Nina by SigEp Ziggy - Lindberg - Scale 1/144 - PLASTIC - Triangular sails before refit in Azores

I will start my first build log on this forum with the Nina from Lindberg's Ships of Columbus. I found this kit at hobby lobby on clearance for $8.

phone photos I 081.jpg

This kit was regularly $33 and I could not resist the purchase at 70% off.

I wanted to start with some kind of plans to follow and found these online. I want the basic look to be like this image. I started with the the decks. I did not like the fact that there were three decks. So, I removed the step between second and third decks, and the molded on ladders section. I combined the two decks and cut a piece of styrene to extend the main deck. I worked on the hull halves next. The interior got the ribs removed as they were too many and too small. I also removed the deck locator pins as well as the extractor pin marks. The rudder was removed to add a tiller and a hole was cut for the tiller. The exterior halves got the cannon holes filled in with sprue, the locator pins for the anchors were removed, and some material was removed to allow for railing. The plans show about 40 rings attached to the deck. I will try to make these true to scale, these will be very, very small.

La Nina plans II.jpg

Nina Caravel.jpg

phone photos I 014.jpg

phone photos I 015.jpg

Phone Pics II 006.jpg

Phone Pics II 007.jpg

I have worked a little on the Nina. Mostly preparing for the next steps. I want to plank the decks and the hull. I started to build a plank stripper, however it did not work so well. The edge was not cut straight and will need to be sanded. I painted the edge black and will sand it on a piece of glass. I also started making rings out of wire. I need about 45 rings on eyebolts for this kit.

20190715_160045.jpg

20190715_154105.jpg

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen the kit around........but never bought it.   does it contain all three ships?  looks to be a really neat project ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 7/12/2019 at 1:22 AM, SigEp Ziggy said:

I found this kit at hobby lobby on clearance for $8

I follow
This is 8 $ well spent ;)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

As promised, I have an update!

I reduced copies of the plans, cutout the deck plan and marked where I will make changes.

14dec2019 009.jpg

14dec2019 010.jpg

14dec2019 011.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got the figures I plan to use on the Columbus Ships.  Of course I will have to make them look like 16th century sailors.  This scale makes the main deck 45 feet long and the hull 54 feet.

6feb2020.2 001.jpg

6feb2020 002.jpg