A new Indefatigable kit?

Blue Ensign

6 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

another 1:64 scale kit out of MarisStella

But MarisStella are not responsible for the design. It's from the same designer behind MarisStella's Ontario and Speedy kits -- we have reviews of both kits in the reviews section. Neither kit has yet been the subject of a build log, probably because both are pretty expensive compared to comparable kits from other manufacturers. Speedy is available from ModelExpo for $700, which is roughly twice the cost of the same subject from Vanguard Models. Ontario is also available from ME for the eye-watering price of $825.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, Theodosius said:

I don't know this brand, but it's a 'funny', äh, 'coincidence', that the last one was Speedy, and now Indy, just two models, where another brand (vanguard models) came out earlier with full plans and research...

The kit appears to be based on a reconstruction that had been around since at least in 2017, when I found it, probably done even earlier.

Edited by Martes

15 hours ago, Martes said:

The kit appears to be based on a reconstruction that had been around since at least in 2017, when I found it, probably done even earlier.

Thank you for pointing that out! So the new Indy is then also a new construction! My respect for everyone who has worked on this!

My first skepticism was just because there seems to bee more and more POF kits are commin, most out of the south asian region, and per coincidence, models where a monography in some way allready exists.

13 hours ago, Martes said:

@The Art of Age of Sail, I was looking for materials about the Indefatigable around 2017 and your reconstruction was almost the first I encountered then, so I clearly remember it.

I think the model in Naval Action/Ultimate Admiral computer games is also based on your project.

Yes, worked with Naval Action to get both Ontario and Indefatigable in the game, they called the Ontario 'The Snow', I believe!? Was/is quite a popular ship at the beginning of the game, not so much when coming up against a Victory later in the game LOL.  

Edited by The Art of Age of Sail

On 12/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, Theodosius said:

I don't know this brand, but it's a 'funny', äh, 'coincidence', that the last one was Speedy, and now Indy, just two models, where another brand (vanguard models) came out earlier with full plans and research...

Don't think there's any conspiracies here, either way. Both developments seem to have been completely independant from each other! 

On 12/21/2023 at 9:48 AM, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

If it is like a number of their other kits, their instructions include only computer generated pictures.   Never actual pictures of the model.  I had to put the one I was working on back on the shelf as it was impossible for me to figure out what goes where.

Yes, you're right!  The ball was dropped a bit when the Ontario kit was in her original release.  The release coinciding with the global pandemic did not help any either!  Version 3.1 is a greatly improved and overhauled version, a number of 'real' builds are on the way and coming very soon to a theater near you ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 10:13 AM, ccoyle said:

But MarisStella are not responsible for the design. It's from the same designer behind MarisStella's Ontario and Speedy kits -- we have reviews of both kits in the reviews section. Neither kit has yet been the subject of a build log, probably because both are pretty expensive compared to comparable kits from other manufacturers. Speedy is available from ModelExpo for $700, which is roughly twice the cost of the same subject from Vanguard Models. Ontario is also available from ME for the eye-watering price of $825.

Hey Chris,

Don't forget  they are both at the much bigger scale of 1/48, and a bit of shopping around may not hurt either!  

Happy New Year!

John Andela

3 hours ago, The Art of Age of Sail said:

Don't forget  they are both at the much bigger scale of 1/48, and a bit of shopping around may not hurt either!

That is true. 1/48 does mean more materials and therefore most cost. The 1/64 scale Indy is pretty large for the average modeler's display needs, and 1/48 will of course take up even more space. That's one reason why I selected a 1/72 scale brigantine for my current project. The admiral is still not fully aware that I have started it. 😏

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

You are right Chris,

As a builder of the 1/64 scale Vanguard' Indy' I can attest that it is a large and heavy model on its building board, and at times moving it around to work on can get quite wearing.  Fully rigged, this model will require a significant display area, and I  don't think I could accommodate a 1:48 scale version.

The link on my original post to  'The art of age of sail' shows  the scale as 1:64?

B.E.

Having built a vanguard model, and having almost finished MarisStella's largest model to date, I can say that the instructions are like night and day. 

Vanguard hold your hand throughout, making even the most complex of their models something that can be achieved with perseverance and patience. MarisStella provide many plans, but drawing them together and planning a build sequence or working out what tool to use for what task is left in many ways to the builder. Both fun to build (if you're happy to invest all the time required for the choice you make), and neither approach is wrong, but I would definitely expect a far steeper learning curve with MarisStella if it's similar to Barque Stefano.

On 1/4/2024 at 4:19 PM, ccoyle said:

That is true. 1/48 does mean more materials and therefore most cost. The 1/64 scale Indy is pretty large for the average modeler's display needs, and 1/48 will of course take up even more space. That's one reason why I selected a 1/72 scale brigantine for my current project. The admiral is still not fully aware that I have started it. 😏

Yeah, you're right Chris. At the scale if 1.64 she'll be plenty big  already, at 1/48 she would need a custom room built for her! 

"The admiral is still not fully aware that I have started it."  -  I assume you're referring to what I refer to as my "Supreme Commander"?  LOL.

21 minutes ago, The Art of Age of Sail said:

I assume you're referring to what I refer to as my "Supreme Commander"?  LOL

That's correct! She knows I have started a new project, but she hasn't let on whether she comprehends exactly what it is. Every time I start something new, she usually comments on my lack of display space -- an issue I choose not to tackle head-on. 😁

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco