Cordless Micro Drills

I have had a General Tool cordless screwdriver with a chuck attachment. 

It works as a reamer, but the RPM are not all that they could be, nor the power.

I suspect any battery operated mini drill might not perform as well as desired.

A small DC motor with narrow gauge wiring to a selectable power supply ( MPJA ~$25) -more power - small enough wire not matter vs wireless.

AliExpress  features small motors - some with a larger Jacobs chuck - and some with a #60 or smaller keyless chuck.

Anything with a fixed DC output transformer will probably under perform.

As I understand it, a DC motor will tolerate higher voltage or amps - maybe have a premature death - but they respond poorly to an under the rating power supply?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Along with what Bob is saying, I don't see that being much more useful than a pin vise.  It is going to stall very easily and the tool selection is very limited compared to devices with a 1/8 collet sharing the Dremel type tools.

While not cordless, I have found this to be very useful for light work.  It weighs in at 6.8 oz, so is very easy to use.

Dremel 2050-15 Stylo

image.png.838e654e051f737ab65bcf64f0be5e21.png

It also takes the Dremel keyless chuck eliminating the need to change collets for the smallest drill bits on up to 1/8  for all Dremel type accessories. 

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

This drill appears to be aimed at the craft market; jewelry, Knick knacks, etc. where things don’t need to be measured.  The tool, therefore, is not fitted with a  chuck to accept different sized drill bits.  Instead the drill uses proprietary bits all with the same sized shank to fit into a socket.  This would seriously limit is usefulness and lifetime.  Which will fail first, the drill or the proprietary bits?

Roger

5 hours ago, Gregory said:

Along with what Bob is saying, I don't see that being much more useful than a pin vise.  It is going to stall very easily and the tool selection is very limited compared to devices with a 1/8 collet sharing the Dremel type tools.

While not cordless, I have found this to be very useful for light work.  It weighs in at 6.8 oz, so is very easy to use.

Dremel 2050-15 Stylo

image.png.838e654e051f737ab65bcf64f0be5e21.png

It also takes the Dremel keyless chuck eliminating the need to change collets for the smallest drill bits on up to 1/8  for all Dremel type accessories. 

I should have searched harder.  I bought a regular dremmel and I find it way to powerful.  This thing would be perfect for me...

The 'Chicago ' variable speed flex-shaft drill (sold at Harbor Freight) I've enjoyed BOTH power and lower speeds (modulated by a foot control - like my 'old school' sewing machine).  I do have to use an Enco mini pin chuck (has three small collet sizes) to use 'wire drills' for the best results.  Yeah, there is that flex shaft attached to the motor that hangs from a provided wall hook.  'Same would be true for a old-style dental drill ... my brother got that from my dad's estate 'cause he was there first. 

Edited by Snug Harbor Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

7 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

The 'Chicago ' variable speed flex-shaft drill (sold at Harbor Freight)

HF used to all but give away a small hand drill with a single volt transformer.  Totally useless as sold - too weak.  

When plugged into a variable power supply and the voltage cranked up - it works.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers