Santos Dumont No. 18 Hydroplane 1907 by Greg Davis - Scale 1:16

19 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Nice to see that this interesting project is still going ahead.

John

John -

Thanks for your interest! It will certainly get done, sometimes I just have a problem with jumping around on multiple projects at the same time. Some people call it multitasking, but it more likely lack of focus at times. I had built the Santos-Dumont 14bis (because it looked really interesting) as a winter break from milling wood and sanding frames for my L' Invention model. That was not to take a long time, but then I came upon pictures of the No. 18 Hydroplane and making a model of this machine has moved up high on the to do list. I believe that now I am going to be making fairly regular progress on the hydroplane model. It seems that I've figured out how to construct the pontoon and nacelles. I'm now thinking about how to do the metal work that connects these three parts. The metal work for the engine mount looks to be straightforward. Making a nice steering wheel will take some doing and I have a pretty good conjecture on how the steering would have been rigged. That then leaves the last big piece of work - the V16 Antoinette engine. I have two of the Model Airways Antoinette V8 engine kits that I plan to bash into a V16. From what I have been able to uncover, this is pretty much how the Antoinette V16 actually came about. So this is the basic plan of attack on the hydroplane and then back to L' Invention big time.

Greg

P.S. I may also be trying to finish a few other models that were started in the distant past concurrent with this project ... I hope I don't start anything else ... Is there a part of the MSW forum that helps people keep the number of projects manageable? :) 

I've remade hoop No. 16 to my satisfaction. I tried making shavings, but I didn't like the outcome too much. Then I took some of the 0.3mm material I had made previously and thinned it out even more with a spindle sander. I probably got it well below 0.2mm. At this thinness I was successful wrapping it in layers around the form. I also enlarged the holes in the forms that had been 1/8" to 1/4" - now all 16 hoops (with forms) fit nicely on the 1/4" diameter dowel. Here is a picture of hoops 15 and 16 sitting on the pontoon jig.

Hoops15anbd16.jpg.1eed1201b89ce6c73313fe58f549bdac.jpg

Just a little more work on the jig and I can start attaching the longitudinal stringers that hold all of the hoops together.

Jig is done and the main pontoon is ready for the addition of longitudinal stringers. I added a bunch of hooks that let me place rubber bands over the axial dowel. This keeps the hoops snugly in place / aligned on the jig. I've also waxed the top of each support where the stringers will be attached so that there is less of a chance of getting the structure stuck to the supports. I plan on installing the side stringers first. Because of how the supports were fashioned the stringers will lie on top of each support when being attached to the hoops. Once they are in place, the rubber bands will be removed and the pontoon will be turned 90 degrees so that the top and bottom stringers can be added. Slots have been milled into the bottom of the supports to allow for the stringers to slot into when the pontoon is turned. 

PontoonReadyforStringers.jpg.ea72864fbfb5d9a8d71a3f732cc22450.jpg

Time to mill some wood!

do the extreme ends need to be tapered like staves on a barrel?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

1 hour ago, AON said:

It looks like they end at a small disk.

sim_scientific-american_1907-10-19_97_16c.png.6e3c1310c36890e592daa17810c8adf8.png

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

I imagined more of them.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

13 hours ago, AON said:

I'm not sure how the extreme ends of the pontoons and nacelles were finished. I think that in the picture that Craig shows above, the four stringers are being held in position by an external band. I can't tell if the band / hoop is wood or metal. I also have wondered if this fastener is temporary or if it is permanent. Eventually I concluded that it is temporary. When looking at a pictures of the finished pontoon it doesn't appear as a bump under the covering. Clearly, the finished pontoon comes to a fine pointed end; one that is strong enough to support a metal collar used for rigging the boat. It is doubtful to me that the stringers would be shaped to such a point, but perhaps there is additional wood attached / interfaced with the stringers, such as a solid wooden cone. Currently, I have been planning on introducing something along these lines for the ends of the pontoon / nacelles. I know that it would be purely conjectural in nature and if more historical information was located it could be modified to match without too much difficulty. 

image.png.0ce5ab03cf45f6d7d019b49f641cdb52.png

Related, here's a picture of the pontoon construction before the band was connected to the structure. Henrique Lins de Barros shared this picture with me, it is part of his personal collection and is one that I have not seen using internet searches. If I interpret Alan's last comment correctly, I agree that this is a machine with a bit if a fragile structure! But Santos-Dumont had a lot of experience building skeletal frames for his machines that were minimal yet strong enough for the task at hand. I also imagine that the covering together with the inflation of such made a pretty strong machine and helped define the pontoons envelope. On the other hand, the wooden structure needed to be strong enough to hold the engine, propeller, etc. in place! 

image.png.e92a11523989e8b57189ae3c61f4932c.png

This enlargement might help.

SD 18-cleargc.zip

Craig.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Another enlargement:

Santos_Dumont_N-18g.zip

It looks like the front foil (and I think the back) had suspension:

Santos_Dumont_N-18gc2.jpg.9886105347b4277c58ab51fd3e2f9605.jpg

Craig.

17 hours ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Another enlargement:

Santos_Dumont_N-18g.zip 4.81 MB · 2 downloads

It looks like the front foil (and I think the back) had suspension:

Santos_Dumont_N-18gc2.jpg.9886105347b4277c58ab51fd3e2f9605.jpg

This is so helpful!

Yes, there is suspension for both hydrofoils. I sometimes have an orientation problem on how they work and need to remind myself that it is the top brackets that are connected to the hydrofoil support post, and this is what moves to stretch the bungie cord suspension. 

I've attached all four stringers to the pontoon hoops and released the whole structure from the jig.

PontoonStringersAttached.jpg.6eece51e2633a13079a6244ea5c029f3.jpgSideStringersBeingAttachedFore.jpg.d5b92d6f377f01e7d88c7ac8d405c859.jpg

Before I remove the solid discs inside the hoops I plan to drill holes for 'bolts' that connect the stringers and hoop, as well as for the support cross-wires. I suspect the cross-wires are actually bicycle spokes so that they could be tensioned.

large-dumont1.jpg.b086258383b363a048d919bbd7578a04.jpg

2 hours ago, Greg Davis said:

I suspect the cross-wires are actually bicycle spokes so that they could be tensioned.

I suspect all the wires came off a roll of bicycle spoke wire, the hoops were essentially wooden bicycle rims and the tubing was bicycle frame tubing either flattened at the ends or rolled into an oval for streamlining.

Craig.

Today I cut out the alignment dowel and the hoop forms. Removing the solid disks required making three or four radial cuts from the dowel hole to the hoop. Once the cuts were made, I cut remove each sector of the disc in turn. I think that there were only two disks that easily came out whole. So here is where the project is now:

PontoonHoopsandStringers.jpg.1d9bd4d66f9ffae3942ed43cc9be57d3.jpg

Next will be to add some metal fasteners thru the stringers and into the hoops. The wire cross braces will then follow. Holes have been drilled for these details already.

Edited by Greg Davis

I reminds me of my youth and balsa model airplane kits. All very interesting Greg.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

All of the cross braces are in place. A nose cone has been shaped as well - I may try to make this a little more pointed later.

NoseCone.jpg.0521998f9b73548ce977e0df7ec5abd9.jpg

It's now a little later. After looking more at the above picture, I really started to feel the nose was too blunt. So with a sanding stick back in my hand, I've tried to make the transition more smooth. I'm good with this (for now)!

NoseConeALittleLater.jpg.9b5efaef697fab9e905c00431a88cc71.jpg

9 minutes ago, Greg Davis said:

I'm good with this (for now)!

I think it's fine, it looks like the pointy bit is a metal cap with flanges for the wires.

Santos_Dumont_N-18gc2.jpg

Overall I think your model looks a little too good, better than the original.

Craig.