16ft Cutter by iMustBeCrazy - FINISHED - SMALL - 1:16 - Bounty's small cutter (jolly boat)

5 hours ago, allanyed said:

This was brought up the other day regarding the Bounty launch.... was the riser scored for the thwarts on the cutter? 

Allan, the only knowledge we have about the small cutter is that it was smaller than the large cutter and that it leaked, that's it. To that we add McKays assertion that it was 16ft long but where he got that from I do not know.

So this is my best guess as to what she may have looked like, I think it's a good guess but I'm biased.

Notched risers are shown on many/most drawings and make sense so I have included them.

Thank you for your kind words.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Does anybody think this is wrong? To me it looks like that's what they intended.

Shot0007.jpg.0a0154805a94a66f1adb2fd2a9e3a84d.jpg

Craig.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Craig,

ZAZ7028 shows something similar, but with the notch for the mast on the aft side of the cross piece.  This would make it easier to raise and step the mast rather than having to lift it and lower through the holes.   Note that the mortise is square.   I am guessing this would have the mast square rather than round from the point where it rests in the mortise down to the step. The plan also shows what appears to be the securing device. 

Allan

1829591007_j0756Cutter.jpg.523f01f0ce111ac39bceba5825178c67.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan, you've sold me, it's not as pleasing to my eye (I think it would look better at station D ) but it's probably right.

Shot0007-2.jpg.d476734a2f07a1979c764b14860e760c.jpg

Craig.

A quick mockup with black washboards. Yes they will be matt black.

IMGP0662cs.JPG.6d03a4f9b40872901b7b9420bb1f1f2f.JPG

Craig.

More progress and a little more mocking up.

IMGP0667s.JPG.1b137da32c79bf06f8f91c9ae4e1e8fc.JPG

Craig.

It feels like I'm getting close now. Just knees, rudder, sail?, oars, cleat, mast clamp then clear coat.

IMGP0668s.thumb.JPG.8a417b36e3955d89b01d603f61c1fed9.JPG

IMGP0669s.thumb.JPG.c5214ca1c9a60cdd8f8c1ee5531b268f.JPG

Craig.

WELL DONE!  The last photo brings up something that is not always seen on models with the proper size and number of frames.  The thwarts and benches both are notched to accommodate the frames which follows the detail seen in the contemporary model in the photo below. 

Thanks

Allan

1432228192_InteriorMedwaylongboat1742.jpg.28f2dc522bf99d99de758debadafc6b0.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan. However, the ribs are spaced at 12" where 8" would probably be more realistic. Also contemporary sketches show I could have used heavier ribs. Oh well, live and learn.

Some progress, there's about an hour in each knee.

IMGP0672s.JPG.8094b3b36f71f57c7a2941141684b4d7.JPG

IMGP0675cs.JPG.09bb5f2e7fc7e239bb4c092da4ca8a56.JPG

IMGP0670cs.JPG.2c8a54a0626a67ce3a825a5b94d49d91.JPG

Craig.

The frames look pretty close as far as sizing.  Can't tell from the photos, but per Mays' scantlings for a 16 foot cutter, 7/8" X 7/8" at the heads is what he shows.  

As to the room and space, that brings up a great point.  Lacking other information, I generally use the station lines as the locations for the frames.   If anyone has more accurate contemporary information on room and space that would be fantastic.    Your dimensions for the frames and spacing looks close, and  superior to the framing on ships' boats found elsewhere.

Allan

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Your dimensions for the frames and spacing looks close, and  superior to the framing on ships' boats found elsewhere.

I'm happy enough, and yes, I dislike seeing frames on cutters and ribs on launches or frames poking through as knees.

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time:

Knees are all finished but not fitted (except the transom). Ironwork is done, fitted and functional but needs the paint touched up.

What has slowed me down is trying to come up with oars that I like (and can make). I think I'm happy with the look but still need to make a set that match.

IMGP0676s.JPG

IMGP0682s.JPG

IMGP0685s.JPG

Craig.

No physical work going on as I pinched a nerve in my wrist, it's getting better though.

Meanwhile, a virtual diorama:

1609502593_SmallCutter1s.png.e59684d285a0dee5d47fe002e5eee39a.png

Craig.

Craig, we will wait. Take care of your wrist.

👍

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Well, I did get a little more done, another oar and the tiller:

IMGP5897s.JPG.33cd14e796a9d2061d5f9059a196871f.JPG

Oh, and a little more playing around:

Boys_painting_a_jolly_boat.png.6ee5c779a5305cd96fcf135d8b360e8c.png

Craig.

Well, the lads got a coat of paint on the interior the other day but the next two days were too hot for painting. So I fitted the thwarts and knees, tapered the mast a little and made the last two oars.

Yesterday the lads finished painting the hull and this morning I painted the oar blades.

I think all that's left is to tidy up the drawings and post them.

IMGP5907s.JPG.7791967ef44f1b463e899388c0e39aa8.JPG

IMGP5911s.JPG.05ab1fd844b14218a617e496bb501077.JPG

Craig.

Drawings as promised, they don't show everything as I've left out the simpler bits. Page 1 is for scaling your prints plus some angle gauges for fairing the moulds. I apparently didn't draw strake 2 but it's basically a rectangle with the ends shaped to fit so it shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't drawn the thwarts or mast support but those are pretty basic. The wood I used is metric, you will have to make your own adjustments for imperial thicknesses.

I've provided two versions for A4 or Legal sized paper. Let me know if printer margins are a problem or if I've missed anything.

This log is the 'instructions' but I'm happy to answer questions.

16ft Cutter 1in16 A4.pdf 16ft Cutter 1in16 Legal.pdf

Craig.

Your thoughtfullness to post the drawings is encouraging me (and hopefully others)  to do the same.  In my case, I am working on the 23 foot launch again.  Two methods have been tried, the second keeping in mind folks with only a modicum of tools that can still do a scratch build in any scale.  Drawings are done, and the second build method is about half way home.

Allan

Thanks Allan,

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

In my case, I am working on the 23 foot launch again.

I think that's where I'm going too, but in 1:16.

Craig.

1:16, now that will be awesome.   I would love to go that route, but I was thinking the 1:48 or even 1:64 would be useful to some folks needing a boat for their ship.   

1:16.....hmmmmm,   sounds like a fun project with the details you will be able to achieve.   Now I am having second thoughts, but for a pinnace or longboat.   FUN TIMES!!😀

52 minutes ago, allanyed said:

1:16, now that will be awesome.   I would love to go that route, but I was thinking the 1:48 or even 1:64 would be useful to some folks needing a boat for their ship.

Well, I have the Model Shipways version in that scale which is why I built this cutter in the same scale, but I now know that there are too many errors in it so I think I will build a more accurate one.

Although I can easily re-scale my drawings, at smaller scales construction techniques dictate the accuracy one I can achieve.

That said, if anyone wants a different scale 16ft cutter let me know.

with the details you will be able to achieve

Unfortunately that will depend on historically accurate knowledge.

Now I am having second thoughts, but for a pinnace or longboat.

Well, I guess that next after the launch should be a 20ft cutter giving the full set.

Craig.