Question about which Bounty kit to get

Vinnie

It’s been quite a few years since I posted on this site…but I’m back and I’m ready to dive back into some shipbuilding. Just a question I had for the community though…I’m considering getting another (sad story for a build log) Bounty kit. But I’m a bit up in the air about which one to get. At the moment I’m considering either a Mantua or an Amati Bounty kit. So definitely a Bounty kit…just not sure on which brand. As long as it ticks the boxes of being a double planked kit, and the instructions dont totally leave me in the dark when it comes to the rigging, I’m exited. Any input or comments about those brands of kit or any other potential Bounty kits I could order would be welcomed. 😎😁

• 3 months later...

Surprised no one has answered you to date, perhaps Bounty is no longer that popular. Your best bet would be to review builds here before making a decision. One thing i would say, not knowing your level of experience, is that the Bounty hull is not builder friendly.

Having looked quickly for images of both that the Amati version looks more realistic. I have only built one Mantua kit and was not impressed.

Have you considered the Jotika / Caldercraft kit? May be worth a look at. I have this in my stash of kits to build and looks to be a good kit.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Forgot to mention, Keith Julier did do a review of the Amati kit, may be worth getting a copy of that.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

I think the Amati Bounty turns into a great model but be prepared to undertake a LOT of heavy bashing. 

The entire stern galley configuration really needs to be scratch built as the kit supplied soft metal castings simply do not match or fit the fine decorative pieces that are supposed to cover them. I am up to this stage on mine and whilst I think it has turned out pretty good, it has taken months to get it right. Similarly, you will find the overall plans not very good with many wood strips wrongly sized etc. The main wales for instance. 

The pre-cut gun ports also need to be addressed as you will find your guns pointing at an obscene downward angle unless you come up with a plan. I rectified this by completely cutting the top off the gun port, doing away with the horrid metal port lining, and replacing the entire assembly with fine painted wood strips.

I will try to post a few pics here a bit later, (probably should have carried on with the log I started a few years ago here), but in the whole I believe the Amati 1:60 kit will make a great model, just takes a lot of forward thinking to get it that way. There are a few logs out there for this kit and they are helpful, plus I can give you a heads up along the way if you decide to go with this kit. Good luck.

Cheers.

Hi Vinnie.  I built the Amati kit a few years ago and as has been mentioned here there were some challenges to work through.  I found a series on YouTube by Davos (I think this how it’s spelled) ship builder that was a big help.

i have to admit that the finished product was not my greatest achievement but much of that was me not necessarily the kit.

i have built several AL kits and if you are still finding your way it may be a better choice - the trade off is I think Amati material quality is generally a little better.

On 12/14/2023 at 7:50 AM, ubjs said:

Could Occre or Artesania Latina be something?

I like the larger scale (1:45 and 1:48), maybe easier to fix things in the larger scale?

Artesania is definitely out, because it is single planked. The OP said he wanted a double planked kit. 

The Artesania does produce an interesting model though. It is the only open sided model of the Bounty in existence, perhaps the only open sided wooden ship model on the market. But there are many kit issues to overcome, e.g. exposed plywood beams, single planked, etc. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone…I’ve done some thinking…and maybe I’m prepared to challenge myself and try something other than a double planked hull…I’ve been Looking/considering a Constructo 1:50 Bounty…if anyone has any further commentary please let me know…I feel quietly confident about my ability in the hull…its just the rigging that I think I’ll need a lot of help with. So I’m hoping that whatever mode I go with, it will hav thorough rigging instructions :)

Almost all kits have inadequate instructions for rigging. Do you want this book? 

image.png.5fd5925c36549d40be7e30b0a77c8e38.png

It has fairly detailed diagrams for the rigging, and it includes a chart of rope diameters which you will need to translate for your required scale. 

It is $613 on Amazon. I have completed my model and I don't need this book any more. I think $20 + shipping is fair. Inbox me if you want my copy. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Great! That frees you up to choose a kit based on kit quality and not on whether the rigging instructions are adequate or not :)

Regards, Keith

10 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Great! That frees you up to choose a kit based on kit quality

Also consider using the book for the detail work as well as the contemporary high res drawings available on Wiki Commons from RMG to compare with whatever kit you choose.   Plans J2027, 2028 and 2029 for starters.  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:HMAV_Bounty_(1784)  Each is over 40MB, so very clear.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU