Sea of Galilee boat by Bryan Woods - FINISHED - SE Miller - 1:20

The Galilean boat made it through a day of  2 five year olds a four year old and a 3 year old boy, without sustaining any damage:-) I did see where the wooden washer would slide off the bottom of the mast. They would immediately try to put it on the top, which would make a knot. I placed a wooden peg to prevent from slipping off.

IMG_1550.thumb.jpeg.0985450159139790774a17bab7cf008e.jpeg

Today I decided to try and finish the stand so my focus could be on my Gretel build. I made up the paper clay, which is only toilet paper, Drywall joint compound and PVA glue. A quick thin layer and a few days to dry.

IMG_1548.thumb.jpeg.eaf00fb1032093b74c08516c459e5ef4.jpeg

Current builds: Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin, Peterboro Canoe- Midwest
Back on the shelf: Gretel - Mamoli

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Muscongus bay lobster smack

Your Boat will look cool on the water, I was going to do that for mine but I could not wait to start the Pegasus.  Now I am knee deep into that ship. 

Just wondering if your planning to have someone walking on the water when your done lol  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Base coat of paint applied to Sea of Galilee this morning:-) 

IMG_1565.thumb.jpeg.2b6df84a2089dd28668518333f6aed8b.jpeg

Edited by Bryan Woods

Current builds: Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin, Peterboro Canoe- Midwest

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Yeah Steven, probably not the type waves found in the Sea of Galilee:-)  I had to use  what I was imagining. These are the only waves I’ve ever built:-)

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Second layer of paint applied. I’m wondering on which layer I’m going to mess up on, and set it apart from all others:-)

IMG_1567.thumb.jpeg.7c2dd364bb031d0c5f986fcda29b0675.jpeg

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

I just looked up how deep the Sea of Galilee is - apparently it's 43 metres (200 feet). Not all that deep, which as I understand it means that when it's affected by strong winds it really cuts up rough. Here's a quote I found:

"The Sea of Galilee lies 680 feet below sea level. It is bounded by hills, especially on the east side where they reach 2000 feet high. These heights are a source of cool, dry air.

In contrast, directly around the sea, the climate is semi-tropical with warm, moist air. The large difference in height between surrounding land and the sea causes large temperature and pressure changes. This results in strong winds dropping to the sea, funneling through the hills. 

The Sea of Galilee is small, and these winds may descend directly to the center of the lake with violent results. When the contrasting air masses meet, a storm can arise quickly and without warning. Small boats caught out on the sea are in immediate danger.

The Sea of Galilee is relatively shallow, just 200 feet at its greatest depth. A shallow lake is “whipped up” by wind more rapidly than deep water, where energy is more readily absorbed.

Lake Erie [in the United States] provides somewhat similar to the Sea of Galilee. Erie is more than a hundred times larger, but it has the same 200 feet maximum depth, the shallowest of the Great Lakes. Lake Erie is especially well known as the stormy, moody member of the Great Lake system. It is easily stirred up by west winds to produce violent waves and even the largest fishing boats are put at risk."

Another site says the waves can get up to 10 feet high. So there's nothing wrong with yours . . .

Steven

That’s great information Steven! Thank you for sharing and your time spent. 
I nervously painted white highlights on this morning. I’m satisfied:-) I didn’t spill the white paint all over it:-) 

IMG_1579.thumb.jpeg.22c7a8997da6f6854f173159ee1ea0c4.jpeg

Next time we make it to town, I’m going to get some realistic water to paint over it. I also have to trim around the outsides of it. I’m thinking just basswood strips carved down to match the waters edge.

Edited by Bryan Woods

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Looking good, mate.

I seem to recall reading many years ago that shallow bodies of water have nastier storms because there's no deeper water to modify the effect of the wind - i.e. the effect of the wind goes all the way down and stirs up all the water instead of just the top layer. Something like that, anyhow.

Steven

I really like your color variation from wave tip to trough!  Well done, Bryan!

10 hours ago, Bryan Woods said:

Next time we make it to town, I’m going to get some realistic water to paint over it.

I've recently discovered Woodland Scenics products for water simulation.  Their Water Ripples in particular makes a nice surface layer. 

This morning, I cut and glued a piece of cotton linen, that I had painted earlier. Just to give it a finished look, when the boat was not out to sea:-)

IMG_1582.thumb.jpeg.2fd417dd7172dba47198dfd9fef50738.jpeg

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

The base has been the most challenging build. I never came up with a complete plan until the end. That made me second guess myself the whole way through the build. One dilemma was solved by just making a wooden tray the section of Sea could set in.

IMG_1595.thumb.jpeg.f5d794b09861af480e73e7bd3dda529e.jpeg

I traced the outline of the water’s edge, and cut it out of basswood.

IMG_1600.thumb.jpeg.9873e2dc74602be9a4d66a8a11dec799.jpeg

Then just glued them down on more Basswood strips. After a coat of still water, I just set the Sea in the tray, being careful not to spill any Sea:-)

IMG_1606.thumb.jpeg.d8130f4d2faec0a45db63ae4286959f4.jpeg

IMG_1604.thumb.jpeg.19edc9ecd995d8dc01b589b71e0995af.jpeg

IMG_1607.thumb.jpeg.8c8c5f0ae49bd90d9d07d6695f57f76b.jpeg

Bob, as for Jesus walking on the water… if he was seen in this diorama, one could think he was surfing:-) So it’s a better fit for Matthew 8:23-27 . 

IMG_1609.thumb.jpeg.84549c8f1678c6e02cef0b4735515a53.jpeg

Thank you all for viewing, and especially for the helpful comments, tips and research. I’m calling it finished until she returns to the shipyard for repairs brought on not by bad weather, but by four rowdy grandkids:-)

Edited by Bryan Woods

completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Bryan my man that is so cool. Someday I will try to get to mine. You definitely gave me some great ideas.  Well done.  :cheers:

Congratulations.

Edited by Knocklouder
always typos

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Bryan, congratulations on finishing the Sea of Galilee boat. There shall be four very happy grandkids!

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company.