Hi all,    does  anyone know the  exact  make up  of Micro Set please?   reason I ask  is  -  I read  its  diluted  White Vinegar?

Long story short  I need  to do a minor microwave oven interior  repair  to a  bit  of  seam rusting,  and  I read  you can treat rust  with  White Vinegar,  then paint over the  top of it  with  microwave safe  enamel paints.

OC. 

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

No one knows for sure cause microscale refuses to release the formula and the people who do the MSDS on such things refuses to make them...

Which means it is not a hazard to anyone's health, or is a toxic chemical... Micro set... the overall internet opinion on it is Acetic Acid.. A completely natural product you can buy it by the gallon without restriction... 

So no I do not believe that Micro set is diluted white vinegar, it is acetic acid.... They are two different things although coming from the same source...

The sniff test is what most everyone uses and it smells like vinegar... For doing what you want to do? go to your local concrete supply house or big box store and buy a quart of acetic acid, then you will have the proper grade for doing such work as etch cleaning rusty metals...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I think the concentration of acetic acid in Micro Set is too dilute to be of any significant use other than for decals. Most household vinegar is about 5% acetic acid by volume, Micro Set might be somewhere around 2 or 3 percent (I’m no chemist, just my own personal guesstimate).

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

No one knows for sure cause microscale refuses to release the formula and the people who do the MSDS on such things refuses to make them...

Which means it is not a hazard to anyone's health, or is a toxic chemical... Micro set... the overall internet opinion on it is Acetic Acid.. A completely natural product you can buy it by the gallon without restriction... 

So no I do not believe that Micro set is diluted white vinegar, it is acetic acid.... They are two different things although coming from the same source...

The sniff test is what most everyone uses and it smells like vinegar... For doing what you want to do? go to your local concrete supply house or big box store and buy a quart of acetic acid, then you will have the proper grade for doing such work as etch cleaning rusty metals...

Thank you kindly brother,     its  such a tiny area  inside  at the  back  along the  seam.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

I think the concentration of acetic acid in Micro Set is too dilute to be of any significant use other than for decals. Most household vinegar is about 5% acetic acid by volume, Micro Set might be somewhere around 2 or 3 percent (I’m no chemist, just my own personal guesstimate).

Andy

Thank you  kindly Andy.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Andy

I don't know anything about this application, but if what you want is higher concentrations of acetic acid, try an old time photography supplier.  In the wet lab darkroom days, "Stop Bath" was approx. 2% acetic acid, but the stores stocked 28% acetic acid, and also "Glacial" acetic acid, which was straight anhydrous acetic acid.  You can then dilute it to desired strength for your application.

Richard

2 hours ago, Altduck said:

I don't know anything about this application, but if what you want is higher concentrations of acetic acid, try an old time photography supplier.  In the wet lab darkroom days, "Stop Bath" was approx. 2% acetic acid, but the stores stocked 28% acetic acid, and also "Glacial" acetic acid, which was straight anhydrous acetic acid.  You can then dilute it to desired strength for your application.

Thank you kindly Richard.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

This  is the  area  I need  to treat  and  hopefully  touch up with a  small tin of  microwave  safe  enamel paint.

I assume  its  safe to use  at the moment  not  from a  radiation leak  perspective  as  I dont think it is leaking,   but  the actual  food  should  still  be ok  being  cooked  in covered  containers (like  cling film  pricked covers)  shouldn't it?

The rusting is only small in and the rest  of the  inside  is  perfect.

OC.

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Altduck said:

but the stores stocked 28% acetic acid, and also "Glacial" acetic acid, which was straight anhydrous acetic acid.  You can then dilute it to desired strength for your application.

Yep, Glacial is used to etch concrete in prep for painting or staining... you do have to figure out a formula to match the application, stripping/cleaning rust is a high concentration job...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hmm.... why not just use some fine grit sandpaper and sand it down to bare metal then paint?   From the photos I can't tell if any of the rust has gone through the metal completely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

19 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Hmm.... why not just use some fine grit sandpaper and sand it down to bare metal then paint?   From the photos I can't tell if any of the rust has gone through the metal completely.

I don't  think it has  as it  still  feels  solid.

The  Urgency  to  fix  it  is  its  our only  cooking device  as  our  electric  cooker  stopped  working  and  we have not been able  to replace it  -  so we  are  fully reliant on the microwave.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Do  you guys  think it is safe to use  till  I can  get the  stuff  to  treat the rust and paint  over  those  areas  if the  food  is covered  inside the micro.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I would think so, OC.  I do a lot of microwaving being single and lazy and I cover everything as part of the lazy is not wanting to clean up the splatter.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I would think so, OC.  I do a lot of microwaving being single and lazy and I cover everything as part of the lazy is not wanting to clean up the splatter.

Thank you Mark,    was   just looking for  some  reassurance  so I can also   tell the  admiral  as  she has  been  a  bit worried also.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress  on this  folks  -  I  got hold  of a  tin of  microwave   safe  enamel  paint from a  microwave  repair shop,  its  supposed to  be the  exact same  type of paint  they  spray  the  inside  of  microwaves.

I turmed it off  found a good  place  to work on it,  then i  made sure  both  areas  to be painted  where  clean and  any loose  fragments  cleaned away,  then  using a small  brush  I started  to  put  some  paint layers  down, drying  them in between with a  hairdryer,   I  put about  Five  layers  down  untill  all  rust  dents  and  marks  where  covered.

I then  turned the  microwave  over  and did the  same to the  other  damaged area.

It  was  put in place  and  with the  door left  open  - was  left over night   before  testing it.

Hopefully  its  saved our microwave  and  our  health, as I am sure  radiowaves  bouncing off  rust  areas  can not be safe  with  microwaved food.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.