Mayflower by Old Rentner - FINISHED - Revell - 1:83 - PLASTIC - 1966 kit

Congrats,

A very beautiful result

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Patrick, I have been looking at your build logs.  I am amazed that you go from bathrooms to Revell kits - you are a magnificent builder, both small and large, and I do wish that I had managed a much better paint job.  I’m too old for a second boat however so I will just look, from time to time, at other experts builds.

Thanks for your kind words,

william

No one's too old for a second boat. You could live to be 100! The only thing you need is some skill and experience, something in no short supply here on MSW. If i were you, i would get a large-scale model of a small boat, like the Bluejacket Shipcrafters Grand Banks Dory or the Skipjack. Both small, uncomplicated models fit for 89-year-old eyes. 

Plus, we are all here to hold your hands and walk you down the road to becoming a master shipwright. You will get better with time, even a short time. You would be truly horrified by my first paint job. I've only been doing this for 5 years, and look at me now! People think my plastic ships are made of wood! Surely if i can do it, you could do it too, perhaps even better than i can. While you might not have decades to perfect the craft, you don't need decades. All you need is enthusiasm, patience, and a steady supply of model ship kits. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

FM.

Thank you for sending all the suggestions.  It was very kind of you to take the trouble.

My painting is not steady enough, unfortunately, and I’m not artistic enough to get worn/weathered finishes.  I did try on spare bits but it looked horrible!  Thank you again for the kit suggestions.

Edited by Old Rentner

• 2 weeks later...

This is a cool way to make a plexiglass case ... as plexiglass cement 'welds' the pieces together, and they can just be lifted off.  This gives me an idea - to make a case where there is a solid back with a thin mirrored surface attached.  Then the clear panels are the front , sides and top - the mirror enabling one to see the OTHER side of the model.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

On 9/24/2023 at 3:57 AM, Old Rentner said:

My painting is not steady enough

It doesn't have to be. Most people who build with wood stain their ships in large swaths, with wide strokes of the brush. I am pretty bad at painting as well, but i manage. 

"I'm not artistic enough" was an excuse I gave for a long time before i made my second model. EVERYONE can get better, even you. I certainly did. Getting realistic weathering is a very simple, uncomplicated matter: basically, you smear a paint that looks like grime onto your model, and that's it. Simple as that. I have some paint recommendations for you. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

The reason your weathering looked horrible, as you put it, was because you had the wrong paints for the job. I am assuming you were using Revell paints. Revell paints are generally of very poor quality and not suitable for weathering. To weather, you need a stain. Revell doesn't give you those. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you Jeff.

One last thought, this ‘Mayflower’ probably actually traveled further than the real ship.  It went, as a kit in its original box, from Nürnberg to Brisbane, to Wellington and finally back to Nürnberg, where it was finally built up over 50 years later by an 89 years old ‘rentner’ and thimble collector.

IMG_5140.thumb.jpeg.c6f4a53e4d145d877e02343a09e55a82.jpeg

Edited by Old Rentner