F4U-1A Corsair by DocRob - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/32

DocRob

15 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I'm still undecided about the next build, it will be a spontaneous decision.

Well ignore me then, I detest the "Experts" the bolt and rivet counters that take all the fun out of exploring the subject... We build to our individual standards brother and it can't be any other way....

Whatever you decide to build I will enjoy looking in, If I can offer any help I'm here but remember, always build to your satisfaction... It's going to sit on your shelf not anyone else's....

Your bent winged bird is one of the best I've seen done in 50+ years of modeling.... Very pleasing to the eye and something to be proud of...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Arizona would be a welcome build, in a pre December 7, fit. On some forums, the paint job (gray versus blue) fires up flame wars as to who is correct. I have no oar in the water on that. I just love a well documented build and finishing log. Your work, whatever the build, will do your subject proud. 😄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thank you, you should definitely build one David. Skill sets are only limited by not developing them and I'm often amazed, what is achiveable with a bit of planning and trying out.
I was using good Kabuki tape for masking in my opinion the best material, as it cuts very precise, it doesn't shrink and it adheres well, even in tight spots and corners. Most of the residues on the clear parts were from the inside, like caused by fumes and not through the color application directly.
I have to establish a better workflow, when using lacquer paints with their aggressive thinners. I never had these issues with acrylics, but the lacquers spray so well. I will dig into that with other builds and test, if a bath in Future may help.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob. Yes, I'll build that 1/48 P47, just waiting on some paints, and eventually build the 1/35 F4U. As a note to my skill sets - it's not so much that I can't put any model together and have a decent result, it's that I have some vision problems that make it difficult and quite time consuming to do fine close up work even with corrective lens glasses.

I had not heard of Kubuki tapes so had to look them up. They seem to have a pretty good coverage though maybe not as much as 3m who seem to cover the entire spectrum of whatever needs to be taped.

Again, your F4u is a great build!!!!!!!

Dave W

I have followed your build and enjoyed it a lot. You got a very nice model with a distinctive weathering finish. 

Congrats,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

On 12/31/2022 at 10:36 AM, Egilman said:

Well ignore me then, I detest the "Experts" the bolt and rivet counters that take all the fun out of exploring the subject... We build to our individual standards brother and it can't be any other way....

Whatever you decide to build I will enjoy looking in, If I can offer any help I'm here but remember, always build to your satisfaction... It's going to sit on your shelf not anyone else's....

Your bent winged bird is one of the best I've seen done in 50+ years of modeling.... Very pleasing to the eye and something to be proud of...

I will not ignore you Egilman, your input to my Corsair build was priceless and I'm very thankful for it. I only build for fun and living very remote, never attend competitions or shows. The only real competition is challenging myself with new techniques and hopefully succeed.
Thank you again for your warm reception of my bent wing bird, comments like yours are very motivating.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

23 hours ago, ChrisLBren said:

Simply amazing - one of the best aircraft models I've ever seen.  Congrats

Thank you Chris, with a bit more distance, I start to like the Corsair. I may even paint the pilot figure, a little challenge in it's own, at least for me.
In fact, I'm blushing a bit with so much praise, but the Corsair is an easy kit to shine with, as it nearly builds itself and I could fully concentrate on painting and weathering.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

22 hours ago, Canute said:

Arizona would be a welcome build, in a pre December 7, fit. On some forums, the paint job (gray versus blue) fires up flame wars as to who is correct. I have no oar in the water on that. I just love a well documented build and finishing log. Your work, whatever the build, will do your subject proud. 😄

I have not even thought about starting this and there's the first controversy :D, but thank you for your confidence in my shaky abilities when it comes to ships in small scale, Ken.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

21 hours ago, David W said:

Hi Rob. Yes, I'll build that 1/48 P47, just waiting on some paints, and eventually build the 1/35 F4U. As a note to my skill sets - it's not so much that I can't put any model together and have a decent result, it's that I have some vision problems that make it difficult and quite time consuming to do fine close up work even with corrective lens glasses.

I had not heard of Kubuki tapes so had to look them up. They seem to have a pretty good coverage though maybe not as much as 3m who seem to cover the entire spectrum of whatever needs to be taped.

Again, your F4u is a great build!!!!!!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your vision problems Dave, but I also read the willingness to build in your post and that's what it's all about. Modelling is a hobby we do for fun and everybody contributes what he is able or willing to do.

I used a lot of different masking materials over the years, but Kabuki has become my go to solution. Tamiya Kabuki tapes and a little less refined, but cheaper is the Tesa professional tape are what I use mainly, along with pre cut masking sets from Eduard or in this case from HGW, which are made from Kabuki as well. 

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

16 hours ago, Danstream said:

I have followed your build and enjoyed it a lot. You got a very nice model with a distinctive weathering finish. 

Congrats,

Thank you Dan, I always create a picture in my  mind, with a very detailed vision of what I'm planning to achieve with a build. Normally I get into a kind of building and painting groove than and follow my vision like painting by numbers :D. Except for the finishing touches, it worked with the Corsair.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

... and a happy new year to you all and of course happy modeling :champagne:

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard