De 13 Søskende (The 13 Siblings) by gkharrin - Scale 1: 24 - 1911 - Danish - Denmark - 3rd wooden ship build, 2nd scratch build

This is a Danish fishing smack built specifically for the eel fishery.  She dragged a seine net on the starboard side, the net being attached to the ends of the two spars.

There are a lot more details on the research and construction on my club page, but I will copy some of them to this thread.

image.thumb.jpeg.08d709709fa444c56942af2112a2b4f7.jpeg

Looking like a very interesting build. I think I’ll tag along.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hi GKHARRIN,

very nice beginn and build of this boat. It looks like an danish offspring of a Zeesenboot. Wish you much fun with the further build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

10 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

.... It looks like an danish offspring of a Zeesenboot.

Nils

It most definitely is.  I first learned of eel drifters from this book:

Danske-Badtyper.jpg.2374e884b32e2c7810f5a6748ed05aed.jpgWoodenBoatDesigns.jpg.2e4286ff97f2b4035bd511a3d6034b4d.jpg

All the boats are Danish, with one exception: it includes a German eel drifter for comparison to the Danish one.  It specifically states the German boat design was adapted by the Danes.  This article (same author) has the same information in somewhat greater detail.

However, I'm sorry to say I think the Danish design is the more handsome one 😉

Edited by gkharrin

Hi Greg,

many thanks so much for your information on the danish eeldrifters. Unfortunately the prices (evan for used books) are out of reach in the moment. I certainly would buy the Christian Nielsen publication, and you`re right with the more handsome danish version, also in my opinion. I have gathered  three books comprising the Zeesenboot in order to implement as much as possible into my own Zeesenboot build on this MSW forum, and to dig into the historical background of this boat type

Regards, Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

3 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

Unfortunately the prices (evan for used books) are out of reach in the moment.

The sad thing is, I bought the book and decided to build the eel drifter.  Years went by and a CD with high-res scans was made available.  So I bought that too.  More years went by, and now all of the drawings in that book can be downloaded for free from the Maritime Museum of Denmark.  This includes the German drifter:

Lines

Sail plan

Construction

Maybe you already have these in your research.  I'll search out your build log also.

Hi Greg,

thank you very much for those links, I`m sure they will raise interest by the one or other fellow builder as well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Not sure that the downloadable files and those on the CD-ROM have the same resolution. I copied the original book way back in 1978 I think, eventually go the real one and the CD-ROM. I wish someone would have measured up the surviving German boats just after WW2 in so much detail, as Nielsen did for the Danish ones. The book includes also a number of German boats, apart from the Zeesboot also a dug-out(!) used in the Kiel Fjord to transport fish to the market, rowed by the fishermen's wives. While there are quite a few drawings made during the early GDR days (by Wolfgang Rudolph) and in the 1990s/2000s in the same area by Helmut Olszak, there is virtually nothing for the area of Western German Baltic and North Sea coast.

Will be following the progress on this project, as Nielsen's book has always been a source of inspiration for me.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

Not sure that the downloadable files and those on the CD-ROM have the same resolution.

I was certain I had compared them before, but as my memory is highly suspect, I double-checked.  The dimensions of the web file and CD ROM files are the same.  For example, 8415 x 6139 for the construction drawing of De 13 Søskende.  More than adequate for building a model - you can see the grain of the paper.