HMS Vanguard by BikerMart - Amati/Victory Models - 1:72

A belated build log for HMS Vanguard.

Bulkheads in place on the keel.

IMG_1981.JPG

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

Lower deck and dummy barrel strips in place.

IMG_1986.JPG

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

Gun port patterns in place.

IMG_1989.JPG

First planking completed

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

Quarter galleries now being installed.

And a question. The parts list refers to parts 27 and 28 as 'side gallery up and down finishing pattern' - but there appears to be no reference to them in either the written or illustrated instructions. Is this an oversight; should the parts in fact be (shaped and) installed?

IMG_2091.JPG

Thanks, Bill.

I am pretty sure that my wife said a similar thing. But as I get older, my hearing tends to be getting more selective.

• 2 months later...

Your build is looking good.

Those parts 27 and 28 are on the same 5mm sheet as the bulkheads 1 and 3. On my plan - Tavola 16 - they aren't numbered either. They are those 4 roughly triangle shaped items below parts 20.

You definitely need them. Two on top of the galleries to give some headroom for the skipper when visiting his side gallery and below to round out the shape of the lower gallery. If I remember correctly the smaller 2 are numbers 27 and go on top - but you will see how they fit.

Peter                                                

IMG_1589.jpg.6a0929f8789b1c65f952029b447357ba.jpg

parts 27 and 28 installed and roughly shaped

Thank you, Peter. If you had included this picture in your build log, I must have missed it. My fault.

I have now completed and rough-sanded the second planking. I need to tidy around the top of the bulwarks and cut the gunports.

Rightly or wrongly, I wiped on a coat of poly, as an aid to determine where and whether filler would be required.

Given that the hull will be either painted or coppered, I think that it is smooth enough as it stands.

IMG_2116.thumb.JPG.04d1a003bdf341f7705302702497383d.JPGIMG_2117.thumb.JPG.8a25bae37147706362c13db3aaa401c4.JPG

So I succumbed and have used some filler in a few places. I then added the main wales and that raised a question. It may be obvious to an old hand, but to a newbie like me, who has not built such a ship before, it is not obvious. How should the wales terminate at the transom? At the moment, I have left them standing proud and rounded off and, from the side, they do appear as per the plan, But should they in fact curl under and lay flat against the hull planking?

IMG_2120.JPG

I have always terminated mine at the side, tappering the stern end slightly to match the stern transom.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

On the prototype the wales were just thicker planks used to build some parts of the hull - not a doubled up second layer. So the wales should run the same way and to the same ends as the neighbouring thinner planks.

Peter

Thanks Peter and oldsalt. That makes perfect sense. What threw me was the drawing provided with the kit that, to me, showed the wale ending short of the transom. Plus, I took some pictures of Victory back in March and that showed the wales terminating in a similar fashion to how I terminated mine. Well, at least, that's what it looked like to me. Maybe that was wishful thinking.

Martin

IMG_1999.JPG

Thank you for a wonderful picture also of the rudder chains but unfortunately it confuses me.

Actually I'm pondering how to fix the rudder chains. On a different Victory picture I noticed something like installed emergency steering gear which is here confirmed. However the situation with attached steering pendant but the rudder chains still fixed below the counter confuses me. The emergency steering would not work. For me it would be logical to free the rudder chains at the same time when installing the emergency steering gear. But perhaps this is the navy way of working on a ship which actually lies unmovable in dry dock...🤔

Peter

A couple more pictures to add to your confusion! These, like the previous one, were taken in March of this year.

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

• 3 months later...

Seems to me that it was a bad move to line all the gunports before the second planking, so I removed all the linings. Now that the second planking is complete, of course, I have to re-line the gunports. This is an activity that I am avoiding! Hence I decided to copper the port side of the hull. That didn't come out too badly. A bit of staining; I need to be more careful when I come to the starboard side. I tried cleaning it with nail varnish remover - which is acetone I believe - and that made it a little better. Then a couple of coats of wop.

IMG_2210.JPG

I've nearly finished this build..I hope you enjoy it as much as I did...you've made a great start 

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

• 1 year later...

Oh dear! I got a bit carried away over the last 18 months or so. I blame Cornwall Model Boats for making it easy for me to purchase kits from the UK.

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

Great job so far. You sure are productive. I do get the feeling you're running away from masting and rigging 😏

You are so right! My justification, of course, is that having no masts/rigging would make transport easier should I ever get the urge to return to England. An urge that is growing since my daughter produced a granddaughter last April.

• 1 month later...

Some movement on Vanguard. Work continuing on the topsides. Almost ready to fix the poop deck in place. 

IMG_2539.thumb.JPG.51b774594c964cf1bd43aa6f5d4858e0.JPG