. The announcement will appear in this thread as well as in MSW's "NRG News & Information" subtopic.

I urge you to consider becoming an NRG member. The NRG's quarterly journal is one of the best, regularly published magazines for our hobby. And, it's digitally delivered - in a 100-page, full color folio. Valuable NRG merchandise is also available to Members with good discounts. You'll also be pleased to know that the NRG has a good number of International Members.

Edited by hollowneck
added text

Ron

Something for Everyone Topic, or how I learned to love how Santa's mind works.

RiggingGloves.thumb.jpg.f44e82b44e6d75c8ef6d767f2f29fcb5.jpg

Special "Rigging Gloves" with two bright LED lights positioned at the base of the forefinger and the ring finger (or pinky, to suit). ..and the best part?

RigGlovesLR.thumb.jpg.4503c4dace7be30bd52b09528374ff75.jpg

They come in pairs, left & right, batteries included and installed. These SpaceAge gloves will come in handy for those who no longer want to hold a small flashlight between their teeth whilst rigging (or doing anything else where these awesome gloves might come in handy).

Endorsed by thieves with a specialty in lock picking and by poker players who can still have a game when there are rolling blackouts.

Essential Wear/WARE for 2023. 

If there's sufficient interest here, I'll contact Santa and see if his workers are not out on strike...

Edited by hollowneck
grammar

Ron

Just looking at those photos, I can almost smell the sea air.  Just an amazing diorama.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Simply spectacular, Ron! The realism is mind-boggling!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I can only echo what everyone else has said Ron - simply magnificent, the most realistic representation of the sea I've ever seen (and the ship ain't 'alf bad either!).

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thank You all kindly @mtaylor@Blue Ensign, @BobG & @DelF 

Edited by hollowneck
added link name

Ron

I have successfully opened @VTHokiEE's compiled Build Log for my HMS Camilla. The file is 259 MB with a total of 648 pdf pages conforming to a "normal" print-friendly format of 8.5" X 11." Outstanding. I haven't perused all 648 pages, but I intend over the next few days to double-check the fidelity; on a brief first pass (approx. 100 pages) I noticed only one graphics page (pg. 14) didn't successfully load; every text page appears intact.

I graciously Thank @VTHokiEE you for the significant software work to make this happen. I can recommend to @James H that this works very well. Where we go from here is not clear to me but I do suggest the obvious: do contact @James H and see how he can implement this tool on the site.

Ron

42 minutes ago, James H said:

That is sort of ongoing as a possible plugin. Our forum uses proprietary software, and although we can make amendments etc. these things are best done by uploading as an app/module, and not by tinkering with pages of code that aren't ours.

Thanks James, understood. I hope @VTHokiEE will finalize and make his app/module available to MSW. He's generously done this compilation for me and it is still a work in progress - as he's noted. I would hope that he can make his software available to others here.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

As many have noted, very well done!  Your log just sort of stopped though the model is marked as finished. Did you post a gallery?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

As many have noted, very well done!  Your log just sort of stopped though the model is marked as finished. Did you post a gallery?

Thank you, Glenn.

Yes. There is an extensive photo gallery on my forum "home page." Why it's listed the 4th down entry for my model albums I have no idea....but the Camilla photos are posted there. Like everyone else, these holidays were crazy busy for me and I may have overlooked formally posting info on my log here for folks that they could go to my gallery albums; my apologies for this.

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

Superb!

Thank You, Chris. You (& Jim) are the one's responsible for creating such a fine kit. Your excellent work allowed me to get crazy with additional details and then get super-excited to put her into a roiling sea!

Ron

Your signature links don’t appear to be hyperlinks to your builds and gallery?

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

5 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Your signature links don’t appear to be hyperlinks to your builds and gallery?

True, you're correct: I need to link these signature items so they go to the proper places. I haven't realized how this software goodie works until recently. Now that a yearlong build is completed I will make the time for a little member maintenance! Thanks for reminding me.

Ron

Ron,

Really sweet looking model and display. As always, your attention to detail and craftsmanship is top level. Hopefully I will see it in person at the Northeast Conference in April. Congratulations on a great model. 

Also thank you for taking the time to put together an awesome build log. It was inspiring and packed with great “how to” information. 
Tom

13 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Thanks for reminding me.

You have a lot of very nice work, we want to be able to find it easily.  

Regards,

Glenn