St. Roch by Panteg Models - Billing Boats 605 - RCMP Arctic Patrol Boat

Santa has been kind to me , looking forward to making a start on this model of a truly historic vessel.

St. Roch was designated a national historic site of Canada because: she became the first ship to cross from the Pacific to the Atlantic by the North West Passage; she was also the first ship to complete the hazardous journey in both directions.

The Canadian-built St. Roch is valued as an excellent example of Canada’s maritime history. She navigated the Northwest Passage, arriving in Halifax in 1942, after spending two winters frozen in the ice. She was the second ship to make the Passage, and the first to conquer the journey from the Pacific to the Atlantic. In 1944, the refitted St. Roch returned to Vancouver via the more northerly, deep route of the Prince of Wales Strait in eighty-six ice-free days – the first to navigate the Northwest Passage in a single season. Retired in 1948, St. Roch was sent to Halifax via the Panama Canal in 1950, making her the first ship to circumnavigate North America.

Under the command and leadership of Sergeant Henry Larsen (1899-1964) who was first mate and captain for twenty years, the voyages of the St. Roch demonstrated Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic. She extended and maintained Canadian control over its vast northern territories as an all-purpose supply, patrol and transport vessel and governmental representative to service isolated and relatively inaccessible R.C.M.P. detachments by settling disputes and conducting a census of the Inuit. During this time the St. Roch was the only federal presence in the far north. During the Second World War the St. Roch was sent through the North West Passage to protect war industries in the north, specifically a mine in Greenland which was the sole source of cyrolite essential to the production of aluminum. 

The heritage value lies in the original design and the multiple refits that were designed to deal harsh conditions and reflect the changing technologies in marine transportation over the course of her working life. The St. Roch has been restored to her appearance during her epic journeys between 1940-1944 that was a mix of original elements and subsequent refits. Additional value in her material fabric include the spare and well-considered details of her design in terms of the efficiency and economy of her living and working quarters. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

This model is one I think I would like to do in the future.  The legos in the clamps to hold the frame square is great! Looking forward to future updates.

- Eric

In the shipyard: OcCre Palamos

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smack 

Drafting:  Cala Esmeralda, La Belle Poule schooner

Posted (edited)

Very interesting model. I do have a question though:

Are you sure that the planking of the hull was not supposed to be on each half-hull? I am asking this question, because BB is notorious for inventing the half-hull planking and then connecting both halves together. Perhaps, you decided to do otherwise....

Just wondering.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

On 1/5/2024 at 1:21 PM, yvesvidal said:

Very interesting model. I do have a question though:

Are you sure that the planking of the hull was not supposed to be on each half-hull? I am asking this question, because BB is notorious for inventing the half-hull planking and then connecting both halves together. Perhaps, you decided to do otherwise....

Just wondering.

Yves

Hi , my personal choice I prefer to join both sides of the frame before planking.

Looks good so far - I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm in Vancouver and have visited the St. Roch many times. I have a tonne of photos of the reconstructed vessel as she sits in the Vancouver Maritime Museum and I'd be happy to share these with you if you like - not sure how detailed you want to get, but they might be helpful.....PM me if it's something you're interested in.

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

On 1/9/2024 at 8:51 PM, hamilton said:

Looks good so far - I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm in Vancouver and have visited the St. Roch many times. I have a tonne of photos of the reconstructed vessel as she sits in the Vancouver Maritime Museum and I'd be happy to share these with you if you like - not sure how detailed you want to get, but they might be helpful.....PM me if it's something you're interested in.

hamilton

Hi Many thanks I'm I Swansea South Wales UK , please see PM.

Thanks Rich

It will take some finessing, for sure - but if you use a scalpul blade to shave off any ridges between planking strakes and then sand the planks manually (and carefully following the wood grain) along the bulwarks you should be ok - looks good so far to me

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

23 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Your way of approaching the model will make it difficult to sand smooth the hull without damaging the railings. But it can be done, if you are looking for a challenge.

Yves

You make a fair point , every day is a school day! I think with a bit of tape protection I will be ok ( hopefully ! )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, check out David Lester's build log of the st roch he has just started. There is a link to the maritime museum 360 virtual tour. It's great. You can look all over the ship and even has a measuring tool so you can figure actual dimensions of everything. Quite a resource.

I'm just starting the st roch too so I'll will be following along closely. Looks like you've made a great start.

Bill

On 2/13/2024 at 3:22 AM, wmherbert said:

Hi, check out David Lester's build log of the st roch he has just started. There is a link to the maritime museum 360 virtual tour. It's great. You can look all over the ship and even has a measuring tool so you can figure actual dimensions of everything. Quite a resource.

I'm just starting the st roch too so I'll will be following along closely. Looks like you've made a great start.

Bill

Thanks , will do !

Your St. Roch is looking very good. I'm curious about one thing though. When you planked the upper hull at the bow, did you check to see if there was room for the decal with the name of the boat to fit in the recessed part. It looks like you've used the 3mm planking, and to my eye, it looks like there is enough room, but when I tried it I could not create a wide enough gap to accommodate the decal. I ended up using 2mm planks.

Looking very nice.

David

Edited by David Lester

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

On 2/18/2024 at 1:33 PM, David Lester said:

Your St. Roch is looking very good. I'm curious about one thing though. When you planked the upper hull at the bow, did you check to see if there was room for the decal with the name of the boat to fit in the recessed part. It looks like you've used the 3mm planking, and to my eye, it looks like there is enough room, but when I tried it I could not create a wide enough gap to accommodate the decal. I ended up using 2mm planks.

Looking very nice.

David

Hi David , No I don't think the decal will fit in the recess , But from some images I was sent of the original from the museum in Vancouver it appears to overlap ?

9 st roch wales at starboard bow.jpeg

10 st roch - wales, rails & mooring port.jpeg