Mayflower 1620 by rlwhitt - Model Shipways - 1:76

29 minutes ago, LCdr Dave said:

Not to hijack your post, but I’m having a hard time figuring out where the rigging goes in some cases. I also seem to have parts (or lack parts) compared to others. If you don’t mind I might be able to message you separately and you may have some insight. 
cheers,

Dave 

Well since we are working on kits from different brands and there are quite a few differences there might not be much help to be had, but maybe in the rigging plans I have there could be something.  

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Molding Strips and Painting

Tedious step here, painting and applying all the various strips, with stripes on some.  It’s tricky trying to get them aligned and even and I have not gotten it 100‰ right.  One issue IMO is that the upper window seems to be just a tad high, forcing the strips that border the top and bottom of it to be also a bit too high.  I’d suggest anyone building it to consider lowering it a bit, maybe 1/16” or so.  But overall I’m satisfied with the way it’s turned out.

IMG_0184.thumb.jpeg.8bbf46b289f86b75a2e6f3ca5cfcea0f.jpeg

Rick

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Great paint work.

Congrats. 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks guys!  

One comment about paint colors.  As I started sifting through all the pics online of this ship one thing is obvious.  It has had many color schemes over the years.  I think every time it needed a refresh or renovation, they've changed it up some.   Right now the entire ship is painted some kind of yellow occre shade with generally muted panels (brown, etc) between some of the moldings.  In the past most of the outer planking was left natural/stained more like I have it here.  And the waterline treatment has been several different configurations as well.  I've mostly followed the instructions colors which is supposed to be close to the 1956 launch scheme,  with the exception of the blue panel under the main rail, which I think looks better.  That was done later though not precisely the same shade.    

As others have said, in real life Mayflower was an unremarkable merchant ship and most likely would not have shown any fancy colors at all, so all this is probably just sort of artificial glitz to make it look interesting.  

Rick

Your ship looks awesome, nice work on the paint. It's great to see different  looks to the same ship. :cheers:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Looks great! Nice and clean! It sounds as though you painted, rather than stained the brown. I may do the same as I am finding (no surprise) that the wood filler and different woods are taking the stain differently. 
Keep up the inspiring work. 
Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats

Beakhead

This part is quite the project all by itself - there’s a lot to do here.  First we glue on the stem knee:

MS2020-064.thumb.jpg.d9f95074a3e197a04213ca538eafb383.jpg

Next we add the sides.  These are laser cut 1/32” thin parts that are planked.  Before planking they need to be cut to the right size and precise shape.  They are provided quite oversized to account for differences in your build.  As recommended I made card stock tracings and first cut those down basically to size.  You can see from the circled part of this pic how much extra is provided.  I actually ended up cutting only enough off the back end to make the angle right, and cutting most of the length from the front end.  Then use the card patterns to make cuts to the wood part.

MS2020-065.thumb.jpg.91272b3fc753542749895d24951b1f3d.jpg

Then comes planking the outsides and starting some base paint.  Here you can also see the beginnings of notches to fit around the beak head deck and upper wale:

MS2020-066.thumb.jpg.520281d4da5dc77683f4c149247bc766.jpg

Here is one side with finished paint and moldings, glued on

MS2020-067.thumb.jpg.5f8d3a3e75b5144c06b91b946e87633a.jpg

At the front, some scrap bits and moldings will be needed to finish things off:

MS2020-068.thumb.jpg.d0ba20d30c19c78c97fb9ac49ad6b392.jpgMS2020-069.thumb.jpg.52e137ba51250972731746066d8d6bf3.jpg

Next we need floor timbers, which span between the sides at the bottom, and are designed to slot into the stem knee.  However as illustrated by the circles on my build pic, the slots are too low for most.  So I just ended up inserting some filler to bring the bottom of the slots up

MS2020-070.thumb.jpg.a2627884ee8f8f88500910ca52743ae1.jpg

view at the bottom with the floor parts in place, including some knees and side strips:

MS2020-071.thumb.jpg.01eae3679ac169af9a5014f1b2feeb17.jpg

And finally, a view up top with all the stanchions in place, plus a grating, access boards, and a pin rail

MS2020-072.thumb.JPG.488dbf12e22555e52b280c663d5f935a.JPG

Rick

Posted (edited)

Good day,

Dear Rick,

Very clean ,precision  and accurate job done!

Those "access" boards shown on the beackhead, are they kit's idea?

Looks quite unusual, as far as I knew, there used to be a full grating deck, often shown in special form of long strips with wide opened cells ( as I understood for easy passing water in/out in rough seas) instead of shape of gratings which used on decks, for these may be sence to fabricate them from scratch?

and there used to be placed a couple of crew's "seats of ease" , in the corners...  ?

All the best!

Kirill

Some pctrs of Willem Barents replica ship , constructions mentioned above

Screenshot_20240422_063753_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240422_063725_Gallery.jpg

Edited by kirill4

11 hours ago, kirill4 said:

Good day,

Dear Rick,

Very clean ,precision  and accurate job done!

Those "access" boards shown on the beackhead, are they kit's idea?

Looks quite unusual, as far as I knew, there used to be a full grating deck, often shown in special form of long strips with wide opened cells ( as I understood for easy passing water in/out in rough seas) instead of shape of gratings which used on decks, for these may be sence to fabricate them from scratch?

and there used to be placed a couple of crew's "seats of ease" , in the corners...  ?

All the best!

Kirill

Some pctrs of Willem Barents replica ship , constructions mentioned above

Yep, just following the instructions on this part.  It actually described a sailor going from the doors out to the grating.  

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Outboard Details

Finishing up some items on the outside, so that's basically done save for mounting the lower deadeyes to the channels and the anchors (last).   Overall shots from the front and rear showing catheads, chesstrees, channels, port hinges, flower stern decor, and rudder/tiller arm.

One note about the rudder.  The instructions call for the typical way of using brass strips and wire for the pintles and gudgeons, but I have been going against that grain on mine and use thick card stock and tiny dowels instead.  I find this much easier to work with.  If it's painted there's not really a difference in appearance.

Another thing to note that the instructions mention using the plans to cut things like cathead and chesstree pieces from stock.  They are in fact provided laser cut, though oddly only one cathead part!  Luckily there is plenty of extra stock on that sheet to trace and cut another one.

A word about port lid straps/hinges.  I cut thin strips of card stock and glued them to some medium sized black rigging rope with CA to form a "hinge pin", and then used some slightly open tweezers to press fit the card stock down around the rope to make the hinge profile shape.  Finally I cut the rope almost flush to the edge of the strips.  I did this in groups of 4 on one length of rope to get consistent length and placement.  I wish I had taken pics of this process.  Once cut, I CA'd the strip with the "hinge" on the back at the top of the port lid.  Since it's all painted black it looks pretty decent at this scale.

MS2020-073.thumb.jpg.35a5cb4a6385d197b58e0f9cdf8cc3eb.jpg

MS2020-074.thumb.jpg.3b6dccf93cf9064c502c39097b2a56a1.jpg

Edited by rlwhitt

Rick

Posted (edited)

Display Stand

A brief diversion from the build...

Oddly, there's nothing provided in this kit for mounting, so you'll need to provide either a pedestal or cradle type mounting of your own.  I prefer the latter, so I scratched one.  

I started by picking 2 appropriately spaced bulkheads from the plans and cut out the part images, then traced a keel and planking line onto them to get a shape pretty close to the actual.  

MS2020-075.thumb.jpg.d98840c480ce938cbf8643617ef7a3ef.jpg

Then I cut that out and transferred the outline (with a little space to account for felt padding) to some card stock and then sort of came up with a reasonable shape for the rest of the cradle parts.

MS2020-076.thumb.jpg.22f39993322d96b0cd8853599ed6941c.jpg

Then I used that to trace onto some 1/8" basswood sheet, cut them out along with some horizontal spacers and glued it all up.  I've added some felt temporarily, which I'll remove when I get ready to finish/paint.   The felt is some adhesive backed sheet I got at the craft store, 0.99 per sheet that'll last a long time!  Cut, Peel and Stick - nice and easy. 

Finished cradle:

MS2020-077.thumb.jpg.efdbc9f333c78aa8e5bb3a6994b4ccfd.jpg

I'll probably mount that to a baseboard, and while I was at Hobby Lobby found that they have a nice selection of inexpensive pine craft boards, ready to use.  This one was just the right size and was just $7!  So if you don't feel the need for a fancier species of wood, this is a good source if you have one nearby.

MS2020-078.thumb.jpg.147e4c0a9044b02e587473f5993b76cd.jpg

Edited by rlwhitt

Rick

To Rig or Not to Rig

...that is the question.  Actually, it's not normally much of a question for most people, for a subject like this.  Hull only is usually seen only in later subjects where it makes more sense once the admiralty style of modelling became a thing.  Not so much for models like this.  

For that reason, I had originally intended to mast and rig this one, making it probably my only one that I'd fully rig.  As I've alluded to in my prior build logs I don't like doing masts and rigging.  Yes, odd choice of hobby for that predilection, huh?  :)   I've been dreading the job and have decided to be the oddball and make a hull only Mayflower.  But so be it - I'm here to enjoy myself and dread the thought of the next few months of not enjoying the build - so I'll be stubbing the masts and bowsprit and calling it a day, moving on to more interesting projects (for me).   I admire all you guys that enjoy and do so well with the rigging part, and I enjoy looking at them, just not the doing.  

Rick

Posted (edited)

Hi Rick, it's your  circus and your monkey 🐒.  

You can always make it look like it is in dry dock under construction.  I find if I am dreading something  stop go do something else

Then maybe someday come back to it.

What you have done is awesome,  you put a lot of details on this,  looking forward to seeing what you build next.

Bob  M.  :cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder
Typos

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Rick,

Wonderfully executed planking and detailing.  I bet your rigging would be a delight to watch as well, but as it is has been a treat to follow.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Kevels and other Inboard Bits

Moving inboard to some of the items to finish here.  There are 8 "Kevels", which are basically very large cleats for belaying ropes, attached to the stanchions.  On the original Mayflower there were probably only these and railings themselves for securing various rigging ropes, as it would have predated the use of belaying pins.   The kit comes with some pins as well since these exist on the Mayflower II replica.  I suspect that they were used to make managing the ropes a bit easier for the modern sailors of 1957.

As for the Kevels, the kit is supplied with Britannia metal ones, and as with all such items are just so-so, and quite beg to be remade from wood as I have done here.   Here is a picture of the metal exemplar, along with the scratch made ones in various stages.

MS2020-079.thumb.jpg.1d4b44eb1dfb9b8cd319752e1a53ee80.jpg

Left to right we have the metal one, then a simple "V"  made from 1/16" square stock and marked at the point where the horizontal bar will go.  Then the bar is made in layers, starting with a 1/32" x 1/16" strip on the back, with 1/16" square angle cut fillers, followed by another 1/32" thick strip.  Finally, the ends are all trimmed and the overall thickness of the horizontal bar is reduced a bit.  

Here we have some shots of ladders, railings, belfry with a britannia metal bell, and some of the mounted kevels.

MS2020-080.thumb.jpg.1253bb34fd0132a7e233d9f7a5bc07b2.jpg

MS2020-081.thumb.jpg.dc36996431b38db8c6d7c0c3a99b0abd.jpg

And an overall shot of the whole so far, on it's new stand.

MS2020-082.thumb.jpg.f3e6575b9e48d9fa862780c690a3c435.jpg

Rick

Extremely well done!   Looking at the gratings they look "grate"  The battens run fore and aft and there do not appear to be any open holes next to the head ledges or coamings which is often missed in some builds.   Are these supplied with the kit or are they aftermarket or scratch made?  Kudos!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

19 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Extremely well done!   Looking at the gratings they look "grate"  The battens run fore and aft and there do not appear to be any open holes next to the head ledges or coamings which is often missed in some builds.   Are these supplied with the kit or are they aftermarket or scratch made?  Kudos!

Allan

Thanks Allan!  The kit provides grating strip material (sawtooth looking stuff) that you cut into measured pieces and then interlock together. 

Rick

A very beautiful Mayflower. 

Great work 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Yours is a nice, clean build - well executed and attractive.  The result is something I aspire to, and may in future come closer to.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65