USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

Rich, this is looking great. Why did you choose to use the chain as an anchor bower?

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Bill: I believe the anchors at the bow are called "bower anchors" themselves, and the term I think you're looking for is "anchor rode" From what I've read, chain was used as well as cable rope, for the "rode", leaving it to the captain to decide which. 

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Sorry, I meant to saw hawser, not bower. The reason I ask was the Connie was not fitted for chain until probably the 1850's. The switchover from hemp to chain required a huge change to the ship including the addition of iron hawse pipes as well as chain lockers etc. The Capstan also had to be modified to handle the chain links. 

Anyway, she certainly has chain now. One reason she still does is the inordinate expense to modify the ship back. There is an interesting article on this at the Museum site. The link is below.

http://156.112.98.23/USSCTour/manuals/ConstitutionAnchorChain.pdf

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Well, I failed to also mention it was a period thing, with the chain coming later, but with Constructo's version, I think the focus is the over-all ornate beauty of the ship, being unpainted and with light and dark wood designed for aesthetics, rather than historical accuracy.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Rich, this is looking great. Why did you choose to use the chain as an anchor bower?

The chain is prettier than plain rope. Besides, a hank of chain helps set the anchor.

It is a beauty.

Bill,

Can you shoot some pics of how you hung coiled lines to your belaying pins? I did what you suggested and ran the lines through the pin holes then re-inserted the pins. Now I want to give the impression of neat coiled lines hanging from each pin.

Here you are. With only a couple of exceptions, I only placed coils where I had rope terminating on the pin rail. The exceptions were on the stern fife rail where I had some open space that I thought needed to be filled. I did not attempt to add enough coils to actually run a line, I also did not want to cover the ship in coils, and I wanted the coils to be similar but not too so.

Of course I made all the coils off the ship. I used the Beeswax/Turpentine mixture to wet them. I wound the requisite number of coils around a dowel then gently pulled it off and shaped it. I made sure that as I shaped the final loop going over the pin, I hid the other end since theoretically the other end was supposed to be up in the rigging somewhere.

Then it was a matter of touching glue to the pin area and lowering the loop over the pin head and shaping how it hung. I did have to use some additional glue behind some of the coils to get them to hang just right.

post-10450-0-10367200-1426254814_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-23046200-1426254815_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-44292100-1426254816_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-47174900-1426254817_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-18230000-1426254818_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-11416900-1426254819_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-10087500-1426254820_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Here you are. With only a couple of exceptions, I only placed coils where I had rope terminating on the pin rail. The exceptions were on the stern fife rail where I had some open space that I thought needed to be filled. I did not attempt to add enough coils to actually run a line, I also did not want to cover the ship in coils, and I wanted the coils to be similar but not too so.

Of course I made all the coils off the ship. I used the Beeswax/Turpentine mixture to wet them. I wound the requisite number of coils around a dowel then gently pulled it off and shaped it. I made sure that as I shaped the final loop going over the pin, I hid the other end since theoretically the other end was supposed to be up in the rigging somewhere.

Then it was a matter of touching glue to the pin area and lowering the loop over the pin head and shaping how it hung. I did have to use some additional glue behind some of the coils to get them to hang just right.

Thank you very much! This really helps me.

One other thing that I would do, is after I hung a coil, I would take something, usually the point of my tweezers, and would place it in the lower part of the coil and tension it downward. This allowed me to make sure the loop was seated well over the pin, and I could adjust the hang and final shape of the coil. It is after this that I would decide if I needed to place any additional glue behind the coil to hold it in the correct position. The vast majority of the coils were hung without needing any additional glue. Since all of the coils were glued initially just at the pin, it was pretty simple to swing a coil up with tweezers and apply any additional glue to the back of the coil, then use the tweezers to push it down into the position I wanted it to stay.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I was measuring the ship for a case when I got this bird's eye view of her and took these pictures.

post-4214-0-69732600-1426352741_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-74085300-1426352752_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not....I now know....and will forever know....where all those braces, sheets and halyards go. A month ago I was plain stumped!

Believe it or not....I now know....and will forever know....where all those braces, sheets and halyards go. A month ago I was plain stumped!

Like Dennis said Rich: Knowing what their purpose is, and what they're called, is half the battle.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Anybody know where to get 90mm longboat kits?  Inexpensively?

Rich, go to Model Expo's website - in the search box type LONGBOATS - they have a whole page of small longboat kits.  Not sure if they are 90mm but worth a look-see.

I'm rigging the spanker. Wow...there's a lot more there than meets the eye. I put up the ships colors, also including a pennant on the tip of the main. I made the pennant out of an old flag from my last (first) model.

post-4214-0-45123000-1426533918_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-41888100-1426533929_thumb.jpg

Anybody know where to get 90mm longboat kits?  Inexpensively?

Rich, 

I have the CAD drawings for the 25 Captain's Gig and 28' Whaleboat. I also have the drawings of the 34' launch. These could be scaled to your model, but it would mean scratch building them.

Let me know and I will get them to you.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Rich, 

I have the CAD drawings for the 25 Captain's Gig and 28' Whaleboat. I also have the drawings of the 34' launch. These could be scaled to your model, but it would mean scratch building them.

Let me know and I will get them to you.

I'm not up to scratch building. Thanks