HM Cutter Speedy 1828 by oakheart - from plans drawn by Bill Shoulders in 1972

I also needed to make the waterway, the drawing shows a moulding but I went for a simple triangular section 1x1mm.

After cutting some 1x1mm square I made a simple sanding jig, the sides are at 45 degrees so that the section sits neatly  in place ready to have half of it width sanded away leaving a triangular section.

waterwaystrianglejig.thumb.jpg.4e688ff4831578a990c6dbd07f4205ce.jpg

It gets very delicate, I managed to snap the first one I tried, then being much more gentle I managed to get two usable strips

1mmwaterwaystrip.jpg.1d9df8b1b8ede7a1b5a99a992c8293bf.jpg

Now to glue them in place

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

• 2 weeks later...

Waterways fixed in place,

sterndetails1.thumb.jpg.9253719dec33262d02109148c9b1da10.jpg

cleaned up and added some detail to the stern I need a couple of bits of moulding to cover the ragged edges.

sterndetails3.thumb.jpg.f1bba2530fcb2d7927ecf626568fe914.jpg

next job could be lining then gun ports. 

As I no longer appear to be following Bills original here I am not going to add port lids, KISS

I think it will look better without them.

Question, can anyone tell me if there would have been scuppers on a cutter like this?

Tim

Current Builds :

85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

3 hours ago, oakheart said:

Question, can anyone tell me if there would have been scuppers on a cutter like this?

I can find only one picture showing what are probably scuppers, none of the drawings show them.

CutterResolution_c.jpg.c668de6473c9c00f4c7369ebcdde0dc3.jpg

However there must have been some kind of deck drainage.

It is possible that the bulwark planking had a gap at deck level but Lapwing/Speedy drawings show waterways so that's ruled out, which leaves scuppers.

Given the waterline, I would guess aft of the pumps possibly between the gun ports as below (tiny green dots).

ZAZG5757DanskLapwingafloat.jpg.63b9ca83b7b2895bdf812f414162705c.jpg

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

41 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

there must have been some kind of deck drainage.

That's what I thought, I will not be messing with this model to show it.
But there would have been an awful lot of water sloshing about on deck without any kind of drain.

Tim

Current Builds :

FWIW Chuck did include scuppers on Cheerful;

image.png.8f78db6071a1726f8b68e6115f0850b2.png

Aft, as shown in the painting above ( if those are scuppers ) wouldn't make much sense.

If I remember correctly, from some of the Cheerful logs, some builders chose not to model them.

I have seen several contemporary models that did not show them either.

I think it was one of those things that didn't show up on contemporary line drawings because they were taken for granted.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

FWIW  contracts show the number of scuppers.  An example from the contract for the 16 gun sloop, Nautilus 1784 is below.

Allan

Scuppersincontract.thumb.jpg.85d87845db1c7a5c415e31c2939375c8.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

contracts show the number of scuppers

Thanks Allan @allanyed what an amazing amount of detail we can call on from that period.
Interesting that the oar ports had their own lids

Tim

Current Builds :

30 minutes ago, oakheart said:

Interesting that the oar ports had their own lids

They sometimes  had horseshoe shaped hinge plates and opened sideways versus vertically.  The first photo below is of a contemporary model of a fifth rate of 1689 at Preble Hall.  It is hard to tell but the second is a contemporary model of a 24 gun of 1745 from RMG and appears to have straight hinge plates, but they do open horizontally as well.

Allan

DSC01317.thumb.JPG.17b3e84c7cbb8a44524477b8c0bf15df.JPGSweepports24gun1745.thumb.jpg.d40ffa24e7c0880d9b741cf040ae13fc.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Ok next question.

Just cut the rudder to shape but I can't find any reference on the drawings I have, to the rudder cross section or the cut away for the hinges ( name )?

@Thunder what did you do?
@allanyed are there any documents that give those dimensions?

thanks Tim

Current Builds :

There are some good references in the Cheerful logs.  I can't get to them right now,  but will dig up something later if you don't beat me to it...

― Jimmy Buffett

17 hours ago, Gregory said:

I think it was one of those things that didn't show up on contemporary line drawings because they were taken for granted.

That seems true of lots of things we build.

Tim

Current Builds :

1 hour ago, oakheart said:

are there any documents that give those dimensions?

Great question. Goodwin has drawings of the ports and hinges with dimensions on page 191.  I will try to post it when I get home.  From a contract.   

OAR PORTS                 To make and hang all such Oar Ports as shown on the Draft Disposition of the Frame or as shall be directed.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

1 hour ago, oakheart said:

Ok next question.

Just cut the rudder to shape but I can't find any reference on the drawings I have, to the rudder cross section or the cut away for the hinges ( name )?

@Thunder what did you do?
@allanyed are there any documents that give those dimensions?

thanks Tim

image.png.cb57d92934736ea73f6d86125d2b7aa3.png

Here is the rudder from G Barlow's Cheerful.   I think the cutouts for the " pintles " can be interpolated fairly easy.

image.png.0b0a298b854897013cae8712598e244c.png

Some lines from the NMM. 

― Jimmy Buffett

33 minutes ago, Gregory said:

I think the cutouts for the " pintles " can be interpolated fairly easy

Hi Gregory

Thanks for that, it will certainly be enough for me to make mine.

Oh dear I seem to have done it again, I was going to line the gun ports, now suddenly I making the rudder. Focus, focus, focus

now I am here I will complete the rudder, pintles and gudgeons.

Thanks for all the help, advice and likes

Tim

Current Builds :

2 hours ago, oakheart said:

now suddenly I making the rudder

It all has to be done sometime and the brain needs a little vacation from time to time. Sometimes it needs a little ego boost (look what I did! type of thing).

The sternpost probably tapered (say 8 inches to 6 inches) and also the rudder (say 6 inches to 4 inches) and the rudder had a rounded leading edge (see shading on drawing).

ZAZ6425LapwingC01.jpg.e159be50cdc78c4cfcb31f786d5780f0.jpg

Then again I might be wrong:

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/media/543/233/l0251.jpg

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/media/544/197/l0418_001.jpg

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/media/543/699/l0330_002.jpg

It seems the only tapering was from top to bottom. Add it to the list of things drawings don't show.

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

This one's interesting, Study of a rudder lying on the shore 1835.

pw6197a.thumb.jpg.a83130f86e49157fe5e660f54822408e.jpg

Craig.

1 hour ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Then again I might be wrong:

Wow Thanks for all the research, the first one looks like it could be  an angled leading edge.

The drawing / painting looks more like a bevel than rounded.

I does look like a flat plank. 

As this is no longer a model of any real cutter, I may use artistic licence here.

Personally I quite like the angled look, so I may just go with that.

Tim

Current Builds :

5 hours ago, Gregory said:

are there any documents that give those dimensions?

Hi Gregory,

Regarding English ships, the only dimensions for the sweep ports that I can find are in Goodwin's The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War, (ISBN 0-87021-016-5,) page 191.  In his drawing the sweep port lid was 10 inches vertically by 12" horizontally and about 3" thick (the thickness of the planking?)  The horseshoe strap was 1.25" wide by 0.5" thick.   

He also has a dimensioned drawing of a ventilation scuttle, the use of which started about 1778.  These were fitted in every other gunport lid on the lower decks until 1789 when they were incorporated into every gun port lid on the lower decks.  One of those things not often seen on models.

Allan

9 hours ago, oakheart said:

Wow Thanks for all the research, the first one looks like it could be  an angled leading edge.

I does look like a flat plank. 

As this is no longer a model of any real cutter, I may use artistic licence here.

Personally I quite like the angled look, so I may just go with that.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Mine had the leading edge angled for a third then the centre portion rounded if that makes sense. Rudder slightly tapers aft but only the lower, wider section. The top section is the same thickness through out. As shown, the rudder does not reach all the way down to the bottom of the keel, believe to try to prevent being unhinged if the ship touched the ground. 

sorry for slow reply.

Adrian

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

1 hour ago, Thunder said:

Mine had the leading edge angled for a third then the centre portion rounded

Thanks Adrian @Thunder so very like the example that Craig @iMustBeCrazy showed us.

Tim

Current Builds :

Here is my first attempt at making a pintle.
I had some 0.8mm dia. copper wire which looks about the right size for the pin, amazingly when hammered flat it is also a good match for the straps.

When I have completed it I will black it with Liver of Sulphur as advised by Allen @allanyed

The parts are 'soft' soldered together with some good old lead based solder I have from years ago.

pintletest1.thumb.jpg.caf9dbf6f13cd46447feddff92f02af7.jpg

When I have decided on the final shape of the rudder I will remake it to suit the profile.

I am assuming the centre of the hinge should fall in the gap between the rudder and the sternpost?

This is fun.

Tim

Current Builds :

14 hours ago, oakheart said:

Hi Tim,

A bit late now, but for the future, the forward edge of the completed rudder was not flat.  If it was flat, the rudder could no be turned very much, if at all.   There is a bearding piece on the forward edge of the rudder that was made of elm and had angles of 30 degrees from about 1650 to 1720.   It was changed to 45 degree angles about 1720 to allow a wider turning arc when the rudder was hard over.   There was a bearding piece on the after edge of the stern post with similar angles.  (Peter Goodwin, The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War, pp 129-30 ISBN 0-87021-016-5)  He also has a chart showing the dimensions.  Also, the rudder tapered, it was not the same thickness at the bottom as at the head.  The taper of the rudder  matches that of the stern post which can be found on the contemporary plans of Speedy 1828 at RMG Collections site.  It appears to taper from about 10 inches thick at the head down to about 6 to 7 inches at the keel.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

A bit late now

Never too late Allan

ruddersideview.thumb.jpg.39d44c14e3fe2d8e8e2b197835bbc4a3.jpg

I have reshaped the leading edge of the rudder, not sure if the pintles work that shape?

rudderedgeview1.thumb.jpg.c225336e379b1025aab1bb1b427504e4.jpg

rudderbottomend.thumb.jpg.262c35a5a69f107c3f351e8d62224cc4.jpg

still work to do on cleaning up and detailing, but it begins to look better thanks to the advice from @allanyed @iMustBeCrazy @druxey @Thunder

rudder edge view.jpg

Current Builds :

That looks pretty good to me!

One small quibble.

Those pintle pins should not stand proud of the leading edge of the rudder .

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

41 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Those pintle pins should not stand proud of the leading edge of the rudder

Thanks Gregory @Gregory I really was not sure about the position. I will adjust the position.

Tim

Current Builds :

The idea is for the rudder to fit almost flush against the stern post..

― Jimmy Buffett

Here is the rudder just balanced in place, now I can see how much I need to move the pintle.

checkinplaceok.thumb.jpg.25827e81a2ccf5847a9183ea628f9e19.jpg

these photos do show warts and all, don't they

Tim

Edited by oakheart

Current Builds :

Just moving the pin into the cut-out should do it.

See druxey's image above. 

― Jimmy Buffett

4 hours ago, oakheart said:

not sure if the pintles work that shape?

The rudder looks great!   The below is from The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War, by Goodwin.   I am sure there were a few variations but this gives the idea on their shape.

Allan

Pintleandgudgeon.JPG.7e058b98cbb8e6346f830f6c46eda531.JPG