USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

I just found out from my newly found friends at Arizona Shipwrights that the grates on a sailing ship should be no bigger than a man's heel. The grates that I struggled so hard to fabricate that were provided by Constructo are big enough to swallow a man's leg! It's too late for me to rectify this major mistake in scale but at least all of you can now check the scale of future grates.

post-4214-0-92048300-1411693689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Rich,

I bet that most people who see your beautiful model will have no idea about the grates unless you tell them!

Send me the info for this new AZ Shipwrights group would you?  The other thread got moved, so not sure anyone noticed the latest activity there.

Thanks,

Finally the hammocks are complete...all 180 of them. Now I have to figure out the best way to secure them. One method would be bees wax and turprntine...I'll have to find out exactly how to make such a brew. Any other ideas?....only friction holds them now.

post-4214-0-52999600-1411861238_thumb.jpg

I soaked mine in black tea and coffee testing until I got the color I was looking for. Te turpentine mixture was made by shaving beeswax into turpentine. and letting it soak over night. I read that I should use as much as would dissolve and to strain out what didn't. As it turned out, it was just right. I shook it a few times and let it dissolve.

As I made the hammocks I used the turpentine mix on my fingers to assist in rolling the hammocks. Then once I placed them in the racks they dried and the hammocks were locked into place. Not sure how you will do this with them already in place, perhaps thin it more and use a brush. I have read where you can add dye to the mixture, but I have never tired that, but I could see where it would work. The neat thing about the mixture is it is thin enough to soak into the material then the turpentine evaporates leaving the wax matrix throughout the material. Evenly distributed so no need for heat or machinations to make it soak into line.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

I started a gun rope coil factory. I gave up on the plastic rolling device since it got very gummy fast. I used 50% PVA and 50% water to soak the rope. Then I just carefully rolled the ropes in my fingers to make the coils. I check several models and very strict Flemish coils looked a bit parade like and not the way guns would be ready for battle. So I made them less formal looking. I still have about a dozen to go.

post-4214-0-11195800-1411931664_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

I put small chunks of beeswax into some turpentine....the wax does not dissolve easily. I guess I'll shave thin wafers in next time.

I've brewed some concoctions to stain the hammocks. Black tea (2 kinds) and coffee. I tested it on similar fabric.....we'll see?

I used a knife to shred the the wax into a mason jar. Covered it with turpentine with a bit more to ensure it was covered enough. After an hour or so, I shook it and did it again a couple more times as well as the next day. What I ended up with was a pudding like mixture. Maybe start with less beeswax, and add more shavings until you get the consistency you are looking for.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I used it making my hammocks. Since they were still damp with the mixture when I placed them in the netting they adhered to the net as well.  It not only stiffened the hammocks, but once the turpentine evaporated made them stiff enough to bind to the netting nicely. Initially I tried painting it onto the netting from the sides once the hammocks were done but found 1) I did not need it, and 2) it tended to span the openings of the netting like a bubble film. I took a small brush with straight turpentine and used the bristles to poke at the netting and the bubbles went away. 

However, just having the hammocks wet when they went in was plenty to prove effective.

Anyway, that was my experience with it.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Sam,

I haven't done anything yet. I'm experimenting. First with coloring the hammocks so they are not so white. As far as gluing them, I don't know. Bill said to use the beeswax and turpentine. I just made a mixture and am running an experiment with a hammock. I'll check it in the AM.

So far friction is holding the hammocks in the netting very well. Maybe I'll leave it for now.

Just completed my first spar. This one attaches to the bowsprit. Does anybody have an idea what its function is? It doesn't hold a sail.

post-4214-0-19628900-1412135786_thumb.jpg

Spar is now attached to the bowsprit. I now have to run eight lines from the bowsprit through the eyelets on the spar to blocks mounted on the anchor davits. I still can't imagine what the function of this spar is?

post-4214-0-44251200-1412138280_thumb.jpg

Hi Rich:

That's your spritsail yard.  It's configured quite-a-bit different than the one on my MS plans but you're right, it doesn't have a sail. It should go just behind the dolphin striker on the jib boom. I think it's for the fixed and traveling guy lines. Just mainly for support of the boom assembly.

Cheers

George

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Interesting question. While I have see noter ships with sails attached to the spirit sail I can find no instance of the Connie with one. Her Sail Plan from the Navy site also has the spar but it is bare. George may be right in it being used for stiffening the rigging rather than actually having a sail attached. I would assume that even if it did have a sail, this one would be rarely used.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I think you're all right....the bowsprit spar is used to stiffen the bowsprit against sideward pull from the jibs.

I've rigged as much of the bowsprit that I can until I get the masts erected. Constructo makes this rigging more like a detective story....I have to search numerous places and then guess where the line goes. Oh well...if it was easy anybody could do it.

post-4214-0-88573500-1412229566_thumb.jpg

Rich, that bowsprit rigging looks great. I can see now why they may never have had a sail on this spar - no room for it!

Your detective work has paid off.  The rigging looks great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I thought you might like to se this if you had not already.

post-10450-0-52220500-1412281235_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-01255200-1412281236_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Now there's a couple of really nice bow shots. I'll be referencing these myself when it comes time to rig in a couple years or so. :)

Cheers

George

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild