Hi all 

i am searching for a monography and or a plan set for the Belle poule frigate 1834 

i did research for this particular ship for a while but so far no luck .

I did find this title "Amis des Musees de la Marine ( 1953 ) : La Belle Poule , 1834  " but this book/monography  seems nowhere  to be found .

Any help is appreciated 

thanks 

Daniele

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - POF Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner - POF framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner - POF timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835 packet hull USN ship - POF timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - POF framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I did find this but there doesn't seem to be much more out there in the way of books and plans.  Possibly plans are available but from where, I have no idea.

https://www.abebooks.com/BELLE-POULE-FRÉGATE-RANG-BOUCHES-FEU/17512572646/bd

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

ooooooooops sorry 

right ship wrong year

3 hours ago, Jaager said:

Thanks Jaager , this seems a very good starting point  for my research .

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I did find this but there doesn't seem to be much more out there in the way of books and plans.  Possibly plans are available but from where, I have no idea.

https://www.abebooks.com/BELLE-POULE-FRÉGATE-RANG-BOUCHES-FEU/17512572646/bd

mtaylor thank you ! i did also a search on abebooks but i never crossed this title .

@Kevin at the beginning i was confused too , i was happy that Ancre.fr had the monography but i soon realized that they were two different ships .

thanks for the help guys 

Edited by Teach.

26 minutes ago, Teach. said:

this seems a very good starting point  for my research

I have the plans from AAMM.  When I look at the plans, my evaluation is that there sure are a lot of guns!

It is kinda busy looking.  Given the year that it was built,  I think the design was based on an obsolete concept.   I think they are mostly close range shotgun type cannon.  anyone foolish enough to get close could get hurt. However,  not too long after, there would be very large caliber rifled shell guns on tracks at the mid line.  A corvette with two or three of those - -  smaller, faster, less expensive - and in a few more years add steam and this frigate may as well be a towed target.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Other

Jaager, I can't disagree with you.  I think this is the ship that brought Napoleon's body back to France which is it's claim to fame.  It was all black as I recall.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Finally i received the plans ! 

they seems very well done , now i have to rethink my initial idea of scaling them to 1/48 

at 1/75 the lenght over all is around 48" ( 122 cm )  at 1/48 we are close to 75" ( 190cm ) ...maybe a way between will suit better .

But i need to be careful as my wife already warned me .

Anyway , thank you all for the tip 

Daniele

48 minutes ago, Teach. said:

at 1/48 we are close to 75"

300' Full size?  WIKI has her at 177, but I guess that could be not including the bowsprit.  Would the bowsprit be another 125' ?

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

There is(?) a ship model society in DC, but that is a bit of a haul from Waterford.

Were I just beginning in ship modeling, I would want several projects of progressively more difficult subjects to build my skill set before I attempted to essay a frigate.   The Modelshipways new beginner series is a painless entry.  It has the advantage of providing the skills to build boats - something that most every ship has at least one of and usually several.

The 1834 Belle -  I would suggest sticking with 1:75  unless you have prior experience with changing the scale of plans. 

The model will be sufficiently large -  especially if you are not the solo decision maker.

Oh,  check this site for the numerous posts about rescuing old dusty, greasy, wrecked models for a reason to plan for a case.

The most common hull construction method for the French AAMM model plans - at least when the plans were drawn - seems to have been:  carved hull from WL layers. 

I think that the Belle AAMM plans are aimed at the advanced skill level.

The plans seem to be really focused on masting and rigging.

In view of the presently popular styles here:

Building the hull as designed: carved and shaped WL lamination is a realistic option.  Clear White Pine would probably be more pleasant to work than Basswood.  Based on scratch build forum logs here, this seems to be unpopular.

POB seems to taken hold - even for scratch.  I could probably not have a more negative attitude toward POB, so I would never ever consider it.  But there is enough data in the Body plan for it.  The outside plank thickness would have to be subtracted.  There are not enough stations to support a single layer of planking, unless all of the gaps between the molds have a filler.  With a double layer of planking, you would have complete control of the thickness of each layer with your subtraction.

My initial thoughts on 1834 Belle - were I too attempt it:

The lines/ Body plan seem to be outside the planking.  (I think they were taken off of a contemporary model.)

The frigates and larger ships of the 1815-1860 era were in general utilitarian - not sexy enough to be worth bare frame POF.

I would use my usual Station Sandwich method.  A solid wall of frames (HomeDepot 2x4 Pine) and use the lines as presented up to the wale.  I would cover the bottom - directly on the frames - with copper painted rag bond paper.

The wale and above = check Meade for appropriate outside planking thickness and subtract that from the outside lines.  It is a different country, but I do not read French and the physics of wood is not subject to national whims.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

Other