Christmas Ideas

HardeeHarHar

My wife just this morning asked me what was on deck....as in what was going to be the next kit to be built at the Roanoke Island Ship Building Company (despite the fact that I am no where near completion of the Caldercraft Granado at this point in time).  I replied that I had already purchased and received part 1 of the CAFModel Granado kit that I was hoping to build in the split hull, exploded, 3 part version (see below image taken from Wikipedia) as a companion piece to the Caldercraft Granado (like a needle stuck in an album groove).  However, there has been no build log for the segmented build, and even the non-exploded kit looks extremely difficult and labor extensive to just make "another Granado".  I'd love to get people's opinions on how hard it would be to do the segmented build... and know whether there is a build log available from the manufacturer @cafmodel The instructions provided by Cafmodel for building the split hull are not adequate for a builder of my limited skill level, in my humble opinion.  In the absence of clear instructions or a super helpful build log for the split hull version, I am afraid I bought part 1 of a 3 part kit that will never be started.  Notwithstanding the foregoing, my wife then asked: "well you are just about finished with the Master Korabel Secret Vessel at the Durham Dry Dock, so what is next on the agenda there?".  And there was an awkward silence.  I don't know!  I would like to continue building sailing ships, and was considering the HMS Beagle, Bounty or the Endurance, but OcCre's kits don't appear to have great instructions or the wow factor I am looking for (please correct me if I am wrong here), and then looked at Vanguard's kits and considered the Sphinx as a next step up in skill level progression.  Of course the new project from Syren Ship Models has got my attention as well....but they may be a ways off in the future....

So, I am begging everyone to offer up their opinion on what kits I should be considering, so I can tell my wife and send her a link ;-).  Wouldn't attempting a split hull build of the Granado be a death wish?  It sure appears that way now, as there are only 2 build logs of the non-split hull so far.  

image.thumb.png.74df13a9bdbdb90d5faf01cd59f8bb8f.png

12 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

Wouldn't attempting a split hull build of the Granado be a death wish?

From the majority of CAF model build logs that I have followed, I think this would be a long and intensive build (typically commentary on the instructions seem like they are a weak point). Given that you have it, why not decide to work it slowly in the background? As issues arise reach out to the manufacturer and ask in your log - I imagine it won't be easy but I think you'd eventually see the other side (but it may take years). Or maybe build the CAF cross section of the Granado if you would like something related but different?

As for something else - what type of wow factor are you going for? The Sphinx looks like a great build.

20 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

As for something else - what type of wow factor are you going for? The Sphinx looks like a great build.

Well, I upgraded the Granado to Boxwood planking on the hull, and have purchased and begun to employ Syren Ship Model rope, blocks, and deadeyes, etc. for the rigging.  I have also been encouraged to purchase boxwood for the masts, spars, etc as well, instead of using the birch wood that came with the kit.  So, one aspect of wow would be quality materials, the other aspects are appearance overall, historical impact/story.  I liked the Granado because it was a little different, being a bomb vessel and all, and was just difficult enough to make me sweat non-stop.  I really like your suggestion to work on the split hull in the background.  Maybe someday soon someone will elect to do it before me, and start a BUILD LOG!!!  One can hope!

25 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

Maybe someday soon someone will elect to do it before me, and start a BUILD LOG!!!  One can hope!

Ha, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I think the two ideas that jump out to me are anything in the Vanguard line-up (historically accurate and quality materials - some upgradable to boxwood) or if you want to try something different (maybe more from a construction viewpoint) Syren's Cheerful. Whatever you choose - I'm looking forward to (and especially your split Granado).

The original “Split Granado” was built by South African builder Robert Lichtley, and a series of articles detailing its construction were published in early issues of the British magazine Model Shipwright.  I think, late 1970’s.  Old Model Shipwright issues can often be found on EBay and in used book dealer inventories.  If you can pin down and buy the issues that you need you will have a better set of instructions than you will find in any model kit.

I believe that Lichtley built a fully framed model, added planking, and actually sawed it in half.

Roger

It appears to be hard to locate specific issues of Model Shipwright or find the table of contents, and Robert Lichtley doesn't have much of a web presence.  It would be nice of CafModel to do a build log or sponsor someone to do a good build log of the split hull (hint hint), because the instructions for this seem to be quite lacking (at least for someone of my skill level = newbie/intermediate at best).  I will have to take a look at my part I kit when time permits to see how much information is provided that someone like me can understand.  I can definitely saw something in half though 😉

15 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

at least for someone of my skill level = newbie/intermediate at best

Don’t sell yourself too short; this kit may well be quite challenging but if you keep trying to improve your skills you’ll consistently be attempting stuff outside of your comfort zone and growing from it. I’ll get off my soapbox but as someone somewhat over their head on a project (first scratch build) sometimes you dive in and figure it out as you go (but can’t hurt to have a side project like you asked to relieve some stress when it gets hard :-).

The Vanguard Sphinx looks incredible!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 12/13/2022 at 11:32 AM, HardeeHarHar said:

The Amati Pegasus has got a wow factor as well ,lol

Tiss the season to give and receive,So give your self the model you most want and receive all the help and advice you need right here on MSW

Also have no fear ,we have seen your work you pay close attention to details and do amazing work.  BUILD IT,  we will all  help, just don't ask me for planking advice lol 😆

Have a great holiday  to you and all of yours.!!!!    :cheers:.

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati