EURYALUS 1803 by Peter6172 - 1:48

28 minutes ago, Peter6172 said:

Mark.  It's come to my attention from other modellers here that perhaps you have relocated me to the wrong sub heading.  Perhaps my build log should be in the scracthbuilds of 1801 - 1850 section?

It's been moved to the right area.  No worries.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well done on those hawse timbers. I found that cutting the air spaces on the mill was problematic due to the difficulties of holding the angled pieces securely in the mill vice. I actually mortised out these faces on the Byrnes saw. As the cut does not extend to the top or bottom of the hawse timber you always have two parallel faces contacting the table top. Then it's simply nibbling 1/2" from each or both faces of the timber. If doing it this way make sure to mark the top and bottom lines on the temporarily assembled timbers then disassemble and cut.

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

21 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Well done on those hawse timbers. I found that cutting the air spaces on the mill was problematic due to the difficulties of holding the angled pieces securely in the mill vice. I actually mortised out these faces on the Byrnes saw. As the cut does not extend to the top or bottom of the hawse timber you always have two parallel faces contacting the table top. Then it's simply nibbling 1/2" from each or both faces of the timber. If doing it this way make sure to mark the top and bottom lines on the temporarily assembled timbers then disassemble and cut.

I made up a wood base to secure the pieces to using washer head screws.  I then slid the base piece under the mill by hand (just like a router really) to mill out the slots.  Obviously I had to leave some on the toe so that there was a flat surface to do the other side on Hawse 1, 2 and 3.  I then simply shaved these raised ends with a chisel.

The real test for me is glueing the pieces together as there was no real way to clamp it up.

Completed:  

PORT JACKSON - 1803 Topsail Schooner 1/50 by Modellers Shipyard

HMB ENDEAVOUR - 1768 Bark 1/64 by Artesania Latina

Under Construction:  

HMAV BOUNTY - 1/60 by Amati

NORFOLK Colonial Sloop- 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS EURYALUS - 1:48 Scratchbuild POF

Next Project:  

HMS THUNDRER - 1/48 CAF Models/Scratchbuild

Planned:  

HMS SUPPLY - 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS SIRIUS

Getting on with fitting the Bollard/HawsePieces as well as Frames Zf and Za.   Had all sorts of difficulties envisioning the way the Bollard/Hawse timbers fitted the stem and Frame Zf so I decided to make and fit Frames Zf and Za first so I could see the gap in which the Bollard/Hawse timber pieces went.  This was simplified further by assembling Bollard and Hawse timbers 1, 2 and 3 leaving Hawse Piece 4 to fit later with the filling piece.

While things were drying, I got on with finishing the assembly of Frames 23a, 23f, 22a and 22f and started assembly of Frames 21a and 21f.

I also need to finish scrolling out Frames 0 thru 10, the start cutting templates for the front end of the ship.  

I also finished the preliminary fairing internally and externally off the aft end of the ship.  I employed Dremel's 60grit 30mm diameter sanding disk for this mounted in my Ryobi R18RT rotary tool.  It has more power and lasts longer than my Dremel 8220 and a slightly smaller handpiece.

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

Edited by Peter6172

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

• 2 weeks later...

Well after hours of procrastination, I finally decided I was not happy with how the bollard/Hawse pieces were fitted to the stem so they were all removed.  I had considered just sanding them back to get a neat fit but then decided that if I chose not to plank then I really did need them to fit properly relative to the already cut rabbet.

I need to examine how the Bollard piece fits the stem and will need to mark the pieces with the Reference Line mark so that I can fit them up knowing where they should fit in relation to the stem and the rest of the frames.

I will refit frames Zf and Za before I embark on the Bollard/Hawse pieces but this time make sure that the frames are perpendicular and not slanted aft (caused by the previous poor fit of the pieces).

:(

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

Have made some progress with the reorganisation/refitting/remaking of Bollard and Hawse pieces and forward cant frames.  Have made and fitted port cant frames Zf, Za, Yf, Ya, Xf, Xa with Wf ready to fit.  Starboard side has only Za fitted.

Need to remake Hawse piece #4 port and starboard and Zf for the starboard side.  These splintered during disassembly.

IMG_0576.JPG

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned: