Question About Glue for Plastic

Can anyone point me to the currently available plastic glues of the solvent  ( they dissolve plastic ) type?

When I look for plastic glue I can't seem to find the one's that specifically do this.  I get a lot of hits for CA..  Not what I'm looking for..

Many of them even say they are " non toxic " ..  I don't think that will get the job done..😁

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Depends upon the plastic Greg... 

If your talking styrene as used for modeling purposes, Tamiya thin or Testors liquid cement is the go to... Testors also makes a "tube glue" which is jellied liquid cement and has it's uses, but most generally use straight liquid...

They don't work on silicone based plastics or UDMH plastics or resins from 3D printers, but will work on most others like Styrene's, Acetate's, and PVC's.... (according to Testor's claims, I only use them for styrene)

Hope that helps..

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

As Egilman said. Remaining with styrene, although less frequently, I use also Revell Contacta Professional. Its slightly more viscous with lower capillarity, and it might be used conveniently for larger areas.

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Another brand is the plastic cement from Deluxe. Doesn't evaporate on the brush as fast as the Tamiya extra thin I've used. I tend to use Testors for joins I need to be strong and the Deluxe for quicker gluing of trim parts.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

When it was still available, Tenax 7R was a great plastic cement. I’ve since had success with Squadron Plastic Weld. It’s not quite as aggressive as Tenax, but it still works well.

Unless you’re using Plastruct products, avoid their Plastic Weld glue. It’s designed for ABS styrene, and can be a little too much for other, softer types of styrene. I have some and I also find it tends to gum up (and then solidify) my fine applicator brush.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

wasn't that the glue that was known to cause cancer?  really good cement,  so I've read. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I wouldn’t drink it or take a bath in it…

Most (all) styrene cements are not healthy products. No matter the company, every type of plastic cement should be used in a well ventilated area, and proper precautions should be taken to avoid skin and eye contact, inhalation of the vapours or ingestion.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I'm well aware of that..........I didn't even eat paste as a child :D   a friend of mine in Canada was using it....he told me that at one time that it was banned from use due to the cancer thing.  how he came by it .....he never told me.

ever hear Lenny Bruce talk about the use of glue?  funny skit ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just what I was looking for..

Thanks for all the great replies..  For some reason I hadn't flagged this for replies so I didn't realize I had any answers.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon