Lady Isabella by wool132 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Zulu

It looks like I'm hooked on the fishers from Vanguard Models. This one is the Lady Isabella. It's rated as a kit good for Novices like the Fifie (just completed) and the Ranger (waiting in the wings). I am certainly a Novice so this kit should be right up my alley. After those two we'll move up to the Amateur kits and tackle the Erycina and the HMS Alert (also waiting in the wings).

Here are the parts for the kit, arrayed on my workbench, awaiting two lbs of wood glue and three bottles of aspirin 🙂.

image.thumb.jpeg.5203d19d85afba2021b2e2d85596cb44.jpeg

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

A word about preparation. In order to better keep track of where I am during a model build, I create a spreadsheet with all the build steps from the manual. I imagine that for a lot of you this is all ho-hum, nothing new but I include it here in case you're new to the hobby or you haven't thought much about some of the advantages of using a spreadsheet in a build.

image.jpeg.75ec16e16222f7ad75f28ee3ede8ebe4.jpeg

To do this, I select everything from the first step to the last in the PDF instruction file (pictures and all) and paste the clipboard contents into a blank spreadsheet. I use iOS Numbers and just the text gets put into the sheet. (Windows and Excel may do the same thing.)

I then add two columns in front of the one for the steps. One is a checkbox that toggles between not done and done. The other is a sequence number for the rows with actual content and not headings (in this case Hull Construction). Columns are added after the steps to record the time spend on each step for the days when I work on the model.

I inserted a formula in the top left cell to count the number of unchecked checkboxes in the first column. In this case, there are 240 steps left to complete the model. With any luck, that number will go down as I slave away at the workbench. 🙂

The rows with headings are inserted at various points in the file to give a general idea of what's being worked on. These are usually provided in the Vanguard instructions, though sometimes I add them if I feel they're missing.

Once the sheet has been created, I can reorder the steps if I wish, highlight key steps, insert links to other builder's blog entries or  insert pictures of their work or techniques, add comments (like what NOT to do or things to avoid), add rows to create sub-tasks for a complex step, etc, etc. A sample is shown below:

image.jpeg.9124a1f8c1f4d72d340af02a1232bb35.jpeg
Jonathan

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie

Jonathan,

That is impressively organised. I wish I had the patience to be so thorough… 

I’m hooked on the Vanguard fishers too, my fifth, Erycina, is mostly built now and nearly ready to be masted and rigged. Fifie, Nisha and Zulu were also my first three fishers (and builds).

I thought Zulu was a really enjoyable build and fairly straightforward, biggest challenges I had as a near beginner were planking to that raked sternpost and getting a suitable waterline on her. Enjoy! 

Dan

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

That is an interesting way of storing references to different parts of other build logs  - something to ponder 👍

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

1 hour ago, jpalmer1970 said:

That is an interesting way of storing references

I used to store blog references using browser bookmarks. I wound up with a long list of bookmarks and had no idea what they were for without clicking on them to find out. Quite tedious.

Putting a link in the spreadsheet next to the build step(s) provides a context for the bookmark and I can add clarifying text in the link's verbiage if I want. If you wish to link to a specific reply rather than the whole page of entries, right click on the "Posted  at ..." in the black bar at the top of the targeted entry and choose Copy Link and paste that into the sheet.

As for most of the pictures, I use the iOS Screenshot utility to capture an image from the screen to the clipboard. I paste that into a blank spreadsheet cell, adjust the row height so the image is visible, and add a link if desired.

Jonathan

Yes I am having the same sort of problem with browser bookmarks so I may give an adaptation of your system a try. Thank you very much.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina