Zr.Ms. Adviesbrik Snelheid by PilotNL - FINISHED - Small - Desktop model by Rico van Dijk

Hi all!

This is my first build, so I decided to go with something small to get into practice.

I found a subject in a book with Dutch sailing ships:

"Nederlandse schoeners & Brikken by Vos, Ron de " 

The schip features about one page with a brief description, line plans and a basic rigging plan.

Zr.Ms. Adviesbrik Snelheid was built in 1830 

For materials I took a block of firewood and some string, glue and paint from the shed.

total cost: zero.

With a handsaw, and a plane I created two flat surfaces on the block with a 90 degree angle between.

I carefully copied the sheerplan and symetric halfbreath plan to the block with pensel.

Using a handsaw I roughly cut the shapes out, with some chisels and sandpaper I completed the shape of the hull, excluding the keel.

From remaining material of the wooden block I cut a thin plan and cut out the keel with a jigsaw. I intended to make it out of one piece, however I mis measured the length of the ship and the easiest method to correct my mistake was to cut the keel in half, right where the stand would be. 

The keel is glued to the hull with white wood glue.

IMG_0793.JPEG

IMG_0814.JPEG

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0816.JPEG

IMG_0797.JPEG

IMG_0796.JPEG

For the spars I tried to turn round poles in the dril, but found it easier to make a square pole, then sand it down to 8 sides and then round.

I measured the thinkess of the spars and calculated the scale thikness but that would be too thin to be practical, so I took the liberty to make the topmast and topgallant a fraction thicker, rounded up to the nearest milimeter.

The smallest detail of the and crosstrees are 1/2 x 3 milimeters.

Without a drill press (I have one ordered wher I can mount my hand drill into but it's not in yet).

I found it difficult to drill the holes for the masts exactly at the correct rake and in line, but I managed it with a lot of caution and patience. The bow sprit hole is not exactly where it was supposed to be, but with a little bit of wood glue and sawdust for filler, it's hardly visible.

I had some black paint which I used for the bottom. In the book the underwater side of the hull is yellow. Being a navy vessel it's not unthinkable that the bottom may have been copper plated, but it's more likely that it was just tarred black. More importantly, black looks better on my desk than copper or yellow.

IMG_0844.JPEG

IMG_0845.JPEG

IMG_0934.JPEG

IMG_0941.JPEG

IMG_0836.jpg

26 minutes ago, PilotNL said:

For materials I took a block of firewood and some string, glue and paint from the shed.

This is wonderful simplicity!  I'm eager to see how this project goes.

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

After the bottom paint was dry, I painted the rest with a brown varnish, which dried quickly, allowing me to start working on the rigging.

To me this is the best part of building the model, I also recognise that his scale is a bit too small for my taste as I would love to add more detail into the work, but at such a small scale that's not practical.

To get the wire under tension I started on one side with a slipknot, and any subsequent knot on the same wire with a clove hitch and a pinpoint of white glue.

The attachment on the hull is temporary with some masking tape, for I will glue these all together at once later on.

IMG_1141.JPEG

IMG_1142.JPEG

IMG_1147.JPEG

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work and looks great and has character.   It does seem to belong on a desk.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me