New Bedford Whaleboat by kayakerlarry - Model Shipways - Scale 1:16

Larry

Current Build:          New Bedford Whaleboat by Model Shipways scale 1:16

Completed Builds:  Cape Cod Nimblet Knockabouts - Loon, Hawk, Gull and Falcon

Howard W. Middleton scale 1:96 - 1883 coastal coal schooner

Susan P.  scale 1:24 - Maine Lobster Boat by Freedom Song Boatworks

Yacht America scale 1:96 by Marine Models

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 12 1/2 scale 1:12

Thermopylae scale 1:124 - English Tea Clipper by Mantua Models

Roar Ege - Roskilde, Denmark Coastal Trader Viking Ship

Reposted from Mike_in_RI Whaleboat build log...

I just restarted my Whaleboat after taking a break for my Cape Cod Nimblets and see I have a question.  Appears page 56 is missing from my Ronnberg "To Build a Whaleboat' that came in the Model Shipways kit.  I can probably figure it all out but if anyone can take a picture of that page and send to me, that would be much appreciated.  I'll start my own log shortly.

Larry

• 5 months later...

Limited time to work on model but it's coming along.  Have started on frames - about 1/2 of first layer complete.

My apologies to Mike_In_RI as I inadvertently posted to his site - that's what happens when  you haven't been around for a while...IMG_6567.thumb.jpeg.be4e447c1dffc235dd84460f41786cda.jpegIMG_6572.thumb.jpeg.82d3cd8200cd42e0ea2e096f08d5783d.jpeg

Larry

Hi Larry, I just now found your build site. The whaleboat is coming along nicely. 

Regarding all the frames: Probably you know this already but just double check that a frame is not in the way of some other piece for future placement. I remember I had to belatedly shift a few frames one way or the other to avoid the centerboard case or a thwart(??). 

One other planning issue: The temporary plank holding in the stem & stern pieces keep the width of the hull correct until the frames go in. Once that is out, the hull may or may not narrow. Mine narrowed about 1/8" which does not seem like much but the large line tub is a tight fit so I had to make it slightly undersized so it looked OK (not slanted).

Keep up the good work.

Mike

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I worked on the Whaleboat but just finished all 96 pieces of the frames.  I final figured out it was MUCH easier to work on the frames closest to the mold pieces after removing the mold - first layer was down but waited on second for about half of those closest to the mold.  Also, I didn't read ahead enough to see that I should wait on the frames outside of mold pieces #1 and #5 and struggled with the first layer of frame pieces in the stern - the bow pieces are properly bent and sistered along the keel.  Now I will read ahead...

IMG_7653.jpeg

Larry

Hi Larry..... nice photo of the frames. The planks and frames look great! I remember how strong the model felt at this point. As mentioned, double check if the waist is any wider/narrower vs. the plans. Once the thwart risers go in, there will be little chance to adjust it. Keep it up..

Mike

Thanks Mike. Both bow and stern had to be widened by 3/32” at third frame. At least both ends were equal so I assume that’s a good thing. Is there a trick to keep the spreaders in place?

2A112CF7-2BB7-468F-B8DE-FEF854B87F42.jpeg

Larry

I forget the next steps but the thwart risers will add a lot more stiffness to the hull. And, of course, the thwarts themselves. If you need a spreader, I'd just temporarily glue it in place in a spot that will not show when finished. Maybe just below the height of the ceiling plank.

• 4 weeks later...

Ceiling complete...IMG_7741.thumb.jpeg.4352f3e2bb3fa033a2ef34dc6bb2a899.jpegIMG_7740.thumb.jpeg.b956509e17461d1429f366c1d7f5e106.jpeg

Larry

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since I posted anything but here are a few pictures thru inwales, gunwales, bow/stern sheet build (page 82).  I opted to only use the nails in the first ceiling plank just to get the feel of the process.  Now onto priming and painting hull interior.  As the paints I used to use (Model Master acrylic) are difficult to find I have ordered acrylics from Vallejo on Amazon.  They seem to get decent reviews on wood so will give it a shot.  I did find this set which has all the colors called for so hopefully all will go well  - Vallejo Naval Steam Era Paint Set, 17ml, Naval Steam Era Paint Set 17ml, 0.5 Fl Oz (Pack of 16).  Has anyone had any experience with these?

Mike - thanks for the heads up on keeping proper beam measurements.  After installing the gunwale I'm dead nuts on at the beam.

IMG_9138.jpeg

IMG_9135.jpeg

IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9131.jpeg

Larry

As a bit of an aside, I am using one of my older models (Herreshoff Buzzards Bay Boy's Boat) in a silent action I am holding to raise funds for a great charity - ZERO Prostate Cancer.  I have it on display at Harbor Fish Market in Scarborough, Maine if anyone is "driving by".  As of today, I have bids on everything except the model (minimum bid $500) but obviously there is a much smaller customer base for that.  If someone bids the minimum on the model that will put me over $15,000 raised since end of July.

IMG_9163.jpeg

IMG_9124.jpeg

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Primed two coats and started to paint inboard before securing thwarts, etc. Used a golden brown in bow and stern to represent unfinished planks below ceiling. I think it’s reasonable. The “pea green” the book suggests is a Spanish olive green. Again I think it works. Second coats next. 

IMG_9269.jpeg

IMG_9268.jpeg

IMG_9267.jpeg

Larry