Greetings Fom Ottawa Canada

drjack63

Now that I am retired I have the time to pursue a longtime urge to build model wooden ships. I do have some modelling skills and follow instructions well, but like most starters I am still looking for the perfect double planked kit with full instructional detail.  One constraint is that prices of kits are expensive in Canada especially when adding in currency rates taxes and shipping. I will be visiting my daughter in San Francisco within the next 2 weeks and intend to visit Ages of Sail.

Any advice would be appreciated

j

Hi There, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your retirement! Is Jack what we call you? Glad to have you aboard, this is the place to be for all things wooden model ship building! Take some pictures of Ages of Sail when you are there. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Welcome aboard, Jack.

Visiting Ages of Sail will be a real treat -- they have quite the inventory and should be able to steer you in the direction of suitable beginner kits. For future reference, one of our sponsors, Crafty Sailor, is located in Canada and has free shipping on orders over US$150.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

:sign:  Hello from MB !!                     :dancetl6:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 1 month later...

Greetings from the GTA! I share your frustration with the high prices for kits here in Canada (especially when factoring in duties on overseas shipping).  I do know that Great Hobbies has an Ottawa location and they do stock wood kits and tools/supplies.  Hopefully you will find what you're looking for. 

-Mark

Hello Jack; I live in the west end near Pinecrest Cemetery, so, nearby to you. Yes Great Hobbies at Hunt Club and Merivale has wooden ship kits, mainly Occre, and even a few fittings. They're about it for wooden kits in this town. They're mainly into RC cars and electric airplanes by the look of it. I can never seem to spend less than half an hour there even if I just dropped by for a small item.

OOPS! Later Edit.....They do carry Amati, Billings, Corel as well as Occre for on-line ordering; that's why i remember only seeing all those white Occre boxes. They do have those cool OCcre metal locomotive kits which I was tempted by last time. 😲

Welcome to MSW and I look forward to seeing a ship build occurring right here in Ottawa! There aren't too many of us I think. 😄

Edited by Ian_Grant

10 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Hello Jack; I live in the west end near Pinecrest Cemetery, so, nearby to you. Yes Great Hobbies at Hunt Club and Merivale has wooden ship kits, mainly Occre, and even a few fittings. They're about it for wooden kits in this town. They're mainly into RC cars and electric airplanes by the look of it. I can never seem to spend less than half an hour there even if I just dropped by for a small item.

Welcome to MSW and I look forward to seeing a ship build occurring right here in Ottawa! There aren't too many of us I think. 😄

You might try asking them if they can order kits from other manufacturers.   I'm in the States but my local will order for items they don't carry as stock..  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)