Talking CO2 lasers

I am a new recruit who has been around the block a couple times. I have been using Chicom lasers for 7-8 years and have a computer background starting in 1965 [told ya I been around] and am proficient with 2D programs and 3D designing in Fusion 360 and CNC work in Aspire.  I love working from and developing my own plans and build CW cannons and mounts and caissons. I have been lucky and build whatever pleases me and give the products and plans away to anyone who will use them.

I guess I am amazed that there seems low interest in lasers... they are amazing tools and inexpensive for the many things they do well- admittedly there are many things they cannot do too. Gene

This hub was printed with PETG filament- I also use pla/wood filament which an be stained.The wheel is 6" as well as the larger chair.

Wheel-char.jpg

Edited by GeneUselman

We do have an area for 3D printing and lasers....  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/172-3d-printing-and-laser-cutting/

There are quite a few of us (myself included) with lasers and the 3D printing folks are growing also.  Several build logs for some ships that are 3d printed.   

You're doing some nice work there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, GeneUselman said:

I guess I am amazed that there seems low interest in lasers...

There is lots of interest from those who are buying kits from  our members Chuck and Chris, owners of Syren Ship Model Company and Vanguard Models, respectively..

Take a look at The Winchelsea project and the many Sphinx logs to see what these kit designers have accomplished with Lasers.

I have done a lot of laser work in my Resolution build..

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I think many of us just like to create 'things' with their hands and working with hand-tools. So this manual creation process is part of the hobby, not only the finished product as such. There are also others, like me, who are spending a good deal of their wake hours in front of a computer screen and are afraid that becomes even worse, when getting in CAD/CAM beyond the mere creation of the 'blue-prints' (which have become obsolete with CAD) for their models.

Having said that, about a couple of years ago I bought a low-power LED-laser, which is compatible with my working environment (not having a separate workshop with water connection and forced aeration) and I have used it quite a bit on my current project.

I have been pondering 3D printing since the mid-2000s, but it took a long time, before precision and resolution came into a range that is useful for my ambitions - not talking about prices. Again, a resin-printer is not quite compatible with my current working environment.

I gather that the logistics involved in running high-end machines are quite demanding and therefore prohibitive for many people.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg