Bending / lashing sail to gaff

Maury S

Which of two shown methods of lashing LOOKS better for the late 1800s American fishing schooner at 1:48 scale? 

ECB2_Sail-Lashing.thumb.jpg.f8655700d94ac527866bc23a0fb78959.jpg

Thanks for comments

Maury

don't know which one is more authentic, but I prefer the one on the left, its simple and clean. the one on the right looks to clumsy and busy.

Current build: Armed Virginia Sloop

Previous Builds: , Amati Fifie, Glad Tidings,Bluenose II, Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, Fair American, Danmark, Constitution Cross Section, Bluenose 

Thanks...Both are "correct" in general...just trying to narrow down which method looks better.

Maury

I vote for the simpler one on the left. Much cleaner looking at this scale. 

just my 2 cents

Tom

John Van Horn's book Emma C Berry in photographs:  the slade dale collection, 1931-1941 has pictures from the 1930's.  This is later than you have in mind, but ECB is rigged as a schooner.  It looks like the lashing on the left is what was used.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

FWIW,  the Lettie Howard looks to have it as on the left.  This of course is a modern photo so who knows if it is how things were done late 19th century.   There are a bunch of photos of Ernestina (Effie M. Morrisey) on the Library of Congress website that may help as this is prior to reconstruction.  The latest rebuild for Ernestina was recently finished at Bristol Marine in Booth Bay so they may have better information for you.

Allan

1272953697_LettieSelectcolorphotoundersail.jpg.888d57728970ffa2f67920bea562eda1.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks for the comments.  I have those photos (1930s) which have been a big help throughout.  I agree the method on the left is cleaner and certainly easier to execute. 

Maury

I don't know what the practice on late 1800s american fishing schooners was, but jut going round and round, as in the left example, would put all the strain onto the end-lashing. The wind would tend to push the sail towards the claw like a curtain.

The method on the right example seems more probable, although one would do a kind of half-hitch at each point. This has the effect of tying the sail to the gaff very closely. In the older days individual ropes were used, but a continuous rope is more convenient. This is definitely the method used on Dutch vessels in the 19th century.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks to everyone.     Still not settled but more information helps.  I have all those photos of her taken in the 1930s but wondered if the late 1800s were different.    Dutch example is informative.

Maury