I have no experience with this product at all, but if it is a "contact" adhesive as that product is generally understood, it isn't a very good choice for planking because it does what it says: sticks on contact. This doesn't allow for sliding the piece around to position it. The placement has to be perfect and as soon as the two surfaces with the contact cement are touching, they are stuck together pretty much for good. PVA is generally what is used for wood to wood gluing.

If it is similar to DAP Weldwood contact cement  it is a synthetic rubber.

It is for adhering plastic laminate to a base. 

The layer is thick - too thick for scale - and it is prone to oxidizing after a decade or two = brittle and a release of the bond.

"You don't want it."

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

When I was a kid in Berlin, every family had a tube of UHU for all purposes, being it repairs or whatever kids glue together. It's an absolute classic, but I never used it in plastic or wooden ship modeling. It's clear (if it's still the same mixture) and gel like. 
For planking, I use generally white glue for the first layer, where I can use nails for fixing the planks and for the second layer, I use Colle 21 contact glue (Sacrilege for some here :D). You have to be very careful with the application of the Colle 21 CA. It's relatively thin and I spread it on the plank using another plank rest. The good, it only glues on contact, which has to made relatively fast and correct, which means, the planks should be prepared thoroughly.
I guess, UHU would glue the planks well enough, but the thickish gel would lead to residues, being pressed onto the planks surface.

Cheers Rob

Edited by DocRob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

20 minutes ago, DocRob said:

It's clear (if it's still the same mixture) and gel like. 

DAP Weldwood is very thick and amber.  Applied from a tube, I think that the bore of the tip would need to be fairly large and would need strong thumb muscles to extrude it.  I use it to hold sandpaper to a Maple sanding drum.  Mineral spirits will cause it to roll into balls, but I have found no actual solvent to remove it.  So, replacing the sandpaper is a major project. 

Clear and gel sounds like nitrocellulose in acetone - reasonable prise hold strength, but like CA,  leaves a bit to be desired holding against a sheer force.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

Other

This is what the producer says:

UHU | Product page

Everyone in Germany knows this brand UHU and the product (Alleskleber or all purpose glue) and the old advertisement 'Im Falle eines Falles klebt Uhu wirklich Alles' Which means something like In every possible case UHU will glue everything. The stuff was first produced in 1932 as a complete innovation.

I wouldn't use it for wooden ship planking, despite it's glory history ;).

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

8 hours ago, Jaager said:

DAP Weldwood is very thick and amber.  Applied from a tube, I think that the bore of the tip would need to be fairly large and would need strong thumb muscles to extrude it.  I use it to hold sandpaper to a Maple sanding drum.  Mineral spirits will cause it to roll into balls, but I have found no actual solvent to remove it.  So, replacing the sandpaper is a major project. 

Have you ever tried acetone? If memory serves, that stuff is thinned with acetone. 

7 hours ago, RolBerg said:

I did read it in this article, there they say Contact Glue is good for the second planking layer.

https://www.modelerscentral.com/model-ship-building/what-glues-paints-do-i-need-for-a-model-ship/

Hasn't anyone ever told you not to believe everything you read on the internet... especially when it's posted on a merchant's website? :D :D :D 

30 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Have you ever tried acetone? If memory serves, that stuff is thinned with acetone.

I tried about every organic solvent available to civilians.  Several will denature it.  Nothing will wash it off.  I searched the MDF for the solvent in the can.  It seems to be a mixture that you really don't want to know is in it and still be willing to be in the room with.

I seem to remember that rubber is one of those polymers that has no practical solvent.  I remember an old saw about a way to get rich was to find a solvent for Cellophane% - perhaps rubber and synthetic rubber are the same?  Some chains are probably just too long.

% I was born and raised in Richmond where and when the manufacture and sale of packs of lung cancer and COPD was a major industry.  So too was the manufacture of tetraethyl lead.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

Other

16 hours ago, RolBerg said:

Is this a good glue to use for the second layer planking and deck planking?

NEI

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I used to use contact cement to bond balsa wood sheeting to foam core wings back when I raced R/C pylons (quickie races). The contact cement worked 'great', however. These airplanes also didn't have a very long lifespan. They were cheap, fast, disposable airplanes! I still have two elderly 'Scat-Cats', standby leftovers from my racing days, who's wing skins are effectively separating from the foam cores... and they have never even been flown! I wouldn't trust contact cement, at all, for the long haul...  

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH", "Active build!"

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"