HMS THUNDERER by Peter6172 - CAF - 1:48 - 3rd rate 74-gun ship of the line

IN THE BEGINNING:

OK team, I am starting this thread now as I have some work going on behind the scenes before I open my Christmas 22 present. I have purchased Session 1 of the CAF Bellona kit; a Third Rate 74 gun ship of the line in 1:48 scale. This is going to be a large ship at 1090mm main gun deck length. Not too sure on overall length with bowsprit and Jib Boom but it will stand nearly 1000mm tall once the masts are in place.
Why such a large ship? I don't really know. I sercved on an overseas exchange posting with the Royal Navy teaching post graduate engineering at the Royal Navy Engineering College at Manado, Plymouth. The establishment on which the college was based was HMS THUNDERER. Unfortunately the establishment no longer exists as the college was moved to Collingwood in the late 90's and the base is now a housing estate.

I have initiated the build hiring a 3D designer to produce the figurehead for the model of HMS THUNDERER as I cannot have the kit until Christmas . There are a few ZEUS resin sculptures out there but only one really comes close to the Figurehead. I am using that designer to modify and create a 3D print file for me to use in creating THUNDERERs Zeus figurehead.
I have also gone over the AOS- BELLONA and the Dodds and Moore book "Building a Wooden Fighting Ship" to tease out the details I need for Session 1 which is the keel and Frames of the ship. I may then proceed to scratch build the rest of the hull using the books mentioned as I feel I have developed sufficient skill to do so.
I suspect this will be a long duration build (unlike my current 3 - 6month builds), I suspect this one will be in the order of years. The only issue is its sheer size and where to put it when not working on it......

IMG_0437.jpg

Completed:  

PORT JACKSON - 1803 Topsail Schooner 1/50 by Modellers Shipyard

HMB ENDEAVOUR - 1768 Bark 1/64 by Artesania Latina

Under Construction:  

HMAV BOUNTY - 1/60 by Amati

NORFOLK Colonial Sloop- 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS EURYALUS - 1:48 Scratchbuild POF

Next Project:  

HMS THUNDRER - 1/48 CAF Models/Scratchbuild

Planned:  

HMS SUPPLY - 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS SIRIUS

I'm in also.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Session #1 is a good start, but you should consider getting Session #2 as well, as it will provide all the woods and special parts to cover the hull above the flotation line.  I have described my impression of this kit in another thread HMS Bellona 1/48. 

By the way, the length is more like 1.2 meters or close to 5 feet with a reduced bowsprit.

Yves

Looking forward to this one Peter!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Work in progress by my 3D designer. He has already achieved a great result.   He wants to do some more detailing in the bird.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 10.45.21 am.png

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

Anyone interested in my designers details, he's on CGTrader 3D Projects and FIVERR.  He can be directly contacted on What's App at +94713926123 or email at gayan220@gmail.com

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

Hi Peter, it will be fun for us to follow your build

As it is the Bellona class 74 I assume it is the 1760 Thunderer versus the 1783 ship.   What book is it that you show the Zeus figurehead, the AOS or Building a Wooden Fighting Ship?  Looking at the RMG model of the 1760 Thunderer  it looks like a different figure.  They do mention it may be Hercules, not Thunderer (or maybe some other ship altogether) thus a different figurehead.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,  THUNDERER to which I refer (from Dodds and Moores book) was launched in 1760 and lost in a hurricane in 1780.    I was not aware that another THUNDERER was launched 3 years after the loss of the first.

The ZEUS figurehead is shown in the Dodds and Moore book.  The RMGModel is a builders model of the THUNDERER/HERCULES.  Both THUNDER and HERCULES were ordered on the same date (15/7/1756) however HERCULES was built at Deptford and commenced 2 months earlier than THUNDER who was built at Woolwich and launched  a full year later.

The builders model was made before the design was approved and the order for the ships made.  

These models were used to loft the ship, it was at Deplored first before being transferred to Woolwich.

The figurehead on the ships model would be a modellers interpretation at the time as the ZEUS figurehead was created at Woolwich by John Henslow reputedly on the spot during the construction of THUNDERER (refer Dodds and Moore).

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

• 2 weeks later...

Final 3D model waiting to print.  Have been in contact with one resin printer in Canberra but communications seem to have been broken.   It seems the local crew may have difficulty printing this model 90mm x 40mm x 30mm?

Zeuse.png

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

• 3 weeks later...

My first print of the THUNDERER figurehead. I have put it on the bow of GREYHOUND (1/100).  Unfortunately the shield and crown did not print well as the thickness was too small so I will have to go back to the designer to get those parts bolstered.

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0461.gif

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

you will need 12 mm between the legs

Hi Yves.

I am curious to learn how you arrived at this figure.  I tried some calculations using scantlings from both Steel and the Shipbuilder's Repository, for a 74,  Both put the sided dimension of  the stem at the head at 24".   Assuming the knee of the head is about the same or slightly smaller where it fays to the stem and then tapers as it moves forward to about half the thickness as was normal practice, it would be about 12".   At 1:48 ---  12/48 X25.4 = 6.34mm    I cannot find any other way of calculating this but would love to know of any.  

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Yves.

I am curious to learn how you arrived at this figure.  I tried some calculations using scantlings from both Steel and the Shipbuilder's Repository, for a 74,  Both put the sided dimension of  the stem at the head at 24".   Assuming the knee of the head is about the same or slightly smaller where it fays to the stem and then tapers as it moves forward to about half the thickness as was normal practice, it would be about 12".   At 1:48 ---  12/48 X25.4 = 6.34mm    I cannot find any other way of calculating this but would love to know of any.  

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Allan

Allan,  you are correct.  I feel that Yves has used the thickness of the stem material without taking into consideration that the stem is tapered going forward from the bow.  I did a rough calculation and specified 7mm (based on the drawings in AOS-Bellona), however the designer has only allowed for 5mm at the knees opening to 8mm at the feet.  I am quite comfortable shaving a little off Zeus' knees/stem to get them to fit together.

Edited by Peter6172

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

12 hours ago, Peter6172 said:

Allan,  you are correct.  I feel that Yves has used the thickness of the stem material without taking into consideration that the stem is tapered going forward from the bow.  I did a rough calculation and specified 7mm (based on the drawings in AOS-Bellona), however the designer has only allowed for 5mm at the knees opening to 8mm at the feet.  I am quite comfortable shaving a little off Zeus' knees/stem to get them to fit together.

That's is exactly what I did: The material (cherry wood) is 12 mm thick (made of 3 layers of 4 mm each). As indicated if you do not taper the bow, you will need 12 mm between the legs of the figurehead. It you decide tapering, you should do it before assembling the keel.....

Yves

On 12/6/2022 at 12:55 AM, yvesvidal said:

That's is exactly what I did: The material (cherry wood) is 12 mm thick (made of 3 layers of 4 mm each). As indicated if you do not taper the bow, you will need 12 mm between the legs of the figurehead. It you decide tapering, you should do it before assembling the keel.....

Yves

Thank you for the tip Yves.  

It's under the Christmas tree at present so I will have to wait before I can pull out the parts and do actual test fitting.  The current figurehead may not be the correct size as I based its overall dimensions on the figurehead in the AOS-Bellona book.  Once I have the parts in close proximity, I can then scale and reprint the figurehead if required as it seems a little large at present.  Then gain the Bellona is a large ship even in 1:48 scale.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

• 2 months later...

OK team,  I have put this build on hold as I have taken possession of the EURYALUS from a modeller who has now passed away.   

THUNDERER will be the next cab off the rank.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS