HMS Bellona by hamilton - Corel - 1:100 - 1780 refit

Hello there:

A bit more work on the stern area - I installed planking on the upper counter - spiled from 1.5mm x 10mm stock - and started on the quartergallery framing. In working on the latter, I decided to scrap the 1.5mm plywood support piece - it really did not seem necessary to me - and took a different approach.

The first step was to make a tracing of the general quartergallery outline from the plans and transfer this to the model - I was happy to discover that the tracing needed no adjustment and that it fit very nicely in place on both port and starboard sides. Once this was done, I used the outline to trim the framing pieces in their length and width so they fit nicely in place - the aft edges of all pieces and the inside edges of the lower two piece also had to be chamfered slightly to fit. I used the trimmed pieces to mark out their locations on the hull. Filler pieces could then be added using 1/16" scrapwood. It was then a very simple matter of installing the frame pieces. 

That's all for now - enjoy!

hamilton

IMG_2249.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpeg

IMG_2254.jpeg

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

A bit more work on Bellona today - finishing up the counter planking, stern chaser gunports & the filler blocks at the bottom of the quarter galleries. The lower counter planking was initially a little confusing - the kit calls for 2 layers of planking here but the total thickness (2.5mm) seemed a bit much, so I installed only 1 layer of 1mm x 4mm strips here. I added some extra framing around the gunports so I could plank up to them and painted this framing red, which will be slightly visible once the gunport lids are installed. The last plank to be laid was the one up against the upper counter planking - I made a template for this from card paper and transferred the curve to a wood strip - it took quite a bit of trimming and shaving and sanding and carving until it fit reasonably well - a little bit of filler, sanding and painting later and the results look pretty good, I think. 

The next step will be the make gunport lids for the closed gunports in preparation for the second layer of planking. I decided against using the dumby gun barrels provided with the kit and to keep any ports that featured these closed. The plan is to install the gunports (minus any hardware) prior to second planking, so I can plank around the ports - hoping this can lead to clean results. In the meantime - enjoy the photos and happy modelling

hamilton

IMG_2263.jpeg

IMG_2264.jpeg

IMG_2265.jpeg

IMG_2266.jpeg

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton, just catching up with your build and wondered what you had decided regarding the stern. Was thinking would be difficult to modify now that the transom lower horizontal moulding is in place.

I know this will sound drastic but i would consider cutting the first planking back to the next bulkhead. Then instead of repeating the removed first planking install two solid blocks to the correct shape. This will make an even better base for the second planking.

Looks very difficult to shape that last bulkhead now with your transom in place unless do carefully with a rotary tool.

Enjoying the build so far, looking good. 

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Thanks for the suggestion, Thunder. The fairing down option does seem ruled out at this point.....But I'm not sure I'm daring enough to go for any major surgery.......the problem is that once I start on any solution I won't be able to stop and the chances of really messing things up after that is pretty high.....On my Bluenose log I spent a bit of time explaining that, as someone who models for pleasure only, I'm not too worried often about historical accuracy and am perfectly happy if things look more or less tidy. I did want to hold myselkf to a higher standard on this one, so I'm feeling torn - my "natural attitude" is to just press on with an anachronistic transom, but then there's part of me that wants to intervene.....I've been working on other parts of the model to avoid making this decision, but it's gotta happen at some point!! But first.....coffee!

hamilton

Edited by hamilton

• 3 weeks later...

I see it's been quite a while since I've updated here.....not that I'm on a schedule or anything!

In any case, I didn't get as much done on Bellona over the holidays as I hoped. But since the new year, I've managed to get a start on the second planking - starting with the outboard bulwarks. The first element laid here was a strip of molding that runs flush with the top of bulwarks mid-ships and follows the sheer to the beakhead forward and quartergalleries aft. This was a more or less straightforward operation, though it was eased by adding this strip in 3 sections and then blending these with acrylic modelling paste. The first section ran in line with the ship's waist, the second ran forward to the beakhead and the third aft to the quartergalleries. I finished this in Golden acrylic yellow ochre.

I've now also completed the first strakes of outboard bulwark planking in 1mm x 3mm walnut - 2 strakes laid below the first molding strip and cut around the main deck gun ports. This posed few difficulties. All of these elements will be finished in yellow ochre eventually, so the contrast between the limewood gunport lids and the walnut planking will be masked.

One thing I noticed on installation of these first planking strakes is that the gunport lids already installed on the model will in some cases stand a little proud of the hull planking. Once these strakes were installed, I had to commit quite a bit of elbow grease to sanding the lids down to be more or less flush with the surface of the planking. Here are a couple of photos - not great or very interesting ones, but....you get the impression.

Bye for now and happy modelling

hamilton

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg

• 2 months later...

So it's been quite some time since my last contribution here. There has been very little time for modelling in the last few months, but since the last update, I've completed the bulwark planking except for the upper bulwarks in line with the f'csl, quarterdeck & poop deck; installed the false wales and main wales, and finished the outboard bulwarks (yellow ochre & black for the wales). I also did some work to correct the square tuck transom, which now that I've started the lower hull planking seems to have worked out ok - though this was a lot of nerve-wracking work with a rotary tool and a variety of sanding blocks.

In any case, the photos below document my start on the lower hull planking. At the deadflat, I measured 102cm. The material supplied in the kit is 4mm wide, which translated into 23 planks of 4mm width and 2 of 5mm (which I'll use for the garboard and the strake above it, which will be coppered over in any case).

There will be 5 bands - 3 of 5 strakes, 1 of 6 strakes at the bilges and a garboard band of 4 strakes. I have not lined off the hull completely, but am doing so band-by-band, starting with band "A" of 5 strakes immediately below the wales.

So far things have gone quite well. Anyone who has seen my previous builds will know that hull planking is not my forte! But so far I'm pleased with the results aesthetically, though in terms of period practice they do not entirely follow convention (or architectural sense). Since I'm under no pressure to keep anyone on the vessel safe or to protect the Admiralty's investment, I'm cool with that! Here are the photos - enjoy!

hamilton

IMG_2650.jpeg

IMG_2651.jpeg

IMG_2652.jpeg

IMG_2654.jpeg

IMG_2655.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

Looking good mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks Nearshore! I feel like it's going better than it usually does, which isn't saying much, but still - I'm happy with these results so far. As we know, in ship modelling there's always more time for mistakes! Wish I had more time to work on the model, but such is life. I'm going to be heading into another really busy push at work starting mid-week, but in a couple of weeks I'll get a breather and hopefully find an hour here and there at the bench to make some progress.

hamilton