Soldering Success.... Finally!

Hope this post isn't a jinx, but... after trying to learn an efficient way for me to do the little soldering I need for these model ships, and being terrible at many different attempts and methods, I think... I hope.... that I have found a method and combination of materials that have (so far) been working very well for me.

Having no previous history in soldering before my venture into model shipbuilding a few years ago, I have been a complete novice at this, and have read through multiple "how-to" websites and videos on recommendations for everything from equipment to technique.  I have tried resistance soldering, silver soldering, purchased various setups and tools, and nothing has really been working well for this old man!

Had to share the fact that I think I've finally hit the right combination of equipment and technique.  I am using a Weller WE1010 soldering station with soldering iron.  After some good swipes with some sandpaper at the solder spot to clean and prep it, I am using Nokorode Regular Paste Flux and applying just little dabs on my small brass rods and brass strips (all the materials I've needed to solder so far) and touching just a bit of Alpha Fry 4 oz. 60/40 rosin core solder on the location, and... boom... success!  May be trivial to many, but had to share! 👍

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Congratulations 👏

Soldering requires lots of practice as well as technique and the right equipment. Can’t wait to see your success displayed on your bluenose. 

I’m sure we all struggle to get it right and continue relearning as we go. I know I do… 😆

John

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat