Pick a Pequod

Dan DSilva

I recently had the idea to build my own Pequod out of a modified kit, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which one to start with.  I'm looking for a small wood kit.

According to the novel, the Pequod is "rather small," "claw-footed," and more than 50 years old at a time "some years" before 1851.  I don't know what "claw-footed" means, but I take it to have been built around the 1770s-1780s and be somewhat short of 100 feet overall.

So do you know of anything suitable?  The only 18th-century whaleship I've found on the market is Occre's Essex, which, although appropriate in more ways than one, is a lot larger than I have shelf or work space for.  The other idea I had was to start with an HMS Bounty, which would mean buying or fabricating a lot of extra parts (which I'm willing to do -- if I have to).

Edited by Dan DSilva

If it doesn't exist, I'll just have to make it myself.  Doesn't mean I'm not gonna complain about it.

Hi Dan,

While Pequod was fictional, it was supposedly a Nantucket whaler.  Have you contacted the Nantucket Historical Association?

https://nha.org/research/nantucket-history/history-topic/whaling/    Maybe try the New Bedford Whaling Museum or Mystic Seaport for some ideas as well.   

It sounds like you are willing to make changes to a kit to make things right, but hopefully you can find one that is a better choice to start.   Per your earlier post, this is your first wooden model so seriously consider putting this project on the back burner for a little while and start with a less complex high qual kit or series like the three vessel set from Model Shipways.  Assembling parts in a kit is one thing, but as you will be modifying it, the learner series will teach you good techniques and save you a lot of frustration down the road.     This sounds like it could be a really fun project.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The New Bedford Whaling Museum replied.  The Curator of Maritime History says that "claw-footed" means ship-rigged and sent some period illustrations.  On the whole I think my idea about their appearance (smallish full-rigged ships with curved decks and partially closed bulwarks) being in the same vein as the Bounty isn't far off.  Probably any small bluff-bowed three-master from that period would make an acceptable starting point.

By the way, is any scale smaller than 1:100 particularly common for sailing ships, like how 20th-century warships are common in 1:350, 1:700, 1:1250, etc.?

Edited by Dan DSilva

If it doesn't exist, I'll just have to make it myself.  Doesn't mean I'm not gonna complain about it.

2 hours ago, Dan DSilva said:

By the way, is any scale smaller than 1:100 particularly common for sailing ships, like how 20th-century warships are common in 1:350, 1:700, 1:1250, etc.?

I'm not certain but I would think that they would be rare that small.  The rigging, for example, would really be tiny.  Now ships in a bottle is a different matter.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you can't find a kit of that era for your hoped for project in scales smaller than about 1:98 there are books on building these vessels at 1:196 or smaller.  Reed, McCaffery and McNarry offer details and insights in books and video.     Building at a larger scale is difficult, especially for a beginner.  At smaller scales it is far far more difficult.   Do consider starting with something less complex so you can learn how, then move up to something more detailed like three masted whaler.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Mamoli makes a line of small, solid-wooden hull kits called Mini Mamoli. It looks like they have a Bounty at about 1:135. I imagine the detail is pretty sparse, but it could be the basis for some scratch work and would be a relatively easy introduction to the hobby. 

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Thank you.  A solid hull sounds like it'd be more suitable for a beginner.  The Constructo 1:110 Bounty looks nice, if there are any available by the time I have enough money saved up, but I will look into a simpler learner's model in the meanwhile.

A bit larger than Peaquod (~330 tuns, vs 240 tuns), the Charles W Morgan has a 1/110 scale Revell plastic kit? Any use? There are also some other wooden kits of the CWM if you need a wooden kit to cut your teeth on.

There are a few vintage solid hull models, as well as a more recent (and larger) plank on bulkhead offerings. Worth looking at ebay listings for a 'Scientific' model to see if it is what you are after IMO. (Not my listing, just poking around for what whaleship kits are available (relatively few, surprisingly).

Edited by Lieste

Good catch; the reason I ask about common scales is because of course the Pequod isn't the only ship in the book, so if it winds up being 1:110 then maybe I'll get a Revell Morgan to sit alongside it on the shelf as the Rachel or something.

• 4 weeks later...

Dan, my name is Jerry Berenson and I am now building a Nantucket lightship after completing Bluejacket’s model of the Constitution. I noticed your blog. I am enclosing pictures of a small model I built ,while recuperating from heart surgery 2 yrs ago , of the fictional Pequod.It is modeled after typical whaling ships of that period. It was a very old kit I had hanging around the cellar. I took some liberties with it. I also mounted it on a baseboard with an old whale’s tooth which I “scrimshawed” many moons ago. Note Queeques’s coffin. BTW I am a member of the New Bedford Whaling Museum since I live about 45 minutes away on Cape Cod. It is a national treasure and a must see. They have a 1/2 scale of an old whale ship to board. If you desire, check out my blog of the Nantucket Lightship I am building. Regards, Jerry 90E2FEC3-3704-40CA-BFBE-4D31E3472326.thumb.jpeg.33daf2b687299db7ceac99c04283ac77.jpeg8C82DA13-0C8D-4075-B947-0910B14D7AFA.thumb.jpeg.6489821003a8d6d5f457cdee08ef3b16.jpeg

How about the Model Shipways Charles W Morgan or Kate Cory?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 4 months later...

So, here's what I've wound up with:  Scientific Bounty in approximately 1:120 scale.  Got it cheap on eBay because it was partly assembled and there's a few missing or damaged pieces, though I don't think anything that can't be easily replaced.  Also could use upgrades on top of modifications -- it doesn't even come with sails, for one.  But I think it's an okay start.

0221231441a.jpg

Dan, open a build log when your ready.  Sounds like a great project.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)