Norwegian Sailing Pram, no drawing!

ubjs

Just received a model from Model Shipways, Norwegian Sailing Pram. Since I'm Swedish, I thought it sounded interesting with a Norwegian boat.
I have now checked the contents and there is no drawing!
This is supposed to be a beginner's kit but I'm going to build blind without an option to take measurements???
I am so disappointed, never again a boat from Model Shipways.
Amati, Blue Jacket and even Billing Boats always have drawings in their kits.

With this, I want to warn everyone about these kits. Of course, they have saved the cost of the drawing. A blueprint costs $30 and must be ordered from another company in the United States.
Forget it! I intend to check with the Maritime History Museum in Stockholm.

D

4 minutes ago, ubjs said:

I intend to check with the Maritime History Museum in Stockholm.

The instructions include a link to the source plans upon which the kit is based.

I'm not familiar with the kit contents myself, but are you certain that plans aren't included, or were they just inadvertently omitted from your kit?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

There is a list of everything included in the kit.
Under Plans and instructions is only Instruction manual listed.

So, I was so disappointed. For me, drawing is important. I think Blue Jacket's drawings are very nice.
If you make a kit, you have to make a drawing, right?
Then you might as well insert it into the instruction sheet and just ignore stapling it together and the problem is solved?
Edited by ubjs
edit

Although the kit doesn't include full plans, all the parts are already cut to size, and the plans include numerous drawings as well as measuring strips to ensure proper placement of the thwarts etc. While full plans would certainly be nice, the kit is intended for beginners who are building following the instructions rather than from plans, and the instructions are certainly very detailed. Given the large number of successful build logs, it seems like the kit still builds into a nice model without plans.

Just taking an uneducated guess here, but I'm assuming that, since this is a "beginner kit" model, and the instructions in the manual were, as I recall, pretty well laid out and the materials provided required little changes, the Model Shipways folks thought that a full-size plan sheet was not needed.  

I did note, though, on page 3 of the instruction manual, a small depiction of one page of some detailed plans...

NSP-Drawing.png.925bae8d1714047a62679934d6035c42.png

... with the link to the Simon Watts website where you can purchase a full set of his plans for $30.  

Plans for the Norwegian Sailing Pram - SIMON WATTS WOODWORKING (simonwattsfurniture.com)

If you are so inclined, please start a build log on your NSP, as we'd love to follow along.  Fair winds and following seas... 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

I think the big issue here is Chinese piracy, if these plans were easily available I have little doubt they would be cloned.

That said, there is more than enough information in the instructions to build the model. Add in the numerous build logs and have at it.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts