British Pound weakness vs. the dollar

Stevinne

With the value of the British Pound falling in relation to the dollar, it might be a good time for U.S. modelers to look at Cornwall Model Boats. I've purchased a few things from them and always found their selection to be good, their everyday prices to be among the best around, the shipping costs across the Atlantic reasonable and the service great. I saw the Pound was trading at all-time lows today, so this might be a way to capitalize on economic turmoil, support a good vendor and get a bargain.  

Edited by Stevinne

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Hear, hear! HMS Diana arrived from CMB today!

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

I'll add that the Yen is also at its lowest point in 24 years, so it is also an excellent time to buy a Woody Joe or other kit from Japan. Good source, as I always recommend, is Zootoyz.jp. Excellent service.

Shipping from Japan is expensive, but the exchange rate helps out there too.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

The dollar is trading high versus the Polish zloty as well, which makes it a great time to order card models, but the shipping is where you really take it in the shorts. 😬

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Of course, this has its downsides. My UK Pension, paid to me over here in dollars, has fallen to an all-time low 😞

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

Don't forget that decent buys can be 'vintage' kits (of good quality) that are being sold off (EBAY or flea market) ... and even incomplete or partially built kits can be a source of building stock and fittings.  

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Absolutely. Someone is selling a partially completed Charles P. Notman on eBay - now who could that be?

• 1 month later...

Continuing to take advantage of the weak pound, I added HMS Snake to my retirement stash.

The instructions are indeed quite slim.

Reminds me of a British Baking Show Technical Challenge; Step 1: Make a ship.