HM Cutter Speedy 1828 by oakheart - from plans drawn by Bill Shoulders in 1972

As someone else has suggested, a tarred canvas 'boot' was fitted on the outboard side of the rudderhead between it and the rudder port. It looked rather like a bag hanging down to allow the rudder to turn unimpeded. It was called a rudder coat.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

1 hour ago, druxey said:

a rudder coat

Thanks druxey @druxey I may have a go at making one and see what it looks like, a bit more research needed

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

I have added a corner timber and I think it really helps to tidy up the stern area.

cornercounteradded.thumb.jpg.90e5dd3e2bb0eefbc0c034655ac82ee5.jpg

I need to line them all up and glue in place.

Edited by oakheart

Current Builds :

85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

8 hours ago, oakheart said:

Now I am confused. I do not get the reference?

I was thinking barrels of cognac, thus joining the smugglers.

should I add two more in the corners, it would also hide that ugly gap.

There would likely be six, they should disappear through the deck (or appear to).

ox.png.a1462508f6816c24c42c269f1f2b7ccb.png

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

15 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

joining the smugglers.

Ha Ha, I'm a bit slow on the uptake  😇

Current Builds :

18 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

There would likely be six

Thanks Craig @iMustBeCrazy that is a really good illustration, I have made and fitted just 4, it adds detail without getting too cluttered.

Tim

Current Builds :

Today I did the stern grating, I used Chuck's @Chuck Cheerful version which is flush with the deck rather than Bills original  version.
I think it looks a lot neater.

sterngratingflush1.thumb.jpg.0c2268e6b017376ba24f4c8b1bbaa41e.jpg

I am annoyed with myself, I had pencilled in bills original size for the grating, then gave the deck a coat of nonWOP. 

Of course the pencil now shows, I will have to try and sand it out and re coat

I learn something new every day.

Tim

Current Builds :

45 minutes ago, oakheart said:

I will have to try and sand it out

Thank goodness, a quick sand down with 400 grit paper a fresh coat of nonWOP and you can't ( well hardly ) see the join

sterngratingcleanedup.thumb.jpg.4d6124d103e93db36df105ec7156a2ca.jpg

Current Builds :

Cheerful version which is flush with the deck rather than Bills original 

A raised grating to access the bread room was the norm with Cheerful being an exception, however she was later modified (ZAZ6472) so it must have been a bad idea.

Craig.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

2 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

A raised grating to access the bread room was the norm

OK, Ok  I will change it to the real thing, how do you find out all this stuff.................

Tim 🙂

Current Builds :

1 hour ago, oakheart said:

OK, Ok  I will change it to the real thing

Owner and Master.

1 hour ago, oakheart said:

how do you find out all this stuff.................

Curious I guess. We have just been discussing water coming up around the rudder so a flush grate sounded like a silly idea, you mentioned Cheerful so I looked at her drawings. The first indeed showed a flush grate but the second showed the alteration.

Most drawings don't actually show grates (another of those "we don't show everything" things) however one that does is Tower, a tender for the transport of pressed men, which shows a grating which can be locked.

And by the way, your grating does look nice. :)

Craig.

7 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

your grating does look nice.

Thank you Craig. I agree it does seem totally impractical in use, but if I make the 'rudder coat' as  @druxey suggested , my bread won't get too soggy.

I do love this exploration, it's really incredible that we have realtime access to all of these records so we find find stuff out.

Tim

Current Builds :

So enough of being cheerful, back to speedy.....

Here is the scuttle with a raised grating. I know it should have a half lap joint at the corners, but I found it difficult enough to get this made.

sterngratingwithcomming.thumb.jpg.816fdcdf1251cb7d0b32b67df5cd059d.jpg

How do you all work this small?  I know 1:48 is not that small, but getting things square is a problem for me.

The hires Danish archive drawing shows some sort of moulding or profile round the top, not sure how to deal with this?

commingroundsterngrate.jpg.0275d545f5ce3e3420a28ad42073c731.jpg

Tim

Current Builds :

Looking good Tim!

About getting things square or any other intentioned angle, people here utilize jigs for almost everything. Put some time into a jig, make it to desired spec, and then build your piece. Especially if there is more than one item to do, this way is beneficial.

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

3 hours ago, Wintergreen said:

people here utilize jigs for almost everything

Hi Håkan @Wintergreen thanks for the praise.

I can see how jigs are useful, the problem is making them accurately.
Thinking about it, I do have a 3D printer, I shall do some research to see if there is anything already done.

If there is nothing suitable, I could try and design something in Fusion 360 then print it.

A lot of people talk of using LEGO bricks, I shall have to raid my granddaughters collection.

Tim

Edited by oakheart

Current Builds :

Working on the companion way, I was not sure which drawing to go with. 

Bills shows this

bills billsdwg.jpg.38a84b8adfec14fe5b87e4bfff9c214b.jpg

Danish archive

danishdwg.jpg.955bf08fabc9642ec5397c4bc4dd3af7.jpg

this shows doors are not square, I went with this, it looks a bit odd.

topview.thumb.jpg.76912abc13fa82634b7cc6b8177f2e47.jpg

needs cleaning up and a skirting added round the base

the hinges are just black paper but do allow the doors to open ( I just noticed the doors are hinged on the wrong side )

companionway3quarterview.jpg.404cacff98e8a376358232f7afbae279.jpg

does not look bad in place on deck

companionwayinplace.thumb.jpg.010ec335f0a616c972d08405859688e5.jpg

Having run out of suitable cedar I used some of the maple deck planks, it does not give a good finish, I may just remake it.

Tim

front view.jpg

Edited by oakheart

Current Builds :

14 hours ago, oakheart said:

Working on the companion way

Tim, this is a bit of a tough one. I did a bit of experimental archaeology (masking tape outline on floor) and unless the roof opening is at least 18" (and I mean absolute minium) I would have trouble getting in in a reasonably dignified manner (admittedly I'm not a flexible as a young commander).

As it is I suspect the normal method of entry would be to sit on the deck with your legs over the coaming and stand on the ladder two or three rungs down.

But contemporary models show you're most likely on the right track. I would suggest it was built over a hatchway with a raised coaming just like the bread room one but with no grating, square to the deck not the keel as drawn, it may slope down to port (or may not) to assist draining, tight joints to reduce leaks, it may have a small gutter under the hinge, it may be glazed on at least one side. Alternatively it may have a half sliding roof.

Of course I may be completely wrong. ;)

This might give you an idea as to how small it is although this one is lower than that on Speedy:

bhc4178.jpg

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

16 minutes ago, druxey said:

Can you say where this painting is from and a date? Looks about 1830 to 40 to my eye.

Pretty good guess, https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-15591

Craig.

8 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

This might give you an idea

That is a useful image, shows all sorts of things, even with artistic licence they drew what they saw. Love the rug at the companionway entrance.

The open grating caught my eye, alway thought they were one piece.

with the companion way, as far as I can make out is shown on the plans with a hinged half lid that flaps back.

Thinking more about it, placing the doors on the side and having those crazy trapezoid shaped doors makes even less sense.

The plans show the steps running fore and aft in line with the ship.

I need to look at some more contemporary models.

Tim

Edited by oakheart

Current Builds :

Here is another of a cutter yacht "Ganymede" of 1870 by the same artist Nicholas Matthew Condy

e99dfd3e-6748-464b-a187-41355efde6c9.Jpe

https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/The-R-Y-S--cutter-yacht-Ganymede--with-t/0861A8BC3D3D2429

it shows a head popping up the companionway with loads of other good detail.

Once I started looking there are other paintings, the next one clearly show the lid hinged sideways and the windows that Craig @iMustBeCrazy mentioned.

Nicholas_Condy_-_The_Yacht_The_Guernsey_

https://www.meisterdrucke.ie/fine-art-prints/Nicholas-Condy/825579/The-Yacht-The-Guernsey-with-her-Owner-and-his-Family-and-Crew-Aboard.html

How she got down the companionway in that dress we will never know.

Tim

Edited by oakheart

Current Builds :

51 minutes ago, oakheart said:

Thinking more about it, placing the doors on the side

ZAZ6430 also shows them on the side and covers Fancy, Kite, Racer and Sprightly. Speedy is also mentioned. The Vigilant class opens aft.

26 minutes ago, oakheart said:

How she got down the companionway in that dress we will never know.

Head first like a shuttlecock?

I'll do some enlargements of your paintings.

Craig.

2 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

ZAZ6430 also shows them on the side

I agree, they really did do it that way, my dilemma is how did they actually make the doors. should they be trapezoid and hinged oddly as I have done, or ?

I need to research 18th and 19th Century wood work now. As used on ship of course.

I am going to remake the whole thing in cedar, just building a dedicated thickness sander from scrap parts first.

Tim

Current Builds :

14 minutes ago, oakheart said:

my dilemma is how did they actually make the doors. should they be trapezoid and hinged oddly as I have done, or ?

As I said, I'd just make the whole thing square to the deck.

The shuttlecock is sitting against a skylight, the companionway is forward of that and has a sliding roof.

Craig.

3 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

The shuttlecock is sitting against a skylight

Ah yes, I see that now.

3 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

make the whole thing square to the deck

That makes the most sense, I will do a new version like that.

Current Builds :

You may have already been there, but in the Gallery under “Contemporary Models “, page 2, there are several cutter models.  You might get some different ideas about companion ways.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

7 hours ago, Gregory said:

in the Gallery under “Contemporary Models

This Brig (original photos by Larry Van Es) looks close to me. 

gallery_492_500_943379-c.jpg.4db48b4a0c86f44b8b94d6c44594db81.jpg

gallery_492_500_347195c2.jpg.d7e68f4adcf37d46bdfb68668000bf6f.jpg

Craig.

A couple of possibilities, the first built on top of the hatch coaming the other surrounding it. I think the latter is more likely based on drawings and models.

Lapwing1in24_01.PNG.7d718469767b7780960a1c2d1d8ebfcd.PNG

Lapwing1in24_02.PNG.fca3c1bb87b7f3c60ddfa5e6367602cf.PNG

Craig.

11 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

looks close to me.

Thanks Craig @iMustBeCrazy I agree that would be a good example to copy, I will draw it up to scale. 

edit: - you have already drawn it 🙂

I did look again at all the cutters that tony  @tkay11 photographed but none looked similar.

Tim

Edited by oakheart
add note on crossed messages

Current Builds :