Fridericiana Alexandrina Navis, 1st century Roman Danube River boat

This might be a long shot, but has anyone bought this model of the Fridericiana Alexandrina Navis, a reconstructed 1st century Roman boat used on the Danube River?  The Friedrich-Alexander-Universität
Erlangen-Nürnberg built and sailed this boat in 2016 and they now sell a kit of it:

Kit - Roman boat of the FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg (fau-shop.de)

I'd prefer to just get the plans and any other documentation that comes with the kit as the kit materials appear to be plywood and I wouldn't build a model from that.

Just thought I would check here to see if anyone's got any experience with this.  The subject is very interesting!

Dan

Interesting, but the price is very low.

I wonder what you get for that price.

The professional kit producers for that price give you only barely a very beginner kit...

In anycase, in another page they write that ropes and sail are absent in the kit.

Done:          Venetian Polacre http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7290-venetian-polacre-by-cristiano-sec-xviii-from-original-drawings/

Halifax  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/844-halifax/

Ranger  https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2175-ranger-revenue-cutter-by-corel/   

HM Bark Endeavour (Corel kit heavily kitbashed) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/125-hmbark-endeavour-corel-kit-bashed/                                              

Venetian Galleon (from scratch) - Pirate Junk - Sicilian Speronara (from scratch)

On the shelf (still packed):     Artesania Le Hussard....

Hi Dan,

that`s what I found on this subject:

https://www.fau.de/2016/12/news/rudern-wie-die-roemer-fau-baut-roemisches-boot-in-originalgroesse/#collapse_0

There`re plans for a reconstruction on that site, but unfortunately it`s in two planes only. Top view and longitudinal section.

Neither cross sections nor side view.. You may send an inquiry to University of Erlangen-Nuremberg to obtain the full set of drawings.

It`s their intellectual property, so I don`t know if they`ll share it. Just try and hope for the best.

Michael

Thanks!

I sent an email off to Herr Doktor Dreyer and he answered me.  They only sell the kit, not the plans.  He didn't give me any details.  I suspect you're right and the kit is very basic.  I might still order one to see what shows up.  I'd really rather have a good set of plans because I would never build such a model from plywood.

Dan

Posted (edited)

Dan,

I searched for publications by Roland Bockius. He`s the author of the reconstructions of the two roman river patrol boats, whose wrecks were found at Oberstimm in Bavaria.

That`s what I found:

https://www.amazon.de/römerzeitlichen-Schiffsfunde-Monographien-Römisch-Germanischen-Zentralmuseums/dp/3884670689/ref=sr_1_12?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.k6BzCbN41DKFxfRzj5Hz5HcoC8R2009PxNMEvWyxV9-irNnNKPwE8ME6-5niUsuhMnCzFy4ClbnCumZUKfjr03hH5GVgsQzq-YNDzIYKBVQE1aChPAJGale0Qn6eT5R7Iq3fQzP4dk1Wz1CUEO4eRK4iLfrfSPgACsiT1UqbsY9BgOCrgLPGo0B03WRw-B_R.84mV01TvMHxskQkfsw_GH_sjzdusJQvFZZbOgYWzAXU&dib_tag=se&qid=1709759060&refinements=p_27:Ronald+Bockius&s=books&sr=1-12&language=de_DE&currency=EUR

The book is currently unavailable. Perhaps out of print. I saw that book on sites that sell used books, too. Not available, either. They mention folded sheets (probably plans).

I don`t have a clue how to get that particular book :(

Michael

Edited by bricklayer

On 3/5/2024 at 6:02 AM, dcicero said:

The subject is very interesting!

It is indeed.

Dan, here's a few more clues:

https://www.arbeitskreis-historischer-schiffbau.de/mitglieder/modelle/roemerschiff-victoria/

https://roemerschiffe.de/victoria/

img-2.jpg

Manching_R%C3%B6merschiffe.jpg

KMM_-_R%C3%B6merschiffe_8.jpg

DSC09018-scaled.jpg

Looking at the last shot I see the midships moulds look to be arcs and the other moulds use the same arc rotated.

Taking the above and adding it to This:

Skizze_Roemerschiff_Ronald-Bockius.jpg

Gives:

RoemerschiffVictoriaCAD01.PNG.9aaa4967fa5d1797dc0cdd901e6a6f79.PNG

RoemerschiffVictoriaCAD02.PNG.ef5d6b912b5ba7cdf958de09357f3489.PNG

Certainly not 100% right but perhaps 90%? It doesn't include the bow or stern either.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

On 3/6/2024 at 9:26 PM, dcicero said:

I might still order one to see what shows up.  I'd really rather have a good set of plans because I would never build such a model from plywood.

What with the epidemic of greed which defines the current era,  there is a high probability that any plans would rival the kit in how much is the cost.

If you have the materials and facilities to fabricate the model from its plans, the parts of the kit itself can be used as 3D plans for to fabricate a total replacement model using appropriate species of wood.

Just a suggestion.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Posted (edited)

On 3/7/2024 at 12:06 PM, bricklayer said:

The book is currently unavailable

It is available from various used book sellers but isn't cheap.  About $170.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Thank you so much for that reference from the University of Chicago!

The university is easy to get to from where I live.  (It's near the Museum of Science and Industry too, where you can see the U-505.  I never miss an opportunity to do that.)  I'll see if I can get it through inter-library loan.  My local library is great about getting books like that and, if there are plans for the boats, that might be all I need.

And getting the kit to use the parts are templates is also a good idea.  The kit is at 1:20 scale, which makes a model about 30 inches long.  That's a big model.  I think I would prefer one at something like 1:48, so plans are the way to go and templates would be useful too because they could be scaled and reproduced.

Thanks to everyone for responding!  I did a presentation at my local ship model club last week about these boats, their use and the Danubian Limes they protected.   I've attached a copy for anyone interested.

Dan

Roman Boats on the Danube.pdf

Dan,

that`s a beautiful presentation. I like the arrangement of images and text. 

And I like your choice of colours of the background that images and text are embedded in.

If you manage to find a complete and reliable set of plans then your scale build will become a proper one.

You already found many sources that will guide you along the build.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Quick update on what has kind of turned into a project.  (I was just interested in this before, but now things are moving along.)

First, Interlibrary Loan was able to get me a copy of the Roland Bockius book.  Wow.  Just ... wow.  Thanks for that recommendation!  It is incredibly detailed (and in German, which means I can't read it) and it includes seven sheets of plans.  I took those over to my local copy shop and made myself a set of plans.  (By the way, I know the University of Chicago -- which is very close to me -- has a copy, but the copy I got was from Emory University, which is in Atlanta, GA, quite a long way from me.  Hard to understand how these things work, but just glad it did.)

And, second, I heard back from EGEA about the model.  The price is 96.99 Euros (the kit plus shipping from Germany to the US) which is $104 today, not unreasonable at all.  Since they don't seem to take any kind of electronic transfer like Zelle or PayPal or Venmo, I'll have to find some other way to do it, but that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Dan,

I recently used Google translator to translate russian paper prints to german.

I scanned page by page with a fladbed-scanner, saved the files as images (i think it was *.png).

Then I uploaded the image files into Google translator  and chose german as target language.

The translator detects text components of the images and translates them into chosen language.

Some sequences are translated smoothly, others are rugged.

There`s probably better online translators than the Google one.

Scanning pages or sheets is the most tedious work prior to translation.

Just try and find out yourself if it`s worth the effort.

Good to hear that your project advances.

Michael