Flying Cloud 1851 by hof00 - Mamoli - 1/96 - American clipper

13 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

She's moving along nicely.  You've overcome some real issues with the alignment of the bulkheads....you've done well.

Faring out the bulkheads will be fun and the blocking too.

Following with interest.

Rob

Thanks for that Rob.

The hull "Skeleton" is not too bad.

Yup, fairing the Bulkheads will be interesting, I believe slow.... 🙂

Had a play with the Decking material today and have decided on a four Butt Shift. I intend to start this tomorrow with the Main Deck but I will only be planking about 1/3 of the Deck from the center out each side. This will leave enough room for me to pin around the perimeter before fairing the Bulkheads/Planking the Hull and trimming off the Bulkhead extensions once the Hull is Planked.

That's the plan anyway....

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

12 hours ago, hof00 said:

before fairing the Bulkheads

I'm still not sure how to properly fair the bulkheads. I take my time and keep checking with a batten but I always end up with some problems once I start planking especially on the bulkheads near the bow. Good luck, Harry!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

11 hours ago, BobG said:

I'm still not sure how to properly fair the bulkheads. I take my time and keep checking with a batten but I always end up with some problems once I start planking especially on the bulkheads near the bow. Good luck, Harry!

Hi Chap,

Yup, Fairing the Bulkheads something I am not an "Expert" at either.

I will make myself a nice sanding block and affix sandpaper to it, I might try Aluminum Oxide this time around as it does not clog.

I'll be sure to really take my time, the good thing about Clippers, Midships don't need too much fairing, more Bow/Stern.

I'll get some more Deck Planking down tomorrow before I think about attaching the False Decks prior to Fairing.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

11 hours ago, hof00 said:

I'll get some more Deck Planking down tomorrow before I think about attaching the False Decks prior to Fairing.

What did you decide on the butt shift pattern for the deck planking?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, BobG said:

What did you decide on the butt shift pattern for the deck planking?

Hi Chap,

I have used a Four Butt Shift. (This is probably a "Continental" pattern that I used on the Cutty Sark, as described by Mr. Longridge.)

The Shift is as follows:

5 - 2 - 4 -1 - 3

Working outwards, each side from the King Plank 

The longest Plank, "5" is 60.0mm (Each # is a 12.0mm increment.)

I don't know if this "Shift" was ever used on American Clippers, but I find the pattern "Interesting" to say the least.... 🙂

(It is also quite time consuming.)

I have had a good couple of days now working on the Main Deck which I hope to complete tomorrow, (As far as I want to go, that is, being mindful that I have to "Pin" the False Deck to Bulwarks and Bulwark extensions have to be trimmed off "Post" Planking the Hull. At this stage Deck Planking is looking to be about 2/3 the width of the Hull.)

I'll hopefully get some photos tomorrow.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Deck Planking has reached a point that I can no longer continue this task until the Hull is planked. (Otherwise, I'll be "Painting myself into a corner." 🙂)

Kit supplied Tanganika, not all that good, some material is very "Rough" and I do not think that there is enough material to Plank all three Decks.

I found some Billings Tanganika, (BL 1024), in my stock so have employed this as well. (You can see the random color variations; I think it looks not too bad.)

Caulking is by way of a 6B pencil, and all attached with dilute PVA.

I'm not too keen on sanding the Tanganika but I just think that I may have to, once the Decks are complete of course.

I will tidy up around the hole where the Main House will sit.

I guess that it will very soon be time to affix the Decks and start Fairing the Bulkheads.... I will have a think on the best approach to this.

Cheers.... HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0742.jpg

DSC_0743.jpg

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0747.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Decking is coming along nicely.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Great planking, and you're thinking ahead.  Then there's another thing to think about, and that is the thickness of the bulwarks (extensions of the bulkheads) that stick above the deck.  Many have planked around these, only to realize later that they are 'too fat' below the gunwale and don't appear correct.  Thinning them then leaves a rectangular anomaly at the base, flush with good decking (which may also get marred when flush cutting).  Some will taper the projections from top to bottom to leave decking intact - but that is a compromise.

The desired thickness can be determined at this stage and trimmed.  Of course, they will be more delicate when applying planking above deck level - so care then is needed.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Decking is coming along nicely.

Rob

14 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Great planking, and you're thinking ahead.  Then there's another thing to think about, and that is the thickness of the bulwarks (extensions of the bulkheads) that stick above the deck.  Many have planked around these, only to realize later that they are 'too fat' below the gunwale and don't appear correct.  Thinning them then leaves a rectangular anomaly at the base, flush with good decking (which may also get marred when flush cutting).  Some will taper the projections from top to bottom to leave decking intact - but that is a compromise.

The desired thickness can be determined at this stage and trimmed.  Of course, they will be more delicate when applying planking above deck level - so care then is needed.

Thanks Rob and Johnny,

The more I look, the more things I see that need attention, today's efforts included lining the edges of the Poop Deck and discovering that another Bulkhead lacked symmetry, I fixed these, but I have found yet another Bulkhead that need some attention...🙂

I am also considering edge treatment on the Focsal Deck as well. 

I am now reasonably happy with the Main and Poop Decks.

Johnny, I hear you regarding the Bulwark thickness, the Bulwarks are 2.5mm thick O/A, outside Planking: 1.5 + 0.5mm, inside Planking:0.5mm. The Bulwark Main Rail is 4.0m wide. I have left the Deck Planking where it is to facilitate "Flush" trimming of the extensions post 1st cover Hull Planking.

The advice is appreciated regardless thank you.

Thats' me for the day.... 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Indeed...if you want to be accurate, you will need to reduce the framing of the bulwarks considerably.   I typically assume...builders of model kits are going to adhere to the kit limitations on design and accuracy.

At that scale the deck planking also appears too large.  The strakes appear too wide...over a foot at scale.  However, this is not any kind of a deal breaker(sorry to be a nit-picker).

Thus far you have Abely corrected internal kit errors, and I suspect you will be called upon to do so in the future.   I'm not unfamiliar with having to *Rip-out* entire construction elements...because of a scale or completely inaccurate construction mistake.

Please do not let my overly critical critique hinder your wonderful progress.  I have been building clipper ships for over 52 years and any experience I may have picked up...can tend to be misinterpreted as me being a *Know-it-all*.   My honest desire is to help you (If I can) , build the most accurate model your skills permit.  You're doing wonderful.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

11 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Indeed...if you want to be accurate, you will need to reduce the framing of the bulwarks considerably.   I typically assume...builders of model kits are going to adhere to the kit limitations on design and accuracy.

At that scale the deck planking also appears too large.  The strakes appear too wide...over a foot at scale.  However, this is not any kind of a deal breaker(sorry to be a nit-picker).

Thus far you have Abely corrected internal kit errors, and I suspect you will be called upon to do so in the future.   I'm not unfamiliar with having to *Rip-out* entire construction elements...because of a scale or completely inaccurate construction mistake.

Please do not let my overly critical critique hinder your wonderful progress.  I have been building clipper ships for over 52 years and any experience I may have picked up...can tend to be misinterpreted as me being a *Know-it-all*.   My honest desire is to help you (If I can) , build the most accurate model your skills permit.  You're doing wonderful.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for your input and ongoing interest in my efforts thus far.

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments and realize that things might be well overscale.

I do think that there will be many more "Issues" that I will discover further down the line.🙂

I have had a quick look at some of your models and I am in awe.

I completed my 1st Clipper, Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark, (On this site), in 2013 after 6 1/2 years of weekend work. It came out o.k. I think, but the thought was that I can perhaps do better. (Now that I am pretty much retired, I can devote much more time to modelling.)

So, in conclusion, I do not feel that you are "Nit Picking," far from it, I value the input and aways prefer that people give me constructive criticism, maybe a paradigm shift? Always a good thing. 

I also value your knowledge and experience that you bring to the table.

Please continue to "Critique" my efforts, this is very welcome.

I do have a question for you, its' a little way off, keeping an eye to the future, do you think Serving Shrouds, Etc. is appropriate at this scale?

If so, what thickness of material would be appropriate for Serving? 

My thought is that normal sewing thread would be too "Heavy.'

Thoughts?

Kind Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

12 hours ago, hof00 said:

I do have a question for you, its' a little way off, keeping an eye to the future, do you think Serving Shrouds, Etc. is appropriate at this scale?

If so, what thickness of material would be appropriate for Serving? 

My thought is that normal sewing thread would be too "Heavy.'

I'm glad I'm not become a pest.   At this scale serving will not serve you well. HeeHee.  You will be attempting to cram as much detail into this model...do not try to be the purist....A little can go a long way...and more can actually destroy...because at this scale it all tends to be waaay out of scale.  And if you managed to keep it in scale the detail is too small to be really appreciated.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

11 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

I'm glad I'm not become a pest.   At this scale serving will not serve you well. HeeHee.  You will be attempting to cram as much detail into this model...do not try to be the purist....A little can go a long way...and more can actually destroy...because at this scale it all tends to be waaay out of scale.  And if you managed to keep it in scale the detail is too small to be really appreciated.

Rob

11 hours ago, Rick310 said:

Good advice Rob!

Flying Cloud is coming along well!

Rick

Thanks, Rob/Rick,

It will be good not to worry about Serving.

Having a break from the Hull/Deck today, I decided to make myself a Jig for replacement Cabin Doors Frames. I don't like the plastic offerings.

I guess we'll see how that goes....  🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

While I await the arrival of my new Nail Inserting device, (Lost somewhere within the NZ Postal system), I decided to have a go at making my own Deck House Doors.

I first tried with 1.0 X 1.0mm Strip assembled around a "Plug." This proved very frustrating and a very poor result.

I thought about the "Plug" a little more and decided to assemble a "Billet?" around a wooden Plug. This worked a lot better and once assembled the Doors could be individually sawn off the Billet.

One problem with my first "Billet" was that the Grain was running lengthwise resulting in very, very delicate Door Frames.

I assembled a new "Billet" this time with all "Billet" components, Grain running Widthwise.

The initial couple of Door Frames that I cut off the "Billet" were much improved and easily handled, (And filed), without the Frames crumbling... 🙂

1.0mm Mahogany Sheet was utilized rather than Walnut as the Grain is a little more porous for Glue penetration reasons.

I can now also choose some nicely contrasting wood for the bottom panel of the Door.

(The Frames are supposed to be painted white, I really did not want to mask these up and the less plastic the better!! 🙂)

I took some photos of the Door Frames next to the Kit offerings.

O/A dimensions of the Door Frames, 7.0 X 17.5mm

I'm sure that this method is not a new idea, but I thought to share regardless.

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0748.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

I applaud your decision not to use the plastic windows.  Wood always seems to look better, IMHO, even if it may look a bit over scale.  Interesting approach to making windows so they are all the same.  I've never used this method but it looks like you got some decent results.  Next time you might want to consider making the window mullions a bit thinner.  Carry on and keep moving forward.  Modeling sometimes is just a series of issues that must be resolved.  In the end, you'll end up with a model that you can be proud of; which will lead to the next model, and the next, etc. etc.  Carry on and keep up the good work.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project:  Flying Fish restart - Model Shipways 1/96

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

52 minutes ago, Wawona59 said:

I applaud your decision not to use the plastic windows.  Wood always seems to look better, IMHO, even if it may look a bit over scale.  Interesting approach to making windows so they are all the same.  I've never used this method but it looks like you got some decent results.  Next time you might want to consider making the window mullions a bit thinner.  Carry on and keep moving forward.  Modeling sometimes is just a series of issues that must be resolved.  In the end, you'll end up with a model that you can be proud of; which will lead to the next model, and the next, etc. etc.  Carry on and keep up the good work.

Thanks John!!

The Door Frames, Rail/Stiles are 1.0mm thick as measured off the plastic kit-supplied Doors. (You can imagine my disappointment to discover these Doors, (Porta), were plastic not Metal as described in the parts listing.... ☹️)

The Mullions are pretty much the same, I do get what you are saying maybe 0.3mm different in section? I'll probably end up filing a slight Bevel on these. (I only need eight Doors that need to be 1.0mm thick so I should have a few "Spares" at my disposal. 🙂

Kit supplied Windows are 24 X Metal castings? The Frames/Mullions are 1.0mm in section all round. (I am thinking if I should make replacements for these as well, maybe....)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

5 hours ago, Rick310 said:

On my Flying Fish build, I’m trying to make as many of the parts as possible, vs using the parts supplied with the kit.  I think anything you can make will be much better and you will be much happier with the results.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

I agree 100% with that!! 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro