HMS Sphinx by KurtH - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - First POB Model

Time to glue on the outer patterns for the prow, keel, and stern post.

OUTERPROWKEELSTERNPOSTPATTERNS1S.thumb.jpg.332dadb28b16773da0c656d096c2cd23.jpg

To insure proper alignment, locator pegs are provided which fit into the little slots you see in these patterns, and into the corresponding slots in the main patterns.  To get the closest color match with the outer pattern, I filed the char off the ends of these pegs.  I thought that the closer that match is, the fewer coats of white paint will be needed to cover them.   I also decided to simplify this process by gluing all the pegs into the outer patterns, making sure to remove any excess glue, then pressing the assembly face down on a clean flat surface to insure that the ends of the pegs are flush with the outer surface of the pattern.

OUTERKEELPATTERNWPEGS1.thumb.jpg.985874844dc2c5f5339f87e6ae20e531.jpg

This enables me to handle the pattern and the pegs as a single unit and "plug" it into the keel when I assemble it, glue, and clamp it.  It is so nice not to have any shift between the keel and the patterns as the clamps are applied!  Those pegs are great!  Once the glue has set it is just a matter of pressing the apposite pattern into place, allowing the protruding ends of the pegs to insert into their slots, gluing and clamping as before.  The efficacy of the design, the precision of the laser cutting, and the quality of the materials made this a straightforward trouble free process.  The pegs did protrude just a tad proud of the pattern surface, so I filed them down flush with the square end of one of my diamond files.  It was just the right size to file down the end of the peg without disturbing the pattern surface.

Here are the patterns glued in place:

OUTERPATTERNSCOMP1.thumb.jpg.4854e8ac6005b285312ab2987e90d582.jpg

There are modelers on MSW who can cut out and assemble the various components of the stem knee with absolute precision.  I am not one of them, so I appreciate the engraved detail of these patterns!

There is the current state of play:SOP9-27-24.thumb.jpg.ed7095cdc183a69951887e52c915e54c.jpg