Arizona by SigEp Ziggy - Shapeways, Revell - 1/429 or 1/426 scale - PLASTIC - Arizona Memorial diorama

I decided to start a new build log based on the classic Revell 1/426 USS Arizona. I will be creating a diorama of the USS Arizona as she is now with the Shapeways memorial scale model. I started by removing the decks from their sprue and assembling the basic model. I only need the two hull halves, the two primary decks, the first secondary deck, two turrets and one set of guns. I traced the outline of the inverted hull onto a piece of cardboard. After measuring the length and width, I printed the drawing that I will base my build on, on legal size paper. Now I just need to take my plan to a copy store and have them match the size for me. Once I have these copies, I can match up the model to the drawings.

Arizona Box Art 001.jpg

phone pics III 014.jpg

phone pics III 017.jpg

phone pics III 019.jpg

Should be an interesting build of the memorial. I'm in.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

strange.......I've seen pictures that appears that turret #2 was removed.  two of her turrets {the aft turrets} were removed and rebuilt on Mokapu pennsula and Kahe point,  as pillbox batteries.   the guns from turret #2 were removed,  relined,  and later installed on the U.S.S Nevada,  to be used in the war against Japan.

Battleship Photo Index BB-39 USS ARIZONA

there'a quite a bit of info here.   013923b.jpg.7dd1b4cb6dfb9b78b0cfc4ff67cd7348.jpg

the blast to her bow affected both turrets and the superstructure.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have done some research ahead of time, probably more than a year, but this is the first time the model has seen the light of day in a very long time.

The explosion lifted the armored deck and when it came back down a lot of the ship was no longer there. This explains why the forward mast was bent at such an angle. 

USSArizonaSinkingsimple.png

The port bow section is bowed out. The main deck much lower forward of where the superstructure was, and the keel must be fractured near the bow.

fig38a.jpg

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

A gallant project. May I ask where you acquired the explosion diagram or is that your own work?

Will watch with great interest.

Thanks, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Harley, I got that illustration from Wikipedia, under Arizona Memorial. It is very basic, but it gets the point across. Thank you for showing your interest in my build.

you can also see diagrams in the link I posted as well.  if you need deck plans and such....look here:

Researcher@Large - USS Arizona BB-39 Booklet of General Plans Drawings

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Started removing the molded on railings.

arizona model 001.jpg

The goal is to build the model like a scaled down version of the model in Pearl Harbor.

Arizona model II.jpg

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

I have done some work on the Arizona. I cut the hull as I had marked them, cut up the main forward deck, drilled holes in the nos. 3 and 4 barbettes, cut the bow off, removed the no. 2 barbett from the secondary deck. Also, I did a mock-up of the damaged ship.

usn photos 003.jpg

Arizona mockup 004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on, and receiving parts in the mail for, the Arizona Memorial. 

First I got the moorings from Model Monkey. Then I found a photo I will use for the diorama. And lastly, I started working on the no2 turret, the mud lines on the hull and received the Memorial from Shapeways.

Aug19 phone pics 006.jpg

uss arizona longitude.gif

working arizona memorial 001.jpg

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

Coming along nicely...

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

the added parts look super :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I ordered some 1/400 scale people from and architectural supply company, so there will be visitors on the memorial.

Worked a little on the destruction of the Arizona, I split the sides on the hulls to bow them, and started modifying the rear deck.

arizona wreck 001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have slowly been working on the rear deck and barbette portion of the forward deck.  And, a fellow modeler sent me some photo etch to use on my dock and memorial. Thanks, Denis!

oct2019phonepics 005.jpg

oct2019phonepics 006.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Shane

I have taken some time to look at this log again, I love the way you have done your research, well done, that just goes to show that you are committed to your build.

Also well done on having the courage to purchase a kit then destroy it so you can achieve your desired effect.

Thank you for sharing and showing us your skills on this forum.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Thank you so much Jo, it means a lot to me. 

I have put off modeling for too long and didn't know how much fun it would be to share on forums and make new friends. This is GREAT!

This Arizona kit is very old and like Revell's Constitution many have built it before or many times. I wanted to build this diorama as the USS Arizona is now and as accurately as I can.

I did visit her in 1973, when I was 12, (opps, dating myself) and was deeply affected. So, many years later, I will honor that memory and those who served her.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the likes Gal and Guys

Thank you too Jo,

I have been wanting to work on her and it felt good to post to our forum!

I also worked on the Nina, however was not post worthy but close.

Hope see what everyone is working on soon.

Your Shipmate,

Shane

Edited by SigEp Ziggy
signature