Lady Eleanor by Steve G - Vanguard Models - 1:64

After a LOT of sanding,

🙂  Yup, I know the feeling.

I think some of my first planking was sanded almost paper thin in places and I was worried that the 2nd planking would have nothing substantial to hang on to.... but it turned out OK.

I think the reason mine was paper thin was to compensate for not sanding the bulkheads correctly in the first place.  On my next hull I will put a lot more effort into getting the bulkhead contours correct rather than charging through that part of the build (...he says).

Anyway, she's definitely starting to look like a Fifie!

Richard

1 minute ago, Rik Thistle said:

After a LOT of sanding,

🙂  Yup, I know the feeling.

I think some of my first planking was sanded almost paper thin in places and I was worried that the 2nd planking would have nothing substantial to hang on to.... but it turned out OK.

I think the reason mine was paper thin was to compensate for not sanding the bulkheads correctly in the first place.  On my next hull I will put a lot more effort into getting the bulkhead contours correct rather than charging through that part of the build (...he says).

Anyway, she's definitely starting to look like a Fifie!

Richard

Cheers Richard. I'm constantly referring to your and BEs build log. 

This is so far out of my comfort  zone I could be on another planet. Thankfully, the kit and instructions are incredibly well put together and the encouragement offered on here is priceless.

After a bit of a break I've recommenced the Hull planking and am quickly discovering that the minor and,  as I thought, insignificant errors made earlier in the build are coming back to bite me. 

I don't mind too much as I very much consider this to be my learning experience and in some ways, making these mistakes early on is a good thing as it prepares me for my next adventure, and I still intend to make as good a job of this as I can. 

Fortunately,  from my previous experiences, the only people who will see the mistakes are people who build these things themselves and there are precious few in the circles I associate with.

20211126_153201.jpg

Looks fine to me Steve, although I hope those reddish patches aren't blood!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Steve,

She looks fine in the pic, but maybe you are finding some 2nd planks don't sit flush next to their neighbours?

IIRC, I had a bit of that ...I locally unglued those areas, slipped a thin section of sanded plank/shim underneath the 'sunken' planks to push the misaligned planks out to lie flush with the adjacent plank. Then a final sanding and all was resonably flat and plenty good enough.

Richard

Slightly reluctant to post this pic as it does not show the good bits and seems to highlight the poor bits. But, I know the trimming at the bow and stern are not all they could be, but I have a cunning plan. 

Amazed at how much sanding is needed to get this right. I'm only about 1/4 the way through and a lot more to do. I tend to work for about 20min and then have a good few hours break. It allows me to rationalise the task better.

20211204_130416.jpg

On 12/3/2021 at 5:35 AM, Steve G said:

But I'm happy so far.

And so you should be!

For me, it tends to be the journey rather than the destination that is the object of this exercise.

The planking on my Endeavour looked rough - but now that it is sanded and painted, it (almost) a joy to behold.

I have yet to post a picture or two. Have to wait to get the camera out.

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

• 1 month later...