Sopwith Camel by Spiff - Model Airways - 1/16

Spiff

After spending 9 years! building my Golden Star I have switched gears and taken on the Model Airways 1/16 Sopwith Camel and I really hope I can spend more time building so it doesnt take me nearly as long to build as the Golden Star 😉 

I have finished the engine which is a neat little model in itself. I decided to paint it to give it a bit more 'life'

image.thumb.jpeg.689d77d70275a46b57a06f170d627545.jpeg

Here it is primed:

image.thumb.jpeg.0579a780a5fd0a89de68772706ff7ce1.jpeg

In order to be able to paint and weather it, I had to build/paint in stages.

image.thumb.jpeg.dde9b73705039b6959de59a96b7e191c.jpeg

Here with ignition ring and wires:

image.thumb.jpeg.302244f138c9704514e039599b7eaf43.jpeg

And here completed with pushrods. I didnt paint the bras. Not sure if its the historically acurate colour, but I just think it looks so good!

image.thumb.jpeg.a541b363999f5c051b2328bc3d6ba402.jpeg

Then came time for the propeller, which I thought would be harder than it was. Pretty happy with the result and still giving it more coats of varnish to try and give it a deep sheen.

image.thumb.jpeg.b94f1ceb582c7095e6588c7e3539120c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a6791407b592cbcea9d234e33f080ebf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.52d450d402b97c78d140511c5e85fba1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.314ac55e53a6ca951ece1ba9547e8d01.jpeg

Will try and keep this somewhat up to date but I dont get too build all that often. Thoughts, critique and comments are very welcome!

Cheers

Shaun

Current build: Golden Star

Previous builds: Bounty Jolly boat

a lot of folks don't paint brass.........bling is king,  don'tcha know  ;)   very nice start...the prop looks sweet! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...

It has been a while, but I have not been completely idle. I have now finished the spars and they sure are a LOT of work! Getting the caps  centered on the spar is not as easy as it sounds, even with a jig. Some of mine are, unfortunately, way off but hope it wont be too noticeable.

Have converted a ceiling tile to a workspace where I can pin down everything for assembling the wings and was all excited to start that today. However - the spars provided in the kit are not long enough for the entire length of the wings. This is rather annoying/disappointing and the Instruction manual makes no mention that I can see about how to proceed. In fact the manual talks about having to saw the lower wing in half and then reassemble it to get the correct angle on the lower wing. But as it is that is not a problem because it seems you have to build separate wings anyway. But I am concerned that the top wing will not be very strong if it is actually two wings glued together just at the tips of the spars... Might have  to see if I can buy some longer pieces of wood for the spars.

But here are all my ribs:

SopwithCamel_20230407_0052.JPG

Shaun

Current build: Golden Star

Previous builds: Bounty Jolly boat