USS Constitution by Der Alte Rentner - Model Shipways - 1/76

On 8/17/2024 at 6:26 PM, GGibson said:

Looks great, Peter!  If I am following your query correctly, will the window frames themselves be painted black?  So, you are referring to the "window glass" portion of the window construction?  I'd vote for white, then.  Good contrast, and with the clear film coverage you place on top of that, it will look nicest, IMO.

Awesome work, sir! Carry on! 👍

That's my working plan.  Thanks for casting your vote!  

18 hours ago, CiscoH said:

unrolling your paper template made it a lot clearer for me to understand.  not a smooth wraparound but a changing radius curve.  i begin to get why its so difficult

And the reason the laser cut window frames are virtually useless.  

Since I love difficult things (I am married after all), I can't wait for the next challenge!  

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2024 at 3:51 PM, Geoff Matson said:

Great solution to your problem

We'll see.  Here's the first window.  There is a piece of plexiglass behind the frame, and I'll probably paint the back side white.  

Also, frames will be trimmed flush with sills.

Time consuming work this..

Aug 22 update:  I'm just not happy with this.  My brain keeps nagging at me about creating a vacant space behind the windows, which my brain insists would look even better if it were somehow illuminated.  And Mustafa's point, in post 307 below, about keeping all the parts separate until painted (or stained) is a good one.  The pilasters are glued to the filler block and the window frame is glued to the glass, making finishing work a bit of an issue.  With the nice weather calling me outdoors, and family issues likewise intervening, I may ponder next steps a while longer.  (Procrastination IS my middle name. 😉)

20240820_120839.thumb.jpg.a62a6e343b9a011832f2b57a934da60c.jpg

Edited by Der Alte Rentner
added post post rumination.

Should look spectacular!

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

It looks perfect, Peter. If I were you, I would paint all the pieces before gluing them in place. It would be much easier. Because there are a lot of black and white pieces next to each other and it is very difficult to paint them without smearing the other.

Note: I assume you will paint the model

Edited by mtbediz

9 hours ago, mtbediz said:

It looks perfect, Peter. If I were you, I would paint all the pieces before gluing them in place. It would be much easier. Because there are a lot of black and white pieces next to each other and it is very difficult to paint them without smearing the other.

Note: I assume you will paint the model

My thoughts exactly, assuming I will indeed paint the model.  I'm still stalling on making that decision, but I'm weakening in my resolve to try for a more "natural" finish.   Thank you Mustafa.

In preparation of someday soon beginning my Constitution build, I have begun saving/bookmarking/favoriting (whatever you call it) a whole bunch of Constitution build logs here on MSW and even some on another similar forum website.  I don't, though, recall any of those build logs having Constitutions with natural finishes.  They seem to all have been painted and coppered?  

Peter, do you know of some existing build logs here on MSW that have not been painted?  Would be interested in looking at them and comparing.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GGibson said:

Peter, do you know of some existing build logs here on MSW that have not been painted?  Would be interested in looking at them and comparing.

At least one at MSW, but it's a Constructo kit built by HipExec. 

post-4214-0-21559600-1426718832.jpg

Jon, has shared photos of another model that he has in his collection of Constitution materials as well.  So, there are at least two.

I'm pretty sure that I stumbled upon a natural finish version of the Constellation, but am having a hard time finding the photos.

UnPainted01.jpg.bc503c8e3d5673a1ab1388d7d8f6dd84.jpg

UnPainted02.jpg.87c7cfe70a32bd435ac61459024e68bc.jpg

UnPainted05.jpg.8de8838d1b327d1d021fc89d95c6ef8a.jpg

UnPainted09.jpg.e276ff16c26a69982b0320fac89b0007.jpg

UnPainted10.jpg.67e03a70974a875c2d14309c178ebb14.jpg

Here's the link to HipExec's entry for the photo above.

added link to HipExec's build log

Thanks for the pictures and links, Peter.  I believe I had seen his build log previously, but did not bookmark it.  Thanks for the reminder.

And, in the FWIW category, I prefer the painted hull look... <shrug> 👍

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

I found one more: Mantua 1:98. The kit is designed as natural wood. If I were to build this kit as natural wood, I might substitute woods of different colors to mimic the blacks and whites portions of the real ship.

Jon

430-8047-USS-Constitution-Model-Ship-Kit.jpg

8a0c86bd-a64c-4c37-86da-eadfad1b8934-min.jpg

Edited by JSGerson

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JSGerson said:

I found one more: Mantua 1:98. The kit is designed as natural wood. If I were to build this kit as natural wood, I might substitute woods of different colors to mimic the blacks and whites portions of the real ship.

Jon

Jon, I went to the Mantua UK website and got a slightly higher resolution photo.  

image.thumb.png.60362a6885e65e98288a5c4f930becda.png

To my taste, the copper plating detracts from the appearance. However, this color scheme seems doable with one or two stains, depending on how the spar deck planking looks with a clear finish.  

As usual, you deliver the goods.  

Thanks

Peter

Yours was the higher resolution, thanks.

My Rattlesnake was kit-bashed and made from natural woods following Mr. Hunt's practicum. Various woods were used for different "colors." (Black paint was used in lieu of Ebony wood (its sawdust is toxic)). To think I tried this on my first POB square rigged ship model is scary to me now, but I didn't know better then. I'm still happy how it turn out.

Jon

Posted (edited)

On a completely different topic:

Jon and Geoff, a friend just offered me a partially completed hull of the Armed Virginia Sloop (your first build Geoff?). It includes the Bob Hunt practicum materials - printed along with digital (disks).

Sadly, the rest of the kit seems to have disappeared. However, my friend is continuing to go through his father in-law's stored items, and it may yet turn up.

The gentleman - a veteran of the Navy who was building this, passed away, and his son-in-law would like to find a good home for it. He saw my build log and asked if I was interested in taking the project over. As you both know, it will be years before I get around to doing that. Can either of you suggest how I might go about offering it, free of charge, to anyone at model ship world.com?

I do have a couple of photos of the state of the build.  See below. The first hull seems to be completely in, and the second is about 3/4 of the way done.  

Were I to take it over, I would attempt to scratch build the rest of it. With the experience I'll have under my belt then, I won't need to buy the kit. Plan B would be to buy the kit and save myself some of the busy work.

Thoughts?

1724356715812.thumb.jpg.514c6a7461dcc9e725f15e5a3b15dee5.jpg

1724356636641.thumb.jpg.a1f7a39bd3ee92f5bad4c1222b199899.jpg

20240812_203401(1).thumb.jpg.7ce343b98cbd6079d2ff9880cacd9531.jpg

20240812_203412.thumb.jpg.f0b15eadfc59af37a4828e5d0488fec0.jpg

1724356826462.thumb.jpg.418d4609a22af07ec12288b1f49e0a9d.jpg

Post your offer here on this website. It's where you can sell, buy, donate, and request all kinds of stuff. I found it by using the search feature on the home page with "for sale" in the search item.

Jon