Niagara by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Worth much more than a "Like This". The colours are fantastic - black, red and contrasting naturals. It gives the ship a look of purpose both as sailing vessel and a ship of war. Great work!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 5 weeks later...

Are you going to make any sails? I'm starting this one next week and would love a few set sails and furled sails. I bought my wife a nice sewing machine for Christmas and would love to put her to work on some sails.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Hey there JBITW, I've taken a little break from my builds. I think furled sails would look nice and not take away from the hull as the main point of interest and still show the fine lines of the ship. I'll start again on this build later in the year, good luck with your build.

Edited by greatgalleons

Superb craftsmanship.  I like the way you rigged the guns.  Have you ever visited the ship in Erie and seen the museum ?

Here's a short video I took last year.:

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

greatgalleons: The deck om Niagara is beautiful. I'm trying to find a legitimate scenario in which some topsails might be set with the lowers furled.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

In  conditions where a vessel would come into a deep trough, the lowers courses would have no wind in the sails . When  the vessel rose on the next wave crest the sails would explosively fill with wind. A very shaking experience.

S.os

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Two questions. The style of the bearding line changes from stem/stern posts and mid-ship. How do you define where it should change, and at what rate should it change?

Why not use balsa wood for the filler blocks? It's so much easier to manipulate.

In Dry Dock:

To me it looks like you put the pins in After gluing. What am I missing? Were the pins installed while the glue was still wet? What is the purpose of the pins if everything is flat and weighed down?

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Greatgalleons, I notice the base the model is secured to seems small. Are you going to make a case for the model ?

If so I guess you'll attach the model to a bigger base.

S.os

Thanks

S.O.S.

How did you get the pins to bend without snapping? Did you heat them up or something?

Brian

In Dry Dock:

I'll try another brand, thanks

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Wow! My kit is not nearly so good as yours. Like yours, my center keel is one piece, but I'm having a devil of a time with the bulkheads. I traced the reference lines on the keel and the bulkheads, but if I use them, some of the bulkheads are up to 3/16" above the center keel, and the deck would kill my little sailors for all the cracks in the side walk. If I tap them down so it's all smooth and follows the contour, the bulkheads go well beyond my bearding line. I'm guessing that would be preferable, and I should file down the bulkheads so they line up with the bearding line as well?

I've had to open some "slots" for the bulkheads up to 3/64" and of course I'm not that good with the file so I have to be very careful with keeping them square. :(

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Hi Brian, I would definitely make sure the tops of the bulkheads at the deck are all nice and level to each other, you can add to or take away some wood to the hull areas of the frames to ensure the fairness of the hull for planking. It takes a little extra time but is well worth it. You'll notice on page 3 of this log the last photo shows bulkhead letter N at the deck is a different color as a result of me adding wood to it so the deck planking would not have a dip at that area.

To tell the truth I did not even bother with the reference lines on the plans.

Edited by greatgalleons

Thanks for the fast response. This is getting wild! I'm double checking the bulkheads against the plans and they are almost perfect. Only discrepancies is a 1/16" difference in length, on 2 of them. Other than that they are dead on. My concern is that when installed on the center keel, - I don't know what to call them so I'll call them "ribs". On the outer edge of the bulkhead the skinny parts that rise like ribs are all over the place. Some are too tall, some are too short. I understand the center keel has a contour wherein the center is lower that the stem and stern. Before I started, when I was tracing the reference lines...etc., other than a slight variation in length, the contour of the center keel was fine, everywhere. How in the world, can I be seeing so much problems during assembly?

So, I can either build up the shorter ribs, or shorten the taller. Seem the better idea would be to build up the short? Otherwise the planking will be off from the get go. Can you do me a favor and figure out what the height from the bulkhead that hold the deck to the top of the ribs should be? Say the center three, and the 2nd to the last of the stem and stern bulkheads? Looks like it's way to late in your build to do that.

Ideas?

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Brian, with all kits you really have to use you problem solving skills and use what works for you if the instructions don't make sense.

I don't consider myself an expert at modelship building, at almost 30 complete builds I'm still a novice at it. It keeps my hands busy.

Edited by greatgalleons

I see what you mean. AND, you gotta connect the dots to the rest of the build. You get fixated on a problem and forget to see what the impact might really be. I forgot it gets a simple rail on top of the bulkwark. See my challenge!

post-10291-0-01270700-1392518807_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Ah, now I get it. Wasn't sure what you meant on page three. That makes sense. THANKS!

Brian, AKA clewless. But loving it!

In Dry Dock:

I think Model shipways has the most comprehensive and detailed instructions and plans of all the kits available. It can seem confusing at times but makes sence as the build slowly comes along. I would not have attempted this build if I did not have a few other builds experience to fall back on.

It was the Wasa that started me on ship modeling, I wanted to build that model so desperately but had no modeling experience so I waited until I had built 8 models before before I started the Wasa and could do it justice.

It's easy to get ahead of the instructions provided so just take your time and it should turn out nicely.

I've been building plastic models since I was about 8 years old, but I've done so many that I could complete the most difficult in a couple days, detailed painting and all. I built the US constitution (I love the history of that ship) but of course plastic is an easy build, the deadeyes are all prefabbed.... Then a couple years ago the wife got me the wooden Constitution from Constructo for my birthday. Took me a year, a little here and there, but I'm hooked now! Great challenge. It looks "okay", I did a lot of cheating with the rigging, it took a bit to figure out I had to use stealers... etc on the planking. Never did do any ropes for the cannons:( my friends and neighbors don't know the difference though, so I'm happy with it.

Bought an "entry level" solid hull that I tossed because I followed the instructions and used a chisel. Should have bought a dremel. The Niagara was described as intermediate skill, and I do like the detailed instructions compared to the Constructo. English is definitely not their first language. - but I'm disappointed in the discrepancies in the way parts of this ship fit together. The Contructo kit parts were all but perfect.

I've loved tall ships since I was a kid and read Hornblower by C.S. Forrester. Just gotta find a place to put these things. I'm building these things in my garage, and no place to display them there. Too crowded with the '69 GTO I'm restoring. Next year I'm adding on to the garage and making a craft room. I'm designing it specifically for ship building and display cases.

Just looked at the Wasa. I think I'll wait until I have 40 or 50 build under my belt before I try that one:)

In Dry Dock:

Hi AJ, I'm a little late in following your log, but I'd definitely like to chime in with all of the positive feedback on your Niagara. Your ship is incredibly neat and clean. Very nice work.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, my good man. I'm looking and planning ahead and I see on the plans for transom planking and counter planks are 1/32" but I don't see where the other dimension is listed. 1/32" X what? They sure don't look square.

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Yea Brian , I had that problem also, I just used 1/32 thick planking on both. The counter planks I used were a little wider than the transome planks.

I have not started the mast and rigging yet, winter time plays havoc on my hands. Must be gettin' old or something.

Edited by greatgalleons

That's my question. 1/32" X what? It doesn't look like they're 1/32 X 1/32 square in your pictures.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're a heck of a lot older that me... I'm 52 and so far my hands are in good shape. Left knee, left ear, right eye, hips... and belly, not so much. :dancetl6:

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock: