Hi to all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. Greetings from Europe and I apologize in advance for my English, I am not from an English speaking country.
I'm glad I found this forum before I start building my first wooden model ship.

Why I started this topic...I want to ask local experienced modelers if there is any book that a beginner should read as an introduction to the world of wooden ship modeling. Why am I asking... I am looking for a book that would be really worth reading, and given my English, I would consider translating it into Czech (I am from the Czech Republic).

As for the first build, I am clear about the choice of model. This forum has turned me on to Model Shipways a lot, I try to read a lot about the "Lowell Grand Banks Dory". I chose this model also because it is produced in the USA and I will find great support for it here.

That's all for now and thank you for welcoming me to this great community.

Martin, 46 years old

From what I have been reading,  your Model Shipways first kit choice has sufficient information.

There is much pretension -  advertising that says a how-to book is much more complete than it really is.

I sense that POB kit how-to books are particularly guilty of this.  There is too much author ego - my way is the best way - when there are many paths and only a few rules.

If you intend to translate text as well as following the pictures,  until you decide on an area to specialize in   and a type of build- POF, POB, carved - it may serve you better to filter thru the build logs here and look for what shows you the answers that you need.   POB is well covered.

It is scratch POF where various written sources become important - because of the many paths and the complexity.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Welcome to MSW, Martin.  I'm posting a link below to the search results for build logs on the Lowell Grand Banks Dory to help you out.

https://modelshipworld.com/search/?q="Lowell Grand Banks Dory"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=130&search_in=titles

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to Model Ship World Martin.  You have made a great choice for a first build, congratulations!!  I hope you start a build log when you begin your model!  

Nejsrdecnejsim pozdravy

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi guys,

OK, I'll stop talking about the book for now. I will focus on the build logs that will give me the most information.

Can I ask where is the best place to order models from Model Shipways? I assume that probably from the Model Expo directly from the USA.

Otherwise, I would have some basic modeling experience from other fields, see the attachment. I recognize balsa from plywood and CA glue from wood glue 🙂

Martin

aero.jpeg

boat.jpg

Hi Martin,

I don't know about any Czech shipmodeling book, but for a beginner I would recommend three (at least), all in English:

- Wolfram zu Mondfeld

- Frank Mastini

- Milton Roth

(the last one is a little dated now, as far as sources of materials, but still valuable as far as some modeling techniques)

And there is a bunch of other, more advanced books depending on the specific topic, like rigging, planking, armament, sewing (sails), etc...

Plus, you have many monographies  describing in detail a specific ship.

The best however source of info, I think, is still this Forum, and in addition you have your native (Czech) speaking forum, where among the others, famous Doris Obrucova belongs to. (I don't have their link at the moment - check archival posts.)

Greetings, 

Thomas

On 8/11/2022 at 5:46 PM, Dziadeczek said:

Hi Martin,

I don't know about any Czech shipmodeling book, but for a beginner I would recommend three (at least), all in English:

- Wolfram zu Mondfeld

- Frank Mastini

- Milton Roth

(the last one is a little dated now, as far as sources of materials, but still valuable as far as some modeling techniques)

And there is a bunch of other, more advanced books depending on the specific topic, like rigging, planking, armament, sewing (sails), etc...

Plus, you have many monographies  describing in detail a specific ship.

The best however source of info, I think, is still this Forum, and in addition you have your native (Czech) speaking forum, where among the others, famous Doris Obrucova belongs to. (I don't have their link at the moment - check archival posts.)

Greetings, 

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your response.

I managed to get the book "Wolfram zu Mondfeld" in PDF, so I have something to read... English is standard, I can manage somehow.

I assume you mean this Czech forum: https://www.modelforum.cz 

"Doris Obrucova" is TOP, but there is nothing that compares to the quality of modelshipworld.com and I am glad to be a part of it.

Martin

Edited by Kaplik1976

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.