Boulton-Paul Defiant Mk 1 (NF) by Realworkingsailor - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

Thanks guys!

11 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow nicely done Andy!!  Sharp looking plane there.  Great job on the masking for glass - I'm sure the turret was fun :) 

Hope your shoulder is doing better.

Every day my shoulder is getting better, I would say I’ve recovered better than 95 percent of my range of motion. I have another follow up appointment at the beginning of March, hopefully I’ll be given the go ahead to be able to start lifting things again. 

Yeah, the turret had its moments, and there were more than a few occasions where I ripped all the tape off and started over again. The biggest help, I think, when it comes to masking, is after taping, make the first coat clear gloss. It will seal the edges of the tape (so there’s no colour bleed later on), and won’t fog the plastic. 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Well done, Andrew. A splendid rendition.

The yellow patch was normally on the left wing, in clear view of the pilot, before leaving the cockpit.

It was a sheet of chemically treated stuff. used by the RAF early in the war.

It's purpose; to indicate (by changing colour) if the airfield was under gas attack.

He was provided with a gas mask for such an eventuality.

As unprepared for war as it was, Britain did make sure the entire population (including babies) were issued their own gas mask.

The British have always called an aircraft an AEROPLANE,

34 minutes ago, shipman said:

Well done, Andrew. A splendid rendition.

The yellow patch was normally on the left wing, in clear view of the pilot, before leaving the cockpit.

It was a sheet of chemically treated stuff. used by the RAF early in the war.

It's purpose; to indicate (by changing colour) if the airfield was under gas attack.

He was provided with a gas mask for such an eventuality.

As unprepared for war as it was, Britain did make sure the entire population (including babies) were issued their own gas mask.

The British have always called an aircraft an AEROPLANE,

Very interesting, I did not know what that yellow patch was all about. I assumed it was possibly some early iteration of the fighter command stripes seen on the leading edge of later war fighter planes’ wings.

As for its location, I will again plead ignorance, I just followed the Airfix instructions, so if there’s an error, it’s theirs. 😜

ADD2AA12-36BD-4F15-9CF1-D7BE4D588288.thumb.jpeg.fd3a888ca28087da5787175537b002be.jpeg

Oddly enough, the day colour scheme does have the yellow patch on the left:

8678BD81-50A3-4509-87F9-8F0484D04D68.thumb.jpeg.1a927c14a6dcf5a8e45bc0e134c763bc.jpeg

Perhaps because of the second man in the turret, it wasn’t as critical were it was as long as either the gunner or pilot could see it.

Thanks for your kind words!  

Andy

PS: As to the aircraft/aeroplane, being Canadian, not sure which side of that fence I’m supposed to land on… 😆

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

3 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

The biggest help, I think, when it comes to masking, is after taping, make the first coat clear gloss. It will seal the edges of the tape (so there’s no colour bleed later on), and won’t fog the plastic. 

Did you use Future for this?  And did you spray it on/brush it on the mask edges/dip the canopies?  I haven't tried that approach yet, but have had bleeding issues in the past.  I was going to try sealing the edges on my Buffalo by painting on some kind of clear by brush along the edges, but in the end decided not to and just crossed my fingers (luckily it worked).

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Did you use Future for this?  And did you spray it on/brush it on the mask edges/dip the canopies?  I haven't tried that approach yet, but have had bleeding issues in the past.  I was going to try sealing the edges on my Buffalo by painting on some kind of clear by brush along the edges, but in the end decided not to and just crossed my fingers (luckily it worked).

I used Testors Glosscote in a rattle can, although any gloss finish applied with an airbrush could work, as long as the subsequent layers of paint will adhere to it.  

Taking this even further, when masking for different colours, seal the masked edge with the first colour before switching to the second colour. If something is going to bleed under the tape, it may as well be the colour you want, rather than the colour you don’t.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice build and good result with the black finish. Stencils look good too, with no silvering.

Congrats,

Dan

PS - Should Langley have succeeded with his machines before the Wright, we would now talk of 'aerodromes' (I like the terms 'aeroplane' or 'airplane' better).

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart