Greetings

SteveB37

I'm jotting this introductory 'Hello' with a considerable amount of trepidation. Seasoned members/builders will be very familiar with my path leading to arriving here and the most common outcome: enthusiastic noob says hello, starts build log, posts various levels of progress photos, disappears without trace. Will I be any different? I hope so, but undoubtedly so did all the others. 

I have a limited and uninspiring history of plastic scale model kits. Selection has mainly been by a subject piquing my interest whilst watching skilled and experienced YouTube modellers making things look easy and thus repeatedly biting off far more than I can comfortably chew. 

I came to modelling fairly late in life as opposed to rekindling a boyhood interest and my oft repeated desire to produce projects beyond my skill set is exactly how I landed here. The incredibly strong compunction to produce HMS Beagle to the standard of the example I viewed was almost overwhelming. It has a soft spot in my heart due to its most famous passenger and the story of its latter Captain.

Thankfully, this time I realised in advance of actually diving straight in and buying the thing that I would be out of my depth and am now the proud owner of an unopened Polaris. Time will tell how this fits with a new builder. In particular, me. 

The sensibility of that decision was rammed home within my 1st hour here, the 'cautionary tale' by Chuck and a search through Polaris build logs (the majority unfinished) has left me glad that I didn't buy Beagle. 

The current plan is to perform the parts identification/check list and start construction over the coming holidays. I have a suitable workspace, lighting and a decent tool/paint set and am currently assembling basic requirements for a wooden model. 

I will start the inevitable build journal when the time comes as I'm going to need all the help I can get. 

Will hopefully meet some of you on your own threads prior to this and be testing your patience with noob questions and comments. 

Cheers, Steve. 

Welcome! It appears you have the mind set which is the prerequisite for success, success being the enjoyment of the process of the incremental acquisition of skill and experience. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are good ship models. It all begins when you start. If one commits themselves to doing the common things uncommonly well, one step at a time, you'll do just fine.

Steve, Welcome to MSW.

Bob is right.  You're taking the steps and follow that... baby steps...  This site is a tremendous resource and we have everyone from newbies to masters.  So builds do get abandoned for one reason or another and that's to be expected.  Life sometimes gets in the way.  When you're ready, start your build log and continue looking and even commenting on other logs.  There's areas for asking questions and there really isn't anything like a "dumb question". We've all been there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW Steve.   You now have over 40,000 new acquaintances and friends.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Steve and welcome to Model Ship World.  The Polaris looks like a nice kit for the first time ship model builder.  I look forward to seeing your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat