New member intro...

BrianK

Hi everyone, glad to be here. My name is Brian and I am in the US, in Florida. I am just getting back into model building after about a 20 year hiatus. I built a plastic kit, C W Morgan at age 12 after visiting Mystic and then seeing the 1976 tall ships flotilla in Newport.  My first love in modelling is actually model railroading but I am working to incorporate model ship building. I don't count rivets but I do like to be "historically plausible." So no diesel engines  or radio antennas on a late 19th century auxiliary sailing ship.... 😃

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks everybody and Happy Holidays! Looking forward to getting to know some of your builds, and the builders!!! I am a novice builder and feel like there is a firehose of great info here to sample. I am reminded of my childhood dog who would take bites from the water spray at the nozzle of the garden hose in an attempt to get a drink. 😃 

Dave_E, just noticed your Orange Park/NAS Jax reference. Definitely a navy town with three navy bases and Cecil Field and contractors galore all around. In fact, I teach some of the NROTC engineering students at Jacksonville University.....

Getting back into model shipping building, ("back into" is a stretch since I built the CW Morgan at 12, some 45 years ago and then went into model trains), here in this place, should find me rubbing elbows with some local support. The NRG listing identifies at least two clubs in town......

Getting excited..... 😃 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian, and welcome to MSW from the far antipodes.

You'll find a wooden model involves a lot more - at least making the hull - than plastic. But persevere and you'll get there in the end.

What time/place is your railroad? And what model ship are you planning to go with it?

Make sure you start a build log when you begin your model - definitely the best way to get help and advice, and meet the (slightly crazy) members of this amazing forum.

Steven